Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2012, 04:02   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Cruising Spirit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
The video was good. Well narated, and I got the impression it was John who did the davit thing, not their idea at all.
Good kids having an adventure .
I can see giving John the broker blame for using the davits for stepping the mast but it was clearly the kids who chose to trespass on the unlocked boat to use the heads and galleys because it was unlocked.

Also it was Lisa who joked about their "late night, stealth, scavenging missions". That is a direct quote from the video. Might not stand up in court but idea of stealth scavenging in the dark of night does not evoke a good image in my mind.

Sure it was a good video and I admire the spirit of cruising on a budget but cannot in any way agree that it's OK to steal and trespass to support ones cruising plans.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 04:18   #17

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28

pretty sure he says outright that the plywood was stolen from construction sites... not my style but surely there are more unscrupulous crusiers out there
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 04:38   #18

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
Property is theft. If you have a nice boat, it's unethical to neglect it, and keep it locked while people live in squalorous conditions only meters away. This philosophy may not be popular with you, but it is popular with some. Ethics are subjective.
What's mine is mine, what's yours is negotiable? Looking for a free charter in PNW, where can I find your boat?
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 06:21   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressuredrop View Post
pretty sure he says outright that the plywood was stolen from construction sites... not my style but surely there are more unscrupulous crusiers out there
Thought I heard him say something about stolen plywood but didn't want to spend the time to rewind and listen to confirm.

I guess they would be more unscrupulous if he came and stole things at gunpoint instead of sneaking around in the dark.

At least they did seem to have some environmental awareness and expressed some concern about pollution and disposal of waste from their boat.
Old 31-05-2012, 07:35   #20

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I can see giving John the broker blame for using the davits for stepping the mast but it was clearly the kids who chose to trespass on the unlocked boat to use the heads and galleys because it was unlocked.

Sure it was a good video and I admire the spirit of cruising on a budget but cannot in any way agree that it's OK to steal and trespass to support ones cruising plans.

I agree trespass is trespass and wrong. A slightly mitigating factor is the fact that the 'caretaker' didn't boot them off and in fact seemed to condone their presense there.

As a kid I can remember 'borrowing' the use of things, always replaced or tidied up because I was 'brung up propper'!
Of course it was wrong, but no harm done.

Hopefully these guys would have had the decency to leave the borrowed kitchen in clean and tidy condition. They did seem to have a sense of karma and a social conscience.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 09:16   #21

Boat: Ohlson 38

Quote:

Until that maturity kicks in, they're just whining little dickheads who think the world owes them a living.

Most people who have anything going for them wise up before they've turned 20!!!!!
Exactly why I think that a little compassion is in order here. Everyone is at a different place on the path to wisdom-hood. You, having reached nearly the end of your life, have the benefit of hard experience that these kids are just beginning to acquire.

If I caught them on my boat, the gentleman would experience his first "real" ass kicking, and the females would learn that I'm not politically correct. Maybe I'd have them arrested. But it wasn't my boat and they made an entertaining video that I enjoyed, so I'm giving them a pass.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 11:07   #22

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

All points taken, I still liked the video immensely. I liked the "honesty" as they didn't have to say how they arrived at any of the supplies they acquired, yet pretty much admitted to stealing it. Okay, they stole it fair and square. I have hope they're not destined for a Life of Crime.
“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 11:28   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I agree trespass is trespass and wrong. A slightly mitigating factor is the fact that the 'caretaker' didn't boot them off and in fact seemed to condone their presense there.
Yes I noticed that. Wonder what the boat owner would think if he found out his caretaker was consorting with the very people he was hired to look out for?

Quote:
They did seem to have a sense of karma and a social conscience.
That indeed is somewhat mitigating in my mind.
Old 31-05-2012, 11:33   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
Exactly why I think that a little compassion is in order here. Everyone is at a different place on the path to wisdom-hood. You, having reached nearly the end of your life, have the benefit of hard experience that these kids are just beginning to acquire.

If I caught them on my boat, the gentleman would experience his first "real" ass kicking, and the females would learn that I'm not politically correct. Maybe I'd have them arrested. But it wasn't my boat and they made an entertaining video that I enjoyed, so I'm giving them a pass.
Compassion I agree might be in order, very much depending on the response if I caught them on my boat. No ass kicking but the right or wrong answer would determine whether or not they had free room and board at the local jail.

Hopefully they do grow up a bit and learn that it's not fair game to haul off anything not locked up or nailed down.
Old 20-06-2012, 10:53   #25

Boat: 28 ft Intrepid, hull #13
Thumbs up Re: Cruising Spirit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by POH View Post
Do you think these guys capture it?

https://vimeo.com/15351476

(Be prepared to lose an hour of your day)

Those guys & gals did indeed capture the cruising spirit and on every possible level. Thanks for sharing the link to a most compelling video.
S/V Blondie-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising