Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2015, 17:20   #1

Boat: Santana 22
Deepwater movie

I just finished watching the documentary "Deep Water" which is the story of the 1968 Golden Globe race.

Several multi-hulls were entered in the race as well as mono-hulls. My question is this. For long distance solo crossings what is the advantages/disadvantages of each of these designs? I have read that the multi's are faster, but any other info would be greatly appreciated.
SUSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 17:35   #2

Re: Multi vs Mono

Popcorn......check.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 18:04   #3
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Hello SuSailor,
What you should try doing is going to the multihull forum section and start reading backwards through the posts. About every week someone posts this same question, so there must be at least 300 threads already with all kinds of answers. About 297 of them end up with "multihulls suck" "no they don't" "mono's rule" "multihulls fast" no "they sink". Over and over again.
Old 10-08-2015, 18:07   #4

Short answer?

Multis are lighter and accelerate faster as a result. They have two hulls which gives them a little edge when it comes to lateral resistance and track pretty well relative to their displacement. They have incredible initial stability so they heel little. They have no heavy keel so resist sinking due to an edge in reserve buoyancy.

Some down sides are, they have rather poor ultimate stability, they do not self right. They are lighter which results in a livelier ride. They are much more expensive to construct. They require duplicate systems for each hull, which is a bonus for safety and redundancy, but a negative for cost and complexity. They sit high in the water which is a benefit vs current but a negative for surface effects such as wave and wavelets.

It's pretty tough to beat an eggshell (monohull) for ultimate strength. Physics suggests that you cant.

Multis are fast, light, spacious and cool.

Monos are tough, with high ultimate survivability, cheap and cool.

I give neither an edge on comfort. Cats are often more comfortable in light-moderate conditions, Mono's are often more comfortable in moderate-heavy conditions.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 18:10   #5

Ok , if the question is" what do I like about my multihull?"
then the answer would be the shallow draught , not only for anchorage accessibility but also for sailing in shallow poorly charted areas.

Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 20:17   #6

Boat: Santana 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Short answer?

Multis are lighter and accelerate faster as a result. They have two hulls which gives them a little edge when it comes to lateral resistance and track pretty well relative to their displacement. They have incredible initial stability so they heel little. They have no heavy keel so resist sinking due to an edge in reserve buoyancy.

Some down sides are, they have rather poor ultimate stability, they do not self right. They are lighter which results in a livelier ride. They are much more expensive to construct. They require duplicate systems for each hull, which is a bonus for safety and redundancy, but a negative for cost and complexity. They sit high in the water which is a benefit vs current but a negative for surface effects such as wave and wavelets.

It's pretty tough to beat an eggshell (monohull) for ultimate strength. Physics suggests that you cant.

I give neither an edge on comfort. Cats are often more comfortable in light-moderate conditions, Mono's are often more comfortable in moderate-heavy conditions.

Thanks for the info. This pretty much answered my question.
SUSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 20:46   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSailor View Post
Thanks for the info. This pretty much answered my question.
Glad I could help out, no doubt I'm about to be flamed by a bunch of cat owners with very deep pockets and latitudes below 35 degrees.

FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 22:29   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Glad I could help out, no doubt I'm about to be flamed by a bunch of cat owners with very deep pockets and latitudes below 35 degrees.

Apart from the deep pockets, I'm one of those

You won't get a flame from me. I think you summed it up very well.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 23:37   #9

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Short answer?

A good summary. now, hold on to your and put on a helmet and me, I'll get out the popcorn and enjoy the show
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 14:24   #10

Boat: OEM, proportional
Re: Deepwater movie

Hmmm, just a lot of crunching of popcorn and twitching of hands near holsters.

We need someone with a hydrofoil to liven things up again....
Old 12-08-2015, 14:43   #11

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Deepwater movie

Pick up the book 'A voyage for madmen'. Great, easy to read book on the same race.

As for mono vs multis, one has gone through thousands of years of design to make the perfect blend of form and function, and the other looks like a rectangular patch of floating garbage

(I kid I kid!! All boats are good boats - except PWC. There are some really really sexy cats/tris out there and the advantages of more space and shallower draft are self explanatory)