Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2017, 20:41   #16

Re: Bimini/Dodger maker in Toronto area ?

If you want to come a bit to the east, Island Marine Canvas is the best in the business, mine and many others opinion.

They are located in Brockville, but worth the travel.

If you want their phone, PM me.
1000 islands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:23   #17

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannacat View Post
Don't know what Vasco is talking about and wouldn't believe it!!! Jamie at Sportech built a great Bimini and Dodger for us !!! Both with great stitching that has showed no signs of breaking down after 5 seasons in the Bahamas. Also built me a stainless steel arch for my 2 solar panels that is very strong out of 1" SS.
I also have a boat back on Lake Ontario that he built a winter cover for over 10 years ago that is holding up very well!!! All his seams are second to none!!! I think Vasco might have a personality conflict with him or tried to jew him down and didn't get far. Jamie learned his trade from one of the best "Hans Fogh" rest his soul!!! Two years ago we sat in West End during a blow and watched a guy from Pt Dalhousie who kicked tires and didn't use Sportech cause he got a "better deal"!!! Ya right, he was spread eagle on top of his bimini during the blow trying to save it. We were 3 slips away with a 3 year older bimini and dodger with no problems and snug as a couple of bugs in a rug!!!Give Jamie a call and tell him "Yogi" sent you.
I paid the price he asked for at the Toronto Boat Show. He did not deliver on time although I gave him months and the product was not the best. I bought it in 2004, perhaps he has learnt to sew better now. I was in Charleston waiting for the dodger for two weeks. If anyone is interested I have pics of his chintzing on the seams around the clear panels.

Your preposterous speculation about my dealings with Jaime tends to affect your credibility in anything you might post. Also reflects your lack of sensitivity to modern day discourse. I would not think anyone would use the terms you used in today's age. But then you would not probably understand what I'm talking about.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:48   #18
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannacat View Post
Don't know what Vasco is talking about and wouldn't believe it!!!

I think Vasco might have a personality conflict with him or tried to jew him down and didn't get far.
Out-of-line.

Casting aspersions against ones integrity and using anti-Semitic slurs solely because another has a differing opinion, is not cool.

It's absolutely fine and useful to post a difference of opinion, but these bullying tactics only cast doubt on your credibility.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:25   #19

Boat: C&C 29 MkI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Out-of-line.

Casting aspersions against ones integrity and using anti-Semitic slurs solely because another has a differing opinion, is not cool.

It's absolutely fine and useful to post a difference of opinion, but these bullying tactics only cast doubt on your credibility.

Rod,
I don't see any bulling tactics here, Vasco posted his opinion and this was pretty much a like reply. I have known Jaime for a number of years and I would have countered but I discounted Vasco's post on the face of it, based on my own experience. First, I asked Jamie for a quote on a family Landfall38 kept in Annapolis and he demurred stating he would never take on a job where he couldn't measure and install on site. (So much for working with patterns). The boat was in Charleston. Second I think ordering at the boat show and expecting an April delivery is a bit of a stretch. So I called BS and moved on,

As for pejorative use of a noun as a verb, unfortunate but often done in my ancient generation. I wouldn't comment on it as I am a guest in your country and social norms are quite different. One has only to observe the US President and contrast his dialog with your current Prime Minister......I rest my case....
yr ftfl svnt etc.
FDR
fdr14127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:48   #20
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdr14127 View Post

Rod,
I don't see any bulling tactics here, Vasco posted his opinion and this was pretty much a like reply. I have known Jaime for a number of years and I would have countered but I discounted Vasco's post on the face of it, based on my own experience. First, I asked Jamie for a quote on a family Landfall38 kept in Annapolis and he demurred stating he would never take on a job where he couldn't measure and install on site. (So much for working with patterns). The boat was in Charleston. Second I think ordering at the boat show and expecting an April delivery is a bit of a stretch. So I called BS and moved on,

As for pejorative use of a noun as a verb, unfortunate but often done in my ancient generation. I wouldn't comment on it as I am a guest in your country and social norms are quite different. One has only to observe the US President and contrast his dialog with your current Prime Minister......I rest my case....
yr ftfl svnt etc.
FDR
I am only learning proper public forum decorum myself, and despite many years of forum activity still manage to get myself into trouble.

My understanding is that it is fine to respectfully disagree with someone publically.

It would have been fine to state something like, "That is quite contrary to my experience..."

Instead the statement had a very derogatory tone toward the poster, seemingly inciting others to consider them a liar.

Additionally, claiming that the poster tried to beat a vendor down on price, with absolutely no evidence, is completely unfounded and inappropriate.

When I read that, berating a stranger in a public forum without provocation, it made me wonder the reason for such an emotional and intentionally hurtful response.

In this case, simply stating a contrary experience, presenting the facts to support the position, would have sufficed, been more respectful, and in fact, been more effective (at least in my opinion).

So enough about this; lets try to be more respectful to one another in the future.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:57   #21

Thank you all for the replies.

I haven't decided who to go with just yet. Lots of options!
fireman182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 10:13   #22

Boat: Contour Trimaran 34'

I had a mine down by Hard to Top Westland MI probably 4 hours from you check out their site they will have photos. They did the bimini and a poly-carbonate and aluminum. Comparable to canvas with visability panels built right in.

Watertime
watertime51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 10:19   #23

Boat: Catalina 30

hands down genco Nats design is the best in North America I've have them do 2 boats
idylours is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini, dodger