Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2013, 12:38   #1

Boat: Lord Nelson 35
Beneteau Delamination Question

Hi all! I'm looking at a late 80's Beneteau First 345 and the owner has disclosed to me that there's an area of the deck about a square foot that is delaminated. I have no tools or experience to make this repair. *IF* that is an accurate description of the delamination, what cost would I look at to have that repaired. The owner described the area as "a little soft". The asking price is pretty reasonable, all other things considered. I know it's difficult to know how extensive the situation is, but, for something described as the owner is saying, what would you expect the repair to cost (ballpark)? Obviously I would get a complete survey prior to purchase.

Steve
Steve Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 12:57   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Beneteau Delamination Question

The possibilities are so varied that maybe better to give a few possible scenarios. However, before getting into this boat you should get a really, really good survey. Find someone that is experienced with wet decks and a moisture meter and a good ear with a rubber mallet and do not commit until you know what you're getting into. Testing and interpreting moisture in a core with a meter takes some knowledge and experience to do accurately so make sure the surveyor knows what he/she is doing.

It is unlikely that the moisture has not spread and worst case scenario you could be looking at repairs costing far more than the value of the boat. On the other hand, if the damage is limited and you get a good deal on the boat you could come out well.

On other comment, the cost will depend a LOT on where you are. Paying a yard in New England will be about double what it would cost in VA or north FL for example.

1. I think very unlikely but IF there is only 1 sq ft that is wet and delaminated AND you can and want to do the cheapest, fastest repair, the area could be dried out without taking apart the deck by drilling holes, heating and ventilating for some time and finished by injecting epoxy into the holes it could be done for a $100 if you DIY or a few hundred in a yard.

2. Better repair is to open up the deck and remove the wet core. If the deck is really soft then the core is probably rotten, at least in part, and should be replaced and the structure glassed back together. If you have to do this to only a 1 sq ft area and pay a yard it could be $1000 or so.

3. Skipping several intermediate possibilities and going to the worst case scenario with lots of moisture, rot and spreading delamination requiring replacement of most or all of the deck it will be many thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars. Again depends on where you have it done and how fancy you want to get with the repair.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 13:11   #3
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

I saw nothing said about wet core just delamination. Two different problems. I agree, a good survey to find out the extent of the delamination.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 13:34   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I saw nothing said about wet core just delamination. Two different problems. I agree, a good survey to find out the extent of the delamination.

Good point. I just made that connection in my thought process since wet core is by far the most common cause. However, delamination could also come from a resin starved area during the initial construction or impact damage.

Question, where is the delaminated area? If it's around a fitting or any sort of deck penetration then most likely from wet core.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, delamination