Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2022, 18:24   #1

best place buy lead acid battery

Hi,

Looking for recommendations best place to buy lead acid batteries in America. What prices did you get ?

Thanks.
arch007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 18:36   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: best place buy lead acid battery

NAPA for me. Went 6v GC2 which were East Penn Deka batteries with NAPA stickers. Not sure if they still are, best to double check as suppliers are undoubtedly changing monthly these days.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 19:48   #3

Boat: Carver 356

It’s likely you will get several different suggestions. I’ve heard people swear by Walmart, Costco, Sam’s Club, NAPA, Batteries Plus as well as their local auto parts stores.
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 21:05   #4

Boat: Tartan 3800

Flooded lead-acid batteries in the USA, regardless of brand, more or less all come from the same manufacturers. Due to their perishable nature they are often distributed without labels and then the distributor labels them for whatever retailer buys them. To be sure there are various models with differing amounts of lead which affects performance and longevity.

So let price and specifications be your guide, and be aware of shelf life.

It has been my experience that price differences are minimal between retailers so location and the practicalities of handling a bunch of batteries are factors. You have to ask yourself whether you're willing to fiddle around at walmart with a shopping cart full of batteries and then a shopping cart full of core returns to save $5 over, say, NAPA.

If you have an actual battery dealer then they will usually have the best service and freshest stock.

The USA has some of the best prices on lead-acid batteries worldwide. I've said that there's no way anyone could pay me enough to work in a battery factory but in response I've been told that the ones here are extremely well run and they take employee safety seriously. As far as I know the USA does not import lead-acid batteries in meaningful quantities.
Old 03-02-2022, 21:16   #5

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
best place buy lead acid battery

Best bang for the buck:
Deep Cycle Battery San Diego
https://deepcyclebatterystore.com/
Trojan T-1275 155Ahr, $238

Best batteries:
Dyno
Seattle
http://www.dynobattery.com/
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 21:32   #6

Boat: Nordic 44

Best price I found for Trojan T-105s was a golf cart dealer. Call around and check their prices. High volume dealers mean fresh stock.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery