Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2018, 08:38   #1

Boat: Cal 34-III
building a 9' wood dinghy.. best model?

I am looking at building a dinghy that suits us better than what we can afford otherwise...
we currently have an 8ft WalkerBay, and it works for our basic need, but isnt quite big enough for my wife and I to find any comfort in when using it to sight see from....

I DONT want, and WONT have an inflatable, so there is no need to try and convince me they are the best, as they are NOT the best for every usage, but only another option.... they are too heavy and bulky for my liking.

I would like opinions on the hard shell dinghys/tenders others may have, and the pros and cons you see with the model you have..

there are plans for simple pram designs, and more complex multihull designs, and the conventional monohull types to choose from, but I cant decide without more information.

I want somerthing in the 8.5 to 9.5 ft range, with a bit more beam (stability) than the walker bay, and light enough for 1 person to handle (100lbs or less)... if you have any suggestions for a simple built, wood dinghy that may fit my needs, I would like to hear from you or see a link showing the model you refer to.... Thanks
Old 26-07-2018, 11:13   #2

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: building a 9' wood dinghy.. best model?

B&B yachts has a range of dinghy plans for DIY construction including nesting versions.

https://bandbyachtdesigns.com/#
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 11:34   #3

Boat: Nordhavn 47

Chesapeake Light Craft has a nice selection
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 12:09   #4

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

Dave Gerr has free plans for building his Nester, a approx. 11' nesting tender that is less than 6' long nested. Lots of room and capacity, a good design by a pro. The Nester and plans for it are in his book "The Nature of Boats" which is well worth owning. It is an excellent and very useful reference.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 12:11   #5

Boat: Passport 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkleins View Post
Chesapeake Light Craft has a nice selection
I’m currently building a CLC Eastport Pram. The kit was about a grand but you can purchase plans only if you want. It is 8’ long and will weigh about 60lbs. The kit is probably going to take a couple weeks for me to complete. It’s not hard; I would highly recommend.

CLC also has a 10’ dinghy called the Tenderly which has a traditional bow and looks absolutely gorgeous. However it’s a bit harder to build and weighs around 120 lbs I think.
Mediator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 13:05   #6

Boat: Tartan 3800

I've done a lot of window shopping. You should consider:

Fatty Knees
Trinka

These are designed specifically as tenders.

Not available as kits or plans, as far as I know, but they might give you some ideas
Jammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 13:23   #7

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

CLC as others have pointed out: I have their Whitehall Skiff, the Chester Yawl, on snap davits on my swim platform. It was fun to build and seems to be a sturdy design.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 14:19   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Olson 30

Many years ago I built my first dinghy from plans in a library book. It was a horrible boat, but made a truly interesting end table.

I went back to the library and stuck a note in the book "Do not build this boat!"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FG-1.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	174396  
Old 26-07-2018, 23:54   #9

Smile Re: building a 9' wood dinghy.. best model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator View Post
I’m currently building a CLC Eastport Pram. The kit was about a grand but you can purchase plans only if you want. It is 8’ long and will weigh about 60lbs. The kit is probably going to take a couple weeks for me to complete. It’s not hard; I would highly recommend.

CLC also has a 10’ dinghy called the Tenderly which has a traditional bow and looks absolutely gorgeous. However it’s a bit harder to build and weighs around 120 lbs I think.
Thanks... I really do like the look of the eastport pram, but I want something about a foot longer.... I have the room for it and another foot will increase the comfort of it.. but the Tenderly is a bit too big... im looking for no more than 9'3" in length..

some are suggesting that I buy a ready made boat, and if my budget allowed that, I wouldnt be here asking about good kit boats that I can build myself..
Old 27-07-2018, 05:17   #10

Boat: Nordhavn 47

I think CLC has a larger one that comes nested as well maybe the “Passagemaker”?
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 05:34   #11

Boat: Nonsuch 30

What about a nesting dinghy? We built a Chameleon and are quite pleased with it. it is a bit larger than you mentioned, around 10 feet but each have weighs about 50 pounds and it stores in a small footprint.
Old 27-07-2018, 05:50   #12

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

I have a 12' Folda Bote and other than the plastic seats (Which I plan to replace) I love it. Gives us plenty of room for us and our groceries\water and moves through the water a lot better than our inflatable under power and rowing.

If I was to build a dinghy, I think I would go with something like what I saw "The Sailboat Story" build, just maybe not nesting. I've added a link to the videos of the build, he kept track of his time so you have an idea of what you are getting yourself into.

Good luck,

https://youtu.be/Z-2DjXKsF7Q
sguerrero1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 08:17   #13

thank you for all the replies... the suggestions offered have been helpful.

what I have seen so far in my searching thru the links that have been given, I have found two boats that may fit my desires, but im still looking at other options as I havent seen enough to sell me on either design...

Sherpa.... https://www.offcenterharbor.com/2017...sherpa-dinghy/

Unicat.... https://www.woodenboat.com/boat-plans-kits/unicat-24

I like the lines of the sherpa, and the stability and simplicity of the unicat, although the unicat may not lend itself well as a sailer...

another option that I want to incorporate into what ever design I decide to build, is longitudal/center line seating, so that when someone is setting in in, it will always be balanced.

the walker bay that we have with its Thwart seating, is always unbalanced, and very uncomfortable to operate the motor from any position, and still keep the boat level, no matter if there is 1, or 2 people in the boat. and the center thwart is in the wrong place for a 6'1" guy to row from... and when rowing, there is no comfortable way for 2 people to keep the boat level...

so I think the seating down the center of the boat would be a more reasonable design... but im still looking.
Old 27-07-2018, 08:32   #14

Boat: Outbound 46

I have been lusting over this tender for several months. I'll probably pull the trigger next spring:

The Lawton Tender | Newfound Woodworks Inc, Bristol, New Hampshire
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 08:32   #15

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey DS43

Consider the Optimist. An international one-design and a very active racing class among transfers.
Chalifour is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, model