Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 05:37   #91

Boat: Norseman 447
pirate Re: Best Sailing Dog ?

Best sailing dog? our beloved "Ducky", our purebred female lab! The first year of six, she would swim herself to shore to do her buisiness til she found out she could do everything in the water! Unless it was more than a 3 day passage and then she would finally use the fordeck, which she hated doing. NZ and Aus. were the only countries in the whole Pacific and SE Asia that are a problem with pets. We miss her so!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05384.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	422.7 KB
ID:	49248   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0668.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	354.1 KB
ID:	49249  

Old 05-11-2012, 06:31   #92

Boat: Alpha 42 #3
Re: Best Sailing Dog ?

I would advise that you go to your nearest pound or rescue group and find a dog you can love. Don't worry too much about breed or size based on boat. A rescue mutt likely will adapt to your life and be absolutely ecstatic to be with you.

We got our then 6 1/2 yr old Rottie/Shepherd cross from a rescue group the same year my husband started looking for the boat. I'm an old mono-huller but The Skipper wanted a cat. After he pointed out how much more room below and flat deck space there would be for Max on a cat, I agreed. Now we joke that we bought a cat for our dog.

First up Max was terrified to walk on docks and to step (not jump) across that little bit of water between dock and stern; now, no problem. He's on the deck at the top of the stern steps if it's calm; on our bed if it's not. He hates to do his business on the deck but will when there's no other choice. As his vet said, " He won't explode." When possible we take him ashore in the dinghy at least twice a day... we've mostly sailed in the Chesapeake; he loooooves his dinghy. Always wears a PFD in the dinghy but on deck only when rough. He can swim, but by choice will only wade. He weighs about 100 pounds; sheds only once a year - for 365 days. He's a Huggy Boy but can look and sound very very fierce so we have no qualms about leaving him on board to play guard dog.

He's now about 11 1/2. the Blue Water cat is on order. We shall see about off-shore cruising with Max.

Max complicates the boating life a bit but he makes life in general so much better, it's worth it.
cruisingkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:22   #93

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/vPainkiller View Post
We almost adopted a redbone hound this past weekend. Actually he adopted us - came back from dinner and he was on the dock. He was a puppy, very affectionate and well behaved. He followed me everywhere. He didn't leave us for about 24 hours, then we had to go home. We told the marina owner about him and hopefully someone showed up looking for him. Both my wife and I were very taken. Then I looked up how big they get and decided it wouldn't work out on the boat.

Scott
Go back and get him. You won't regret it.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:02   #94

Name:	DSC00652.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	49257Our dog, Lilly, is about as good as they get. She's a Shelab, mother is a Sheltie, father is lab. She's a short haired, blonde, 37 lb water loving mutt. She spends most of her sailing time lying around or sleeping below deck.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:36   #95

Boat: Trimarans!

Just a follow up... She's been perfect on a two night trip, although the bathroom breaks were all onshore

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1433176607.437593.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	103036

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
earthbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:23   #96
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

I don't have to work because I rent Lola out as a nautical wear model.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_DSC9024.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	421.9 KB
ID:	103040  
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 14:26   #97

Piglet and Princess liked the fly bridge
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pigletflybridge.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	405.3 KB
ID:	103048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Princessflybridge.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	394.6 KB
ID:	103049  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 23:07   #98

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Our Kaela passed away at 17. We now have this little guy. He loves the boat and will get in the water if we are swimming. He uses his Potty Mat, and gives one bark at anything getting to close to us as anchor.
Below, this is how I found scupper. All the dogs were going crazy as it was walk time. But scup just sat there and looked at me. Hook, line, and sinker :-)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	103060  
Old 01-06-2015, 23:29   #99

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Scupper cruising aboard a Rain Dog. It's a tough life...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	103061  
Old 02-06-2015, 00:13   #100

Boat: Mason 44

I am happy with our Standard Schnauzer, minimal shedding, took to a green door mat, grass like, for his daily business, have it tied on the foredeck, flick the big business overboard and use the anchor wash down for regular wash down, keeps the odd animal, 4 & 2 legged, off the boat. Have a life jacket on him under-way and a large fish net handy for retrieval if necessary. He goes by the name: Bosun
Moonshine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:13   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Our Kaela passed away at 17. We now have this little guy. He loves the boat and will get in the water if we are swimming. He uses his Potty Mat, and gives one bark at anything getting to close to us as anchor.
Below, this is how I found scupper. All the dogs were going crazy as it was walk time. But scup just sat there and looked at me. Hook, line, and sinker :-)
He ain't no dummy!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 15:07   #102

Boat: '76 Heritage West Indies 36 Morgan design

in the early 80's while sailing in the Bahamas we befriended a couple with their 3 towhead kids aboard a Morgan 38 2, they were out for the entire winter...Their beautiful, happy, white female Lab was excellent on the boat.....she would jump off the transom at the drop of an anchor and swam with ease...
Old 03-06-2015, 11:43   #103

Boat: Cape Dory 25

Our poodle Arrty loves the boats, if I say the word boat he runs to his PFD and stares at it. He runs around the boat better than we can and we can't keep him out of the water. No shedding and dries fast with no wet dog smell. and he is easy to lift on and off the boat. best dog ever!!!
fishsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:41   #104

I pretty much always sail solo except for a Siberian Husky and Husky/Greyhound cross for "crew".
Both love it, open the car door and they make a beeline for the dock and are onboard before I am.
Great boat dogs, no smell and both hate getting wet, no worries about them jumping overboard.
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 11:46   #105

Boat: Clark, San Juan 30

I have Sailed with my 2 Weiner dogs they are calm love to be in their life vest while in the cockpit easily tied to their vest they are calm and when it comes to the potty break the foredeck is easy just a small piece of fake grass that rinses easy while in the Galley they just sit and look for love while sleeping they just crawl up under the covers with you and keep you warm plus they don't eat much a 25# bag will last both dogs almost 2months so if you want to sail with a dog GET a WINNIE Mine love to sail
Chevy1217 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing