Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2016, 15:34   #331
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II
Re: Boarding someone elses boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sea View Post
RamblinRod, that seems like a pretty reasonable approach. Are you reasonable enough to admit that halyards slapping all night bother the living hell out of some people? And that without the convenient recourse to marina regulations, those of us who aren't as laid back as you about slapping halyards should reasonably expect courtesy and consideration from nearby neighbors to silence their slapping halyards?
Admit slapping halyards may bother some people? What do you mean "admit"? I've stated this emphatically multiple times throughout this thread. Some people let slapping halyards, wind whistling, birds chirping, and children laughing bother them to no end.

The problem really isn't the noise maker, it's the person's response to it. If a halyards slaps in the empty marina, does it make a sound? (The answer is no, but that's a different matter.)

If a halyard slaps and people enjoy the sound, is it noise? (Again the answer is no.)

So if 51% of marina stayers enjoy the sound of halyards in the wind, should all be required to let their halyards slap?

Everyone can expect courtesy. Some deserve it. Some maybe not. Not everyone who deserves it, gets it. Some who don't, do.

If the halyards are getting to someone, maybe it's time they got off the dock and go sailing for a change. Maybe after a few days of fresh air, and the natural sounds of a boat going through the wind and water, the sounds of slapping halyards will be less aggravating to them.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 16:25   #332

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Admit slapping halyards may bother some people? What do you mean "admit"? I've stated this emphatically multiple times throughout this thread. Some people let slapping halyards, wind whistling, birds chirping, and children laughing bother them to no end.

The problem really isn't the noise maker, it's the person's response to it. If a halyards slaps in the empty marina, does it make a sound? (The answer is no, but that's a different matter.)

If a halyard slaps and people enjoy the sound, is it noise? (Again the answer is no.)

So if 51% of marina stayers enjoy the sound of halyards in the wind, should all be required to let their halyards slap?

Everyone can expect courtesy. Some deserve it. Some maybe not. Not everyone who deserves it, gets it. Some who don't, do.

If the halyards are getting to someone, maybe it's time they got off the dock and go sailing for a change. Maybe after a few days of fresh air, and the natural sounds of a boat going through the wind and water, the sounds of slapping halyards will be less aggravating to them.

Your suggestion for a poll sounds like even more fun than "EU - in or out?" if that's possible.

Need to think of an unbiased title though.

"Do you love musical halyards or are you a miserable old git?"

suit you OK?
unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 19:07   #333

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

If I allowed my horns to make prolonged sounds every few minutes because I forgot to turn off the fog signal (or intentionally turned them on to annoy you), is that any different than allowing one knowingly causing halyard slap? Come to think of it, during restricted visibility, it could be legal/required to sound the horns.

Old 21-02-2016, 08:30   #334
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
If I allowed my horns to make prolonged sounds every few minutes because I forgot to turn off the fog signal (or intentionally turned them on to annoy you), is that any different than allowing one knowingly causing halyard slap? Come to think of it, during restricted visibility, it could be legal/required to sound the horns.

Of course it's not the same thing.

One is a natural occurrence when any line is tensioned in the wind. Leaves, branches, and vines in trees do exactly the same thing.

There is also a big difference between not tying off halyards, and intentionally operating a horn. The latter is purposeful to make noise, the former not necessarily so.

Again, if slapping halyards bother someone, maybe they should get off the freakin' dock and go sailing, to get used to the sound of the wind in the rigging again.

If they are a power boater, their loud rumbling engines prolly annoy a lot of boaters. Perhaps they shouldn't operate them within ear shot of another boater.

Again, everyone just needs to chill and get over themselves, learn to enjoy the sounds that boats make, and be tolerant of those around them, or pick another pastime.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 08:35   #335

Send a message via Yahoo to jlindroos

No question! That is also what Good Seamanship is all about. Of course you help your fellow sailor.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
jlindroos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 04:41   #336
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlindroos View Post
No question! That is also what Good Seamanship is all about. Of course you help your fellow sailor.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Welcome aboard CF, jlindroos; good attitude
and your first post since joining in 2008!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 06:39   #337

Well according to the replies you would have a 1 chance in 336 of going on the wrong boat to do a good deed. I guess a lot of those 336 replies were from the same people but you get my drift. I would also help a fellow sailor secure his boat if he were not around. If it pissed him off I would just apologize and go on my way. You can't please everyone so just do the right thing that you think is right.
Old 24-11-2023, 14:41   #338

EZ fix if I may make a suggestion. Chuck your phone and email on your boat in as big of characters as you'd like others to read at a distance from, so they can contact you. A lot of things can be solved with a little respectful communication! And how handy would it be if good Samaritans informed of issues directly to your smart phone? Let's work together peeps! 😉
rangerdave8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2023, 14:58   #339

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Of course it's not the same thing.

One is a natural occurrence when any line is tensioned in the wind. Leaves, branches, and vines in trees do exactly the same thing.

There is also a big difference between not tying off halyards, and intentionally operating a horn. The latter is purposeful to make noise, the former not necessarily so.

Again, if slapping halyards bother someone, maybe they should get off the freakin' dock and go sailing, to get used to the sound of the wind in the rigging again.

If they are a power boater, their loud rumbling engines prolly annoy a lot of boaters. Perhaps they shouldn't operate them within ear shot of another boater.

Again, everyone just needs to chill and get over themselves, learn to enjoy the sounds that boats make, and be tolerant of those around them, or pick another pastime.
OK, let's try another one...

A racing boat with an aluminum foil for the jib leaves the boat without securing the foil. This makes a horrendous racket. It's a sound the boat makes "naturally". I had a neighbor do this all the time. Every time I had to go onboard and fix it I made it less and less convenient to untie the lines I needed to put on to secure it. Probably petty, but damn it was annoying.

Not tying off your halyards is just rude. You can always tell a marina with a high p[ercentage of liveaboards. In anything like normal weather, there are no slaping halyard. the people who live there tie off their own, and if they have a sloppy neighbor, they tie off theirs too. Soon the whole marina is quiet. Like it should be.

Leaving halyards to bang against the mast it just terrible for the paint on the mast, and for the line too. So not only is it being a bad neighbor, it is being a bad sailor too.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2023, 18:06   #340

Boat: O'Day 30 CB

I regularly board other peoples' boats.

Mostly, it's when I see a docking in the process of going wrong. I'm on a tight canal, so this is common. I try to hop on the docked boat and prevent an allision from the incoming vessel. A timely fender in the right place can save a lot of damage and discussion.

I have searched boats looking for suitable lines to secure the boat. If I hadn't, the poorly tied boat, and her neighbors, would have needed more than cosmetic fiberglass repairs.

The most extreme was boarding other peoples' boats, untying them, and shoving them out to sea. If I hadn't, they would have burned at the dock. (In truth, I cut some of the lines.) I hate marina fires....

I hope that if my boat ever needs attention, some good person might take care of mine.
kayakerChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2023, 18:36   #341

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
Not tying off your halyards is just rude. You can always tell a marina with a high p[ercentage of liveaboards. In anything like normal weather, there are no slaping halyard. the people who live there tie off their own, and if they have a sloppy neighbor, they tie off theirs too. Soon the whole marina is quiet. Like it should be.
My 400ish slip marina is around 95% power boats. My section is completely power boats and me on a sailboat. My boat was setup so no halyard slap existed, and my dock neighbours said more than once they appreciated it a ton. Never owning a boat before, I had no idea what they were on about.

Along comes a new neighbour halfway through the season on a beautiful sail boat but with horrible slap. It was literally the only sound heard from midnight to 6am. They basically parked it and never showed back up for a month. Drove everyone nuts. They even said “see this is what drives power voters crazy about sailboats.” Someone did fix it after a week or so, and the owners did show up eventually and apologized.

But I finally understood the frustration.
Ixium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2023, 13:04   #342

Boat: Morgan 321

I work at a Marina. Many of our slip holders live hours away. We regularly walk the docks, especially in a heavy blow, and fix dock lines, furl loose sails, tie down flapping sail covers, recover stuff blown overboard, etc. This is part of the service we provide and it makes the slip holders feel comfortable knowing someone is looking out for them.

Other slip holders have also been known to secure sails and lines. It is part of the community culture in our marina and no one would think of litigating because that is the culture in our marina. Every marina has it's own unwritten community rules.

It takes a village and all that.
Redboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2023, 13:23   #343

Boat: Sabre 34II

I guess I will throw in my 2c in this newly revived thread - I won’t mind someone stepping on my boat to tie loose lines or take care of whatever safety issue they may find, I feel the overall boating community will tolerate (unknowingly) helping each other out.

Now, since someone mentioned that powerboaters are annoyed by my halyard slapping I may have to try it sometime, there’s nothing more that’ll bring me more joy.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2023, 13:31   #344
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotical View Post
Now, since someone mentioned that powerboaters are annoyed by my halyard slapping I may have to try it sometime, there’s nothing more that’ll bring me more joy.
well that would make you an a.....e
Old 25-11-2023, 13:42   #345

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Do unto others...I have boarded other boats numerous times to sort out problems, including anchoring or reanchoring boats adrift, retieing in marinas, lashing off sails, etc. People have done the same for me, and I was grateful. This summer someone bailed my dinghy for me after some heavy rain and I wasn't around. I would be more annoyed by the marina that doesn't take care of these things.