Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2012, 05:45   #76

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Best Sailing Dog ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamadifferentbreed View Post
Bernie loves to swim, but hates baths. I think it's amazing how their personalities and traits develop. Gotta say Catahoulas are definitely my favorite breed.
Agree that Leopard dogs are great. For those who have not been around these dogs I suggest checking out the wiki link. My impression is these dogs are high maintenance in the sense of this quotation from wiki:

"You must be ready to teach and exercise a Catahoula. If not, he will eat your house. The Catahoula will not let you forget that you own a dog."

That being said a Leopard dog is in the top three of my favorite breeds, the other two being a German Shorthaired Pointer a Weimaraners. All three of these breeds require attention from the owner, but if properly trained can seem almost human.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 05:58   #77

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC

We almost adopted a redbone hound this past weekend. Actually he adopted us - came back from dinner and he was on the dock. He was a puppy, very affectionate and well behaved. He followed me everywhere. He didn't leave us for about 24 hours, then we had to go home. We told the marina owner about him and hopefully someone showed up looking for him. Both my wife and I were very taken. Then I looked up how big they get and decided it wouldn't work out on the boat.

Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 06:59   #78

Boat: Sunfish (but looking for a Sneakbox)

I was wondering which breed would be the best if you liveaboard and travel to different countries and if the different countries give you any troubles for having a dog aboard?
Old 18-10-2012, 07:19   #79

Boat: Catalina 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt2Salt View Post
I was wondering which breed would be the best if you liveaboard and travel to different countries and if the different countries give you any troubles for having a dog aboard?
I don't have firsthand experience but foreign countries will definitely require some documentation (vaccines, etc) if you bring a dog to the country. I'm sure the requirements will vary from country to country but I don't think the breed would matter (unless maybe your dog is a wolf). A friend of mine is moving to Australia and he's had to go through a lot of hassle (and expense) for his dog to be allowed in the country.
saw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 07:47   #80
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthbm View Post
Thanks guys! Sounds like I will be looking for a labrador mixed with something smaller at the shelter.

Now, this is a non-sailing Q and i should probably go to a dog forum with this but i don't know any. I would feel terrible neutering a male. If I don't neuter him, how do they cope with the same problem confronting males all over the species spectrum? Would I need to arrange his love live, let him sort it out, or let him hump visitors' legs?
When you are that shelter looking for your canine companion, and it crosses your mind how sad it is that so many good dogs are there, many to perhaps never leave it alive, give some thought to the repercussions of NOT neutering your dog. Because all those sad dogs in the shelter are the result of someone like you who thought it would be "cruel' to do so.

The good news? Adopting a pet from the shelter can be a wonderful thing, and all shelters only adopt out animals AFTER they are fixed. So the decision won't be on your conscience.

Incidentally I have never noticed that neutering dogs takes away the drive... it just leaves them shooting blanks ; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 08:26   #81

Boat: Catalina 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
When you are that shelter looking for your canine companion, and it crosses your mind how sad it is that so many good dogs are there, many to perhaps never leave it alive, give some thought to the repercussions of NOT neutering your dog. Because all those sad dogs in the shelter are the result of someone like you who thought it would be "cruel' to do so.

The good news? Adopting a pet from the shelter can be a wonderful thing, and all shelters only adopt out animals AFTER they are fixed. So the decision won't be on your conscience.

Incidentally I have never noticed that neutering dogs takes away the drive... it just leaves them shooting blanks ; -)
Agree with what you say, and also- most of the dogs you (or the OP) will meet will probably be neutered. But dogs (whether neutered or not) know if another dog is intact and if it's a male, they may react aggressively. So having a male dog neutered is likely to keep your dog out of trouble. Or at least, some trouble.

Some people worry that there dog's "personality" will change or that the dog will get fat. Simply not true. There really are no good reasons not to have your dog "fixed", unless you are a serious breeder or your dog is a show dog.
saw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 03:09   #82

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Catahoulas are incredible dogs. This is Scotch, he and I share the same interests

DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 03:58   #83

Boat: Catalina 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisM
Mini Australian Shepherd. My constant cruising companion. Loves to swim. Jumps into the dinghy from the transom, no problem.
I second the Aussie breads. We have an Assuie cattle dog mix that we take everywhere with us.

On a side note, hey Dennis. How was the rest of you summer cruise. We were the couple that spent the night rafted up in Menemsha with you.

Jesse
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-611718362.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	378.8 KB
ID:	48521  
Old 20-10-2012, 05:21   #84

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

Short haired terrier? Mine is a Tenterfeild Terrier, which is an Australian crossbreed of mostly Jack Russel and Foxy. Pretty much cat sized and low maintenance. After falling overboard and off wharves as a pup mine is an old school seaman. I.E. he don't swim cause the whole idea is to never end up in the sea. Regardless, if you chucked him in he would remember how to paddle mighty quick!

Oh, little terriers are great kids dogs.

I tried to upload a photo of him relaxing on the cabin settee, but this site is not cooperating with my phone.
Old 20-10-2012, 06:05   #85

Boat: PETERSON 44
Chessie. Mine loved the water, climbed boarding ladders, could get herself ashore. As a swimmer she could pull a dinghy. Self sufficient and able to provide for herself. Once she pulled a steak off a Barbie. Another time she picnicked on someone's lunch left in a car with the windows open. Ate some raw fishy stuff that well let's say her standards were low. If the fishy stuff was past her edible standard she would rub her shoulders into the stink and hunt things that thought odiferous 4 legged fish were non threatening. Her mischief caused some problems.
She was her own creature. I didn't own her and she made sure I knew that. Though loyal as a friend she often had ideas that were not in my best interest.
She was a legend in boat yards up the East US coast. Often I would find people calling her in places we visited. More social then me she found people and connected with them."
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 20:39   #86

Boat: Beneteau 36

This is Malibu our (mini schnauzer) who's named after the rum & is very much our fur-kid.

She's a great boat dog & travels with us wherever we go.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Malibu Portrate.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	49238   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mal relaxing.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	49239  

Name:	Mal sailing.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	49240   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mal in KW.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	49241  

Paul Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 22:01   #87

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Our K9 friends share the names of our sailboat.

Sugar Bee is a 1 year old Maltese and his adopted brother is about 4 months, his name is Clipper.

First came Sugar Bee the dog, then a month or so later we named the boat after the dog. Then this fall we got another Maltese and named him after the boat company, Clipper Marine.

The boys richly add to our lives, and we love spending time with them. The little one has not been sailing, but likes going to the marina. The older one likes walking around the lake better than sailing, but it is all fresh air and sunshine to lift ones spirits. It is all good.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20121105_000022.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	49242   Click image for larger version

Name:	WaterReflection-1351050234562.jpeg
Views:	164
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	49243  

Old 04-11-2012, 22:16   #88

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
Here's the greatest sailing dog on earth, sheltie mix from the animal shelter.

Name:	IMAG0546.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	49244
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:57   #89

Boat: Dehler Varianta 65
Re: best sailing dog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Portuguese water dog. For starters, they don't shed. Google/wiki it.

I would go with your president´s dog as well.
...and I´m portuguese, so I can get you the contacts of a few known breeders
messias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:45   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Maybe this is a good place to post the message that the suggestion that some dogs have "hair" and others have "fur" is a misunderstanding. Hair an fur are structurally and functionally same and without a separate biological identity. There are some highly modified hairs as seen a sensory cat whiskers or porcupine quills, but they are all the same material. It is also a mistake to suggest that some dogs shed and some do not. All mammals have hair, they all shed these hairs and grow these hairs at various rates. Also, though many may be allergic to dogs or cats, the hair is not the causative agent.
We have a Schipperke, who sheds hair, craps and pees on the stern, barks at other boats in the fog, howls when we get underway and sometimes makes my eyes itch if I don't wash my hands after petting & scratching him.

Tags
sailing