Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2012, 16:59   #1

Boat: 1974 Cascade 36, 1970's martin 29 racer/cruiser, 40 indonesian teak atkinson project dual mast ketch
Cruising Cheap Revisited on 700 a Month

I have been going through the over 200 pages in the cruising for
500 a month thread and its closed wanted to add some suggestions.
It seems like all the people that say it can't be done are cruising 40 ft plus
Boats one guy was complaining about his tri hull no kidding its not for
A catamaran this is for someone cruising a 27 to 32 ft boat. What happend to
Cruising locally anyway I live in the vancouver area and there is some of the
Worlds best cruising waters here around the island the saun juans. Howe sound just look up the dreamspeaker book series if u don't take my word for it. California, florida, east coast as well. Its nice having a place that speaks englishand not 3rd world facilities sometimes. This post will be a little rough
Looking as I am entering it on my blackberry. Wood heat is a great option as
Its availible for free on every beach. 5 gallon water containers are affordable
To fill anywhere and wind is free for power and sailing. Hand stiching your own sails, keeping fiberglass and extra canvas on board and a cordless drill with screws will go a long way.

80 for transport ie local bus and bike repairs
150 for groceries
100 for boat fuel for generator dinghy outboard
50 for comunication cell phone web cafe etc..
100 for a case of good beer a week
100 repairs
120 left for entertainment and new electronics

This would be of course anchoring and using the dinghy to get to shore
The extra 200 allows for more repairs and fun and some wiggle room in
Case you need to pull into the dock for a couple days.
8400 a year to cruise and live is cheap even if u had to work for a crappy
12hr for 9 and a half months on this budget u would be cruising taking a year
Off. In short buy the boat whatever u can get that's decent I've seen ok
Short range 27-30 ft boats go in the 4000 range here.

Save up for a year buy the boat and head out otherwise you might be saving up
Your whole life and dreaming about what you could have done when your
70 in a nursing home.

Captain Shawn
Captain-Shawn28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 17:28   #2

Boat: Mac 26X
I followed that whole thread. What it comes down to is what you need to be happy, comfortable, and complete. I could easily do it on $500, my wife no so much.

I doubt this thread will end any better.
Old 17-12-2012, 17:56   #3

Boat: P30
Re: cruising cheap revisited on 700 a month

as ElGatoGordo mentioned above it is all about personal comfort levels.
I'm not "liveaboard" but i spent a summer on my 30' a few years back.
Since then i've tempered my approach and spend *much* of the summer aboard.

not to discourage you - yes you could do it but it doesn't leave much room for the unexpected....
IMO there will be unexpected things either in the form of social engagements or repairs/replacements...stuff breaks

Honestly here in the northeast i could blow that budget in one night meeting up with friends in NYC.
this past summer a freaky squall came thru and damaged the inflatable and some items on the stern.....just normal boating stuff but probably worth one month of your budget.
winter storage/tie up alone would blow the budget.

and then there are times on a 30 footer i just want off the boat - like when its raining for a week!
I always enjoy being on the boat....but 30' can get to me after awhile.
If your doing this with someone else......multiply by 2
Mileage will vary.
Old 17-12-2012, 18:00   #4

Re: Cruising Cheap Revisited on 700 a Month

To me more important than a fixed budget is just being smart in whatever area you're in. No reason to spend the same amount of money in the Med as in Baja where for ~400 miles there is literally nowhere to spend money.

Knowing how to not get ripped off and live as cheaply as you can without resembling a beggar is a good start.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 18:03   #5

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Whether $700 or $7000, remember that vulnerability comes from lack of flexibility. No matter how carefully you plan your budget, you also need to plan for unexpected costs and difficulties. Make sure you have a backup plan in place - several, in fact, would be wise if you are planning very tightly.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 18:09   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

There's a huge range of what can be done and what may be comfortable. We take some flight and shore trips; we don't own, but rent a car sometimes. We help support some family members and squirrell away $400/month for our own elder care hopefully in the distant future. There's a huge variety in the ways that people spend money and the bottom line for wisdom is to spend less than your income and to assign a task for all your money. Sure, the answer is,....Cruise on less than what you have!
Old 17-12-2012, 18:18   #7

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Shawn28 View Post
8400 a year to cruise and live is cheap even if u had to work for a crappy
12hr for 9 and a half months on this budget u would be cruising taking a year
Off. In short buy the boat whatever u can get that's decent I've seen ok
Short range 27-30 ft boats go in the 4000 range here.

Save up for a year buy the boat and head out otherwise you might be saving up
Your whole life and dreaming about what you could have done when your
70 in a nursing home.

Captain Shawn
Shawn,

I think you done something wise that most others have not by taking a realistic view, you have "boxed" your activity. Work for 9 - 10 months then take a year off. I think most posters asking this question don't box their activity or cruising location and they want to head off on an opened ended cruise. Of course, crap is going to break so maybe you don't sail for a year... you sail for 8 months.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 18:58   #8

Boat: 1974 Cascade 36, 1970's martin 29 racer/cruiser, 40 indonesian teak atkinson project dual mast ketch

Seriously in reply 700 a night with a few friends sure are u paying everyones tab? For 100 a night I can go out eat with a friend or 2 and get a fair amount of beer and 3 to 4 pictures in vancouver the most expensive city in canada and I'm not talking on skid row ethier where are you going the opera the 100 dollar plate trendy place. This is a thread about budget cruising not living thr 6 figure life on a boat. And pulling the boat out no this is cruising for a year the winter too. As far as the dinghy goes ever heard of craigslist or kijiji u can get a used 8 foot dinghy for 200 to 300 no problem with oars. Worst case you wait 2 weeks till you find a used dinghy gives u time to make repairs meet other cruisers and network for the next time your in that port and there is always the
Consignment section of any non rip off marine store. Avoid high priced places like west marine. Flying really?? Ever heard of a bus or even a cab? Or a cheap bike on board? As far as it raining a week what are you going to do on land hide out in the house from the rain anyway on the boat in the rain or in the house what's the difference with good heat insulation and no deck leaks your boat is just a bedroom and galley and bathroom anyway very similar to a 1 bedroom apartment.

Captain Shawn

I never forget to put on my yacht man blue in case of surprise special ocasions or the cabin shower is broke lol
Captain-Shawn28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 00:57   #9
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
I have been going through the over 200 pages in the cruising for 500 a month thread and its closed wanted to add some suggestions.
I dunno if you missed part II of that thread - which is still open (see the link in my sig).

I think you make fair points, certainly a point made a few times in those threads that cruising outside tourist areas is always cheaper and IMO doing so in temperate areas in the more developed countries can mean more easily and cheaply obtained resources to be had ashore - including work. Main downside is no 24/7 sun, but that not of interest to everyone.

The key (on whatever budget) is to be happy enough doing so - one size don't fit all.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 23:12   #10

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)
Wink Re: Cruising Cheap Revisited on 700 a Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
The key (on whatever budget) is to be happy enough doing so - one size don't fit all.
I agree. It's not the size that counts, it's what you do with it.
I could afford to live at a better standard than I do but upmarket lifestyle just does not appeal to me. As long as I have a few favourite luxuries then the unnecessary conspicuous consumption of an extravagant lifestyle is unnecessary and environmentally damaging.
A comfortable but modest budget is quite suitable. Also you meet a better class of people.
mausgras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 23:27   #11

Boat: P30

Quote:
Seriously in reply 700 a night with a few friends sure are u paying everyones tab? For 100 a night I can go out eat with a friend or 2 and get a fair amount of beer and 3 to 4 pictures in vancouver the most expensive city in canada and I'm not talking on skid row ethier where are you going the opera the 100 dollar plate trendy place. This is a thread about budget cruising not living thr 6 figure life on a boat. And pulling the boat out no this is cruising for a year the winter too. As far as the dinghy goes ever heard of craigslist or kijiji u can get a used 8 foot dinghy for 200 to 300 no problem with oars. Worst case you wait 2 weeks till you find a used dinghy gives u time to make repairs meet other cruisers and network for the next time your in that port and there is always the
Consignment section of any non rip off marine store. Avoid high priced places like west marine. Flying really?? Ever heard of a bus or even a cab? Or a cheap bike on board? As far as it raining a week what are you going to do on land hide out in the house from the rain anyway on the boat in the rain or in the house what's the difference with good heat insulation and no deck leaks your boat is just a bedroom and galley and bathroom anyway very similar to a 1 bedroom apartment.

Captain Shawn

I never forget to put on my yacht man blue in case of surprise special ocasions or the cabin shower is broke lol
aye aye captain
just offering my experience
misunderstood but it doesn't matter
let me know what happens when you need to be towed off the rocks and who you choose to bitch at
best of luck to ya.

a one bedroom apartment........hahahaha
Old 19-12-2012, 11:40   #12

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:

Captain Shawn

Shawn,

The run-on sentences are killing me!

-z
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 10:15   #13

When I have the $4,000-$6,000 saved up for my boat I will show ye how to survive and be comfortable on the sea. With little to no income, just good clean trade and barter.

Remember, no matter where you go.... There you are...use yourself and ability.

He or she who loves the sea knows there are comforts everywhere.
Old 22-12-2012, 10:39   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
................... Flying really?? Ever heard of a bus or even a cab? Or a cheap bike on board? .....................
Add me to the growing list of those that you have misunderstood. My point is that I do cruise on about $700/month and, by doing this, I can support some family members or fly to Cusco and visit Manchu Picchu. We do cruise with bicycles and use buses; however, we don't choose the expense of a taxi. I'm favoring the freedom that comes with living far below your income. I think that stands in agreement with the idea you've presented.
Old 22-12-2012, 10:43   #15
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyseadog View Post
When I have the $4,000-$6,000 saved up for my boat I will show ye how to survive and be comfortable on the sea. With little to no income, just good clean trade and barter.

Remember, no matter where you go.... There you are...use yourself and ability.

He or she who loves the sea knows there are comforts everywhere.

If you think you can do it on trade and barter (what are you c=going to trade and barter) why do yu need to wait to save up?

Please tell me what I would be interested in trading or bartering with you to exchange.

Tags
cheap, cruising