Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Old 07-05-2010, 15:02   #91
cruiser

Boat: Pegasus 45 25 Tons, "Pegasus"
Here we discuss anchors... hank on sails..... sailing up to anchor... kedging to a dock....
Working out sights, Estimating speed with a chip log... how to use a hand lead.. etc...

We also discuss how to prime and paint , how to find and seal leaks, and how to pay for it all...

On $ 500 per month...

INDY
Old 07-05-2010, 15:05   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by goprisko View Post
o because I do my laundry on rocks in a stream, or in a 5 gallon bucket... I use salt water for the washing and fresh for the rinsing.. I hang the laundry on the lifelines to dry. I know of many who insist that only an automatic washing machine will do...
Certainly don't need the machine - rocks or bucket is fine. BUT, I have read that it takes more freshwater to get the salt out than it would if you just washed in fresh - so wouldn't this method put a strain on your water-storage capacity? (Or have I been misinformed about the salt-water rinse-out problem?)
Old 07-05-2010, 15:09   #93
cruiser

Boat: Pegasus 45 25 Tons, "Pegasus"
St Frances YC Tinsley Island SFran CA...

I looked up the website for the St. Frances YC..

According to it the following applies to using Club Docks

2006 Rates for Use of Floats and Docks at San Francisco Clubhouse
  • Members - The first night shall be free. For additional days the rate shall be as set forth below. A member is limited to a maximum of 30 days of tie-ups during a calendar year.
Members - Year round rates per foot daily:
Dockage
Daily
Power Hook Ups
Daily
Through 40 Feet
.46 per foot
30 amp single plug 120 v
Included
41 feet through 70 feet
.62 per foot
30 amp double plugs 220 v
$17.00
71 feet through 100 feet
.73 per foot
50 amp single plug 220 v
$17.00
101 + feet
.89 per foot
50 amp double plugs 220 v
$30.00
100 amp single plug 220 v
$30.00

At $ 0.46 / ft-day our wanna be on his 32 ft boat Will be paying $450 / month to the club as dockage... leaves $ 50 / month for everything else...

HMMMM...........

INDY
Old 07-05-2010, 17:00   #94

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Do you really think a budget cruiser would get within spitting distance of the St Francis?

Old 07-05-2010, 17:05   #95

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
I lived aboard a 32 ft 4 ton boat for 8 years, 60,000 miles and three hurricanes. Three anchors, no winch, it was sufficient. Since then another 90,000 miles, haven't changed my mind yet.
Each to his own.

Old 07-05-2010, 17:55   #96
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
I mostly wear a speedo bikini
Way too much info dude!
Old 07-05-2010, 18:05   #97

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329
One way to collect anchors is...
Go to popular anchorages typically visited by weekend warriors. There are more than likely several lying on the bottom having been abandoned after a freak storm caught them off guard. It happened to me once at Cayo Costa near Ft Myers. We went back a month later to look for our anchor and found it along with 3 others. It took us hours to dig them out but 2 were very nice big danforths. Luck maybe, grey area criminal maybe, considered salvage high probability. Point is being resourceful could allow a person to carry free spares!
Old 07-05-2010, 18:28   #98
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:

We also discuss how to prime and paint , how to find and seal leaks, and how to pay for it all...

On $ 500 per month...

INDY
Very good point. share a beer with some cruisers and no one talks about sailing. Maybe a "that current was a bit sh&t" but the sailing is secondary, it´s all about maintenance. The rich ones about where to get the aircon fixed, the budget about the best back street fabricators are or where the car spares street is. And the bulk of the cruisers on a budget I´ve met aren´t interested in places where the rich hang out, off the beaten track is much more interesting.
Old 08-05-2010, 14:10   #99
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
I mostly wear a speedo bikini,
So do I!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mind you I nearly got arrested in the supermarket the other day. I think it was because the stuffing was coming out of the top and the store thought I was stealing stuff...

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 08-05-2010, 15:19   #100

Boat: Cape Dory
Quote:
For the reord

. . . for I or anyone to insist that a bucket properly managed cannot suffice is disengenuous, and self serving.

I mostly wear a speedo bikini, . . .

INDY
Ah, the poop bucket and the speedo -- the trustee friends of the $500 / mo cruiser. Deploy both devices and you are sure to eliminate any pesky budget busting female crew. Genious . . . genious!
Old 08-05-2010, 16:33   #101
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
So do I!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mind you I nearly got arrested in the supermarket the other day. I think it was because the stuffing was coming out of the top and the store thought I was stealing stuff...

It would have been worth almost the said $500 to NOT have this in my mind!
Old 09-05-2010, 00:25   #102

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
This anchor collection could prove to be a lucrative venture...

If you were as lacking in ethics as in cash, you could anchor some large-hole fishing net in a popular anchorage, and come back in a month.

"Fishing for anchors"
Old 09-05-2010, 03:16   #103

Boat: r then 33 Y amaha Feb 2014 just bought Alan Pape 43 ketch
FREE FRENCH MEDICAL

Hi GOPRISKO alias INDY I have TWICE asked you to clarify your statement on the original cruising on $500/month thread re free French medical aid. I repeat , if I sail to Martinique and need medical attention it will be free? This was your original claim- please clarify or must I use your " if you have issues with me use my personal e-mail ( given ) " route. I am sure many others on this forum would be interested in your answer

Clyde
Old 09-05-2010, 06:37   #104

Lets say I'm one of those that have little experiance cruising but before it gets cold want to set out. I have a boat that is older but in good shape concidering the age. I have very little history of my boat, but PO's have done thousands in upgrades.mostly plumbing.electrical and rigging extras for ease of sailing(traveler.furl sheet locks) so other then redoing some rigging and new sails our C-26 seems right for just 2.

I'm more then ready to eliminate any and all possesions into cash, which should cover the first yr even if I did nothing but work on the boat.

I already live a basic life style ( didn't own a TV untill getting married just a few yrs back. I have no need for fads gagets or useless extras. I don't even have a radio in my 46 yr old car. And at best I'm good for 1 alcohol drink a night before passing out.

I'm more then capable and working without feeling I'm to good for any job. Even after owning and operating a business for years.
Give me parts and tools and I can fix it, if being able to get boat repair work as we cruise would make life great.

I'm hopeing to do it on less then $1000 a month I'm a small guy that likes to eat...lols

If I read more from people like in this thread that say it can be done, I hope to set sail this fall.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:07   #105
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario G View Post
If I read more from people like in this thread that say it can be done, I hope to set sail this fall.
IT CAN BE DONE!!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising