Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2015, 14:31   #226

Re: Boarding someone elses boat

Oh well, I'll still take the risk, and help people if their boat is in trouble while they're away. If anyone wants to prosecute me for it I suppose I'll just go shopping for a hit man... I guess everything comes with a degree of risk...
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 16:07   #227

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
An instance in this thread that gives me pause is where the poster claimed to have removed the offending halyard when another boat owner refused to frap it. That requires the owner to re-run the halyard in the absence of a messenger line. To me, that would escalate an already bad situation, and I wouldn't do that. But then, the problem becomes "how can I best take care of myself given this aggravation?" If the owner is absent, no problem, I take some old string and tie it off--quick, easy, does no harm. He/she has to deal with the fact that someone boarded his boat without being invited, and with untying the string, not much inconvenience. In most cases where I know of this happening, the owner feels appropriately embarrassed, and one usually winds up being friends.
The perpetrator of the rattling halyards had been approached a number of times regarding the nuisance he was causing and people had gone aboard the vessel and tied off or moved the halyards to stop them rattling on a number of occasions however it became obvious to the affected live-aboard yachting community that they were dealing with an obdurate recalcitrant (there is the odd one about) and that he appeared to derive some sort of gratification from the problem he was repeatedly causing.

He did have to shimmy up the mast a couple of times to replace the halyards and many of us derived a good deal of pleasure from observing his humiliation whilst he did so. Justice was done.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 19:56   #228

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Maybe Jammer Six would at least share the name of his boat if someone asked.

Matters not to me being thousands of miles away. But might save others an unpleasant exchange of words worse.
Old 19-02-2015, 03:36   #229

Boat: Sabre 426
Here is something to ponder. I returned to my boat after several days and upon boarding noticed things slightly amiss and a tad dirtier than I left it. As it turns out a rather large gentleman from a transient boat next to mine had fallen off the end of the finger pier.

Since it was midweek there were only the one or two liveaboards in the marina when they heard his wifes screams. They rushed to see and found him in the water already exhausted. The water in the marina was in the 50`s (early spring lake Michigan).

The liveaboards also of advanced age could not hoist him out of the water from the pier. So my boat with a step transom and swim ladder turned out to be the perfect rescue platform. His boat didn't have one. They helped him make his way to my stern and it took everyone there to help him navigate up the ladder and into the cockpit.

Chances are if my boat was not in the slip or another without the step transom and ladder this gentleman may have likely drowned.

So I guess if I thought like some, the decision would be to not board my boat and in return let the gentleman die.
dp1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 03:50   #230
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
Our opinions (and our approaches) are different there, too.

I think this tactic will be far more effective, and this thread has convinced me of that.
Err... more effective for what?

I can't quite see what you are achieving with this tactic, could you please enlighten me?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 13:57   #231

Boat: Pearson 28.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
What if there's no harbour, let alone harbourmaster?

How about a dragging anchor? I've twice boarded boats that were dragging, one was completely adrift, nowhere near enough scope out, the other was nearly into a beach. (Having just missed our boat.)

In both instances I just let out more chain so the anchor grabbed, then left.
(I've actually done this three times, but one time I was able to reach the windlass deck switch from my dinghy, so didn't need to go aboard.)
Good Points, Cat, and I'd help out here too. I'm sure the owners appreciated your help here.

There is an OBLIGATION to give assistance for saving of lives:
§2304. Duty to provide assistance at sea
(a)(1) A master or individual in charge of a vessel shall render assistance to any individual found at sea in danger of being lost, so far as the master or individual in charge can do so without serious danger to the master's or individual's vessel or individuals on board. (attrib-.gov website)

By extension it is reasonable to do the same for another's property, but I would balance the potential risk of loss with the nature of the trespass. Or basically the golden rule.
Kenichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 14:04   #232

Boat: Pearson 28.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by samen II View Post
It's reassuring to Read people will take action when it's needed and can be done. I would do the same thing. But as someone already noted this World is changing fast!
Here's some food for thoughts.
A good friend of mine is a Marina manager in The South of France. He told me one day a France sailingboat is entering the marine shouting for help: the boat is making water and sinking fast! The hauling-out facilities are nearby and availible so he decided to give a helping hand.
Four months later the Marina receives a huge claim, for damaging this sailboat because it was hauled-out!

There you go, happy sailing!
And the boat-in-distress here sounds like it is trying to avoid salvage claims.
Kenichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 15:09   #233

Boat: 535 Norseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
No chance. I'm not advertising anything, and there's no valid reason for it. I don't post my phone number on my car, my home or in rest stop restrooms.

If you saw my home burning or my car was hit by bus, the authorities would contact me.

My boat is no different.

If you "saw smoke billowing" from either my home, my car or my boat, call the fire department, or just watch. It takes a certain kind of fool to run into a burning building with a fire hose or a fire extinguisher. My children were taught at a very early age not to do that.

"I can help, I see smoke, and I have a fire extinguisher!"

More of that arrogance I was talking about.
I find this thread very interesting as there is a lot of grey area. Personally I would want someone to come on my boat if they saw major damage taking place that could immediately be remedied such as a jib that had come out from a furler - but that's just me. Typically in these scenario's you call the marina..... if there is time.

However, in some cases - (fire, parted lines, etc,) what your not considering is the proximity of YOUR problem to someone else's boat (and/or home). For instance, a line parts and is headed towards the boat next to you... is that person supposed to sit there and let your boat run into theirs?!? Or a fire... all well and good to let that little trickle of smoke light up in a house and just call the fire department as the other houses are far enough away - in a marina that means 4 to 5 boats in the immediate vicinity are directly and immediately in harms way. Now your problem is also their immediate problem.

You seem to want to paint everything as black and white, but it's not. Perhaps the easiest solution is to keep your boat at anchor? Not trying to be rude, but your problems (those that can cause personal harm and property damage - not annoyances such as halyards), are your neighbors problems too. I do, however agree that slapping halyards, fenders, etc are not a reason to board a boat.
memiller279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 19:39   #234

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Jammer, you have made your desires quite well known now, and while I don't agree with them, I will accept them as being what you truly want.

Now, would you be willing to explain to those of us who hold different opinions WHY it is so important to you that no one step foot upon your boat? It is difficult for me to understand your extreme reluctance to allow this simple and generally harmless act. I am not arguing that you don't have the right to prevent this sort of trespass, I am wondering what causes you to exercise the right so vigorously.

Jim
I'm also interested in the answer to this. The only thing I can come up with is that is boat is very over insured and he doesn't want anyone messing up his payday.

I add my wish that if my boat is in trouble do what you can an I will thank you. (Even though my insurance is payed up. )
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 18:49   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
You're entitled to your own opinion but you're not entitled to your own facts. The fact is that the majority support providing assistance.

You may be a strong introvert or may suffer from antisocial personality disorder, could be many possibilities here ... but really, you're denying the obvious now.
For me someone who could walk past a slip where a boat has slipped its mooring and not give a damn or do anything about it is telling us he or she is a sociopath. A very sick and disturbed person and potentially even dangerous. Having no care or empathy towards others that would not attend to a sail that had come loose but instead let it get ripped and shredded or not fix an untied rope and allow a persons pride and joy to be severely damaged. I am very disturbed by the sociopathic behavior being promoted by some in this thread.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:51   #236

Boating is a lot different than 30 years ago. And so are people. I found Mercedes in a parking lot with the door open and they keys in it. 30 years ago I would have just got the keys and locked and locked the car left a note. Your keys are at customer service counter. I stopped one person and told them the situation and I needed a witness that im not trying to take the car. Helping the wrong person can be an experience. For the most part people are good but you don't want to get the guy that blames you for damage. Would I board the boat and help. Yes but in the back of my mind I pray it wasn't the wrong person I helped.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:58   #237
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
For me someone who could walk past a slip where a boat has slipped its mooring and not give a damn or do anything about it is telling us he or she is a sociopath. A very sick and disturbed person and potentially even dangerous. Having no care or empathy towards others that would not attend to a sail that had come loose but instead let it get ripped and shredded or not fix an untied rope and allow a persons pride and joy to be severely damaged. I am very disturbed by the sociopathic behavior being promoted by some in this thread.
Wow, just wow! While I think maybe the person is maybe an a-hole, a sociopath and very sick and disturbed person? Wow!
Old 01-03-2015, 13:37   #238

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Now, a really bad day would be stepping on a moored boat to help secure it... only to find that it's a booby trapped drug lab. It would make sense for such a boat 's owner to be extremely private without wanting to say so or why. Or, it could just be someone with PTSD or some other trauma, or someone whose meds aren't in reliable supply, or someone hiding from creditors, or in a messy divorce, or hiding from stalkers, or hiding undocumented aliens, or a member of the FBI witness protection program.
Old 01-03-2015, 14:07   #239

Boat: CLC Skerry

In certain situations, one can be prosecuted under "good Samaritan" and "reasonable person" laws for NOT helping someone in danger, or for NOT acting to save someone's property. There is extensive case law in this area. So Jammer 6's "prosecution" would very likely be thrown out of court unless there is a clear sign on his boat to stay off under ALL circumstances.
rhubstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 23:14   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Wow, just wow! While I think maybe the person is maybe an a-hole, a sociopath and very sick and disturbed person? Wow!

Perhaps a little melodramatic on my part but think about. Look up what is a sociopath. Lacking empathy and care for other people ranks high up there in the symptoms of a sociopath. Just saying.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote