Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2018, 10:28   #31

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
Re: building a 9' wood dinghy.. best model?

D4 - Only 8 feet but free and easy... https://bateau.com/freeplans.php
Old 29-07-2018, 21:56   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
D4 - Only 8 feet but free and easy... https://bateau.com/freeplans.php
I helped build the 14’ canoe from the free plans offered on the same page. The plans were pretty nice and easy to follow.
https://jmlynn.smugmug.com/Boats/Mus...tica-Housefly/

If you decide to build a little pram, I would go ahead and spend the $45 for the new improved D5 plans rather than using the free plans for the D4.
Old 30-07-2018, 04:31   #33

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Quote:
Originally Posted by centerline View Post
I am looking at building a dinghy that suits us better than what we can afford otherwise...
we currently have an 8ft WalkerBay, and it works for our basic need, but isnt quite big enough for my wife and I to find any comfort in when using it to sight see from....

I DONT want, and WONT have an inflatable, so there is no need to try and convince me they are the best, as they are NOT the best for every usage, but only another option.... they are too heavy and bulky for my liking.

I would like opinions on the hard shell dinghys/tenders others may have, and the pros and cons you see with the model you have..

there are plans for simple pram designs, and more complex multihull designs, and the conventional monohull types to choose from, but I cant decide without more information.

I want somerthing in the 8.5 to 9.5 ft range, with a bit more beam (stability) than the walker bay, and light enough for 1 person to handle (100lbs or less)... if you have any suggestions for a simple built, wood dinghy that may fit my needs, I would like to hear from you or see a link showing the model you refer to.... Thanks
I built a Chameleon nesting dinghy and can't praise it enough. I looked into smaller non-nesting dinghies, but in the end, I thought they would be too small and not have the load-carrying capacity and stability of a bigger dinghy. The Chameleon is approximately 11 feet (I forget the exact length), but it has a very small footprint when stored on deck. It carries 4 people with their stuff quite easily. It rows like a rocket too! The only drawback is that you have to assemble it when you get to an anchorage (it takes less than 5 minutes. I do it in the water, not on deck).

The plans are pretty good, but if you've never lofted before, order the full-size plans. Danny Greene (the designer) responds to emails during construction if you have doubts.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 04:51   #34

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
I built a Chameleon nesting dinghy and can't praise it enough. I looked into smaller non-nesting dinghies, but in the end, I thought they would be too small and not have the load-carrying capacity and stability of a bigger dinghy. The Chameleon is approximately 11 feet (I forget the exact length), but it has a very small footprint when stored on deck. It carries 4 people with their stuff quite easily. It rows like a rocket too! The only drawback is that you have to assemble it when you get to an anchorage (it takes less than 5 minutes. I do it in the water, not on deck).

The plans are pretty good, but if you've never lofted before, order the full-size plans. Danny Greene (the designer) responds to emails during construction if you have doubts.
I have one but suggest that 4 people might be a bit much if it's a bit choppy, but OK in calm conditions if they are not overweight and have recently been to the toilet !!!
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 04:58   #35

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
I have one but suggest that 4 people might be a bit much if it's a bit choppy, but OK in calm conditions if they are not overweight and have recently been to the toilet !!!
I suppose it depends on the size of the people! But 4 is certainly the limit.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 05:32   #36

Boat: 1913 Gaff Cutter yacht 28'

If you are looking for a traditional 9' clinker (lapstrake) design for home build, you could do a lot worse than look at the website for Stirling and Son, Plymouth, England. I bought the plans and accompanying CD for pounds 50 sterling and built the dinghy as a tender to my yacht. The sense of security, as compared with an inflatable is wonderful.
Sauntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 10:45   #37

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauntress View Post
If you are looking for a traditional 9' clinker (lapstrake) design for home build, you could do a lot worse than look at the website for Stirling and Son, Plymouth, England. I bought the plans and accompanying CD for pounds 50 sterling and built the dinghy as a tender to my yacht. The sense of security, as compared with an inflatable is wonderful.
I doubt many folk on this forum will follow your lead with this Sauntress; much too traditional for most of 'em requiring maintenance of the type they tend to shy away from like 'brightwork' … nah, just can't see them embracing it at all. They don't even like teak decks let alone an all wood classic dinghy. Pity, it's a beauty!
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 11:47   #38

Have a look at Devlin Design's Polliwog 8.
It is a plywood, stich and glue rowing dinghy.

Devlin's website:
https://www.devlinboat.com/wordpress1/2015/11/polliwog/

You-tube video:
missourisailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:18   #39

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

Have a look for an AURAY punt, 9'9", wood, We built one, handles 4 foot waves, I've had 600 lbs in it ....CAREFULLY...plans and sheet layout on the net free ..somewhere

Bill

[QUOTE=centerline;2682554]I am looking at building a dinghy that suits us better than what we can afford otherwise...
we currently have an 8ft WalkerBay, and it works for our basic need, but isnt quite big enough for my wife and I to find any comfort in when using
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:10   #40

Boat: O'Day-25

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...MHWabeXZ3zwUpY
KPowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:47   #41

Have a look at this site, they have many skin-on-frame boats, some with ply bottoms, that are really light weight. 8 foot tender at 29 pounds (13 kgs). I've built a skin on frame, and they are lots tougher than they look.

Our Boats - Geodesic AiroLITE Boats
Rough Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 03:02   #42

Try looking at the 9'6" Nutshell dinghy. They are available as plans, kits and finished boats
https://www.woodenboatstore.com/prod...enders_-_prams
Many years ago I built one and used it as a tender for a number of years. It is quite pretty to look at and strong but light. It rowed and sailed well and also took a 2hp outboard.
John Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:54   #43

Boat: Cal 34-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
Well Centreline, there's all the options. Only you can decide which is best for yourself, so what have you decided? We are all anxious to know? Or were you just trolling?
not trolling... just busy.

I havent decided on which one I want, but I have decided on a pram style, as they seem to have a wider beam to give the most room and still be the simplest to build.
I have gotten a lot of good suggestions and some very beautiful boats, but the nice lines and looks of it doesnt get me to where I want to go..
I am a craftsman so I know what a good build is, and for us the dinghy is a work boat, so utility is much higher on the list than what it looks like from a distance.

I have also seen a few catamaran styles that would work very well, as they are stabile and depending on design, they can ride a bit drier in chop, but they seem to be a bit heavier than the pram style....
Old 05-08-2018, 08:10   #44

Boat: Cal 34-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
I doubt many folk on this forum will follow your lead with this Sauntress; much too traditional for most of 'em requiring maintenance of the type they tend to shy away from like 'brightwork' … nah, just can't see them embracing it at all. They don't even like teak decks let alone an all wood classic dinghy. Pity, it's a beauty!
I strongly agree with this....

we ALL like a good looking boat, but for a little "work" boat that is going to get abused a bit, I see little reason in building a masterpiece.

its my opinion that a work boat that is a bit rough and showing signs of wear and tear is considered to be about normal, but a very beautiful, fully functional piece of "art" must be maintained in its beautiful condition or it looks very neglected... which is quickly converted, by most people, to an opinion of the owner in how he could have so little care to let such a nice looking craft get in such bad condition.... I dont want a high maintenance dinghy

Tags
dinghy, model