Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2016, 07:07   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: 'Captain's authority'

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
. . .Last year I was skippering a charter cat in the Virgins and one client asked me to flog her. I refused, she complained, I got fired! . . .
English girl, no doubt. They all seem to want to be spanked. Especially when they see your captain's hat. Weird socio-sexual culture
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 08:29   #32

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Humm...I boat in a state park where a beer can is not good if the rangers see it. I would not want a beer can on my boat in my particular case.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 08:44   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Humm...I boat in a state park where a beer can is not good if the rangers see it. I would not want a beer can on my boat in my particular case.

Not so where this fella was sailing.

Find another lake?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 08:48   #34

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Whether the people on the boat agree on it or not, in US waters, it is usually customary for law enforcement boardings to be asked who is the captain to take responsibility.

Eventually it may not matter, but if something is wrong, somebody is gonna get elected pretty quick.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 08:54   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Yep.

Think antifouling ... who needed antifouling when we were allowed to drag the crew under our keels?

Modern PC BS.

Last year I was skippering a charter cat in the Virgins and one client asked me to flog her. I refused, she complained, I got fired!

I am telling you: this world is rolling over.

Cheers,
b.
Why refuse? Did she want you to wear spike heels and black net stockings?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 09:01   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
English girl, no doubt. They all seem to want to be spanked. Especially when they see your captain's hat. Weird socio-sexual culture
Certainly just a small minority.

I bought a boat from an Englishman once. It came completely upholstered in red velvet and in a locker I found a 2' X 3' painted portrait of the PO wearing a bustier and a Nazi officers hat.

I didn't even want to know.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 09:03   #37

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

There are a lot of inland lakes that are in state parks. Or park of the lake is in a state park.

I will add to my comment about a beer can on my boat. If the beer can was old with scum growing on it and I could easily tell the rangers it was garbage and they would believe me then I would let it on the boat.

But again...if it looked like a new beer can ... nope, not on my boat. I did actually explain to friends - no beer because no alcholic beverages in state parks. Not my rule...but the state's rule. The rangers go after the 'owner' of the boat.

Now to add - on these lakes there are 80mph boats so no beer makes some sense.

tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 09:26   #38

I hesitate to make judgement on the 'Captain', since I haven't read his side of the story. Clearly, we are missing something here, folks.

Here's how my friends and I handle the Skipper duties while on bareboat charters:

The charter company will want one of us to be the assigned Skipper. We usually have the first one of us to get to the boat take on that duty, in order to expedite getting out of the marina. We try to have at least two of us attend the briefing session, usually it's the men. For some reason, the women aren't interested.

After we break away from the marina, we take turns at being Skipper-of-the-Day. The Skipper makes the decisions, thereby avoiding committee meetings and allowing the crew to be in vacation mods. In return, the Skipper-of-the Day does not do any chores, and if the Skipper is at the helm, he/she can request food and drink service from the crew. Some people prefer to be galley slaves over being Skipper; they are not forced to take a turn at Skippper.
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 14:24   #39

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillman5 View Post
The piece of garbage was a beer can, Captain gave no reason for not wanting the can put in the vessel's trash container. The harbor, if I remember correctly, may not have had trash disposal facility, so we would not have to trash disposal for another day (this would be worst case scenario) Can could be squished to minimize volume in vessel's trash container.
Then he started raving about Strawberries....
Old 04-08-2016, 09:46   #40

Boat: Morgan, OutIsland, 41

Quote:
Yep.

Think antifouling ... who needed antifouling when we were allowed to drag the crew under our keels?

Modern PC BS.

Last year I was skippering a charter cat in the Virgins and one client asked me to flog her. I refused, she complained, I got fired!

Cheers,
b.

We used to be able to drag members of the crew under the boat.....?

Darn, I never knew that.... Really could have come in handy.

As to flogging..... hummmmmmm...... uh, actually never mind, forget I brought that up.

As to the beer can, depending on where you are... It is illegal to pick up "Anything" from a reef. So, he was probably making sure the boat didn't get into any trouble. Better safe than sorry.

As to the "Captain" legal authority, again depending on where you are then different laws apply.

In international waters the Captain is the law and is whoever has contractually agreed to responsibility for the boat.

In US waters the captain is the law in certain circumstances.

In state controlled waters the captain might be the law, depends on the state.

In in overlapping jurisdictions like state/US and now UN, controlled parks the captain is the guy who owns the boat, maybe, again depends on the state.

In in overlapping jurisdictions like state/US controlled off shore waters, depends on the state and who might get the proceeds if the boat is worth seizing.

What happens if it's a state declared park with shared jurisdiction with federal and the UN, that is in off shore waters? ACKKKKKK......

Of course all this, except the international waters stuff, depends on the time of day, the direction the boat was headed, the exact position of the boat that was most convenient for whatever is trying to be put on the poor slob who might qualify, what law was passed this week, who claims jurisdiction loud enough and of course a million other factors I probably left out.

Now as to whether the Captain can marry folks in international waters....... Well yes, you will be legally married,,,,,, uh, till you get off the boat, or actually till you leave international waters. depends on where you get off and whether they recognize that type of marriage.

Now is any of the above true.

Maybe.

Best to consult a maritime lawyer, then a state bar member and then a US Attorney then a WIGI board and your spouse.

Of course none of this will probably apply in any other country.

When I got our boat I proudly told my wife... I am the Captain of this boat.

She smiled and said, yes, honey.......

And I am the Admiral of the fleet, and it's your turn to clean the heads.
Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:01   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
When I got our boat I proudly told my wife... I am the Captain of this boat.

She smiled and said, yes, honey.......

And I am the Admiral of the fleet, and it's your turn to clean the heads.

About a decade ago we instituted a rule that no one is allowed to use the head standing - except for cleaning, the seat is never up!
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:08   #42

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:41   #43

Boat: Shopping

I think it depends on the circumstances.

Coast Guard regulations, for instance, refer to the "operator" of a pleasure boat. If there is a collision, they're going to want to know who was driving, not who was the self-proclaimed captain. On the other hand, if there is damage to the boat, the charter company will look to who signed the contract, and that person, in my view, by virtue of their increased legal risk, gets a big say in how the boat is operated. So, if I'm driving the boat, I'm not going to do something I think is unsafe because I am told to by the "captain," unless I have a lot of respect for the "captain's" greater experience, etc. I might just turn the helm over to the "captain." (If I REALLY think it is unsafe, we might have to fight. Mutiny?). On the other hand, if I signed the charter contract, I think I get to tell the person at the helm, "No, we are not going to anchor 4 feet from that rock."

Suppose you get pulled over by the USCG, and heavens to betsy, the flares are out of date (or worse, fuel is leaking into the water). Who gets fined? The charter company, as the owner? The person who signed the charter contract? The self-proclaimed "captain"? The operator? I don't know; hope somebody does.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:03   #44
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Potentially the "captain" was keeping a dry boat and was a little paranoid about impressions. In this case he could have explained easily.

Other than that, if it wasn't a dry boat....
Old 04-08-2016, 18:24   #45

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Yep.

Cheers,
b.
Quiet right, what's the world coming to when one cannot rely upon maritime professionals to administer a little S&M
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain