Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2011, 07:40   #1

Bareboat Charters in Miami ?

Hello,

I've long been interested in owning a sailboat, but due to living in Dallas and my job, it just wouldn't be worth it for me to purchase a sailboat. After a few years, of still daydreaming about sailing, I have decided to finally take the ASA 101, 103, and 104 classes.

The current plan is to fly into Miami and sail to the Bahamas for a week next summer. I thought I would be able to find a plethora of bareboat charter options online, but I seem to be having issues finding more than a handful.

Does anyone have suggestions or experience with any companies in Florida that do weekly bareboat charters? I am leaning towards a Catamaran as I read that mono-hull boats just can't get to all the places that a cat can in the Bahamas.
johnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 13:15   #2

Boat: Boatless
Re: Bareboat Charters in Miami ?

The Miami charter companies tend to have restrictive weather rules for crossing the Gulf Stream and it would be easy to get trapped in the Bahamas by the weather with financial penalties for not returning the boat on time.

Also a week is not much time to 'do the Bahamas' it is hardly time to get to the Abacos and get back.

With the limited time available and limited sailing experience it would be much more sensible to fly to the Abacos and have a relaxing week sailing there while building up your chartering experience.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 13:19   #3

Thanks for the response. We weren't looking to see all of the Bahamas. Really we'd be fine with just being there for 4 days or so with some extra time at the end for a weather window. I was under the impression that it was less than 12 hours to sail from Miami to the Bahamas.
Old 18-05-2011, 13:30   #4

Boat: private yacht always moving

depends on the weather,,, fly to marsh harbor and do a week sail there,,,,, morrings, sailabco and sunsail are there I think,,,, marsh harbor is the place to take a sailing vacation and see the bahamas,,, google earth marsh harbor and you will see why,,, forget miami to bimini,,, the gulf is to unpredictable,,,,there are MANY island in abaco that you can anchor out or go to a dock
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 15:24   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I would love it if you came to Miami. You might visit my store! That said I have to agree with the other guys. Look for a place to charter in the Abacos. Why waste a day crossing the stream? Why waste more days getting to some where nice? If you do stop in Miami, we're real close to the airport.
Old 18-05-2011, 15:36   #6

abaco cruising map

Cruise Abaco - Bahamas Sailboat Charter

go to abaco
Old 19-05-2011, 06:06   #7

Thank you everyone. The only reason I want to do this is trip is so that I can cross the gulf stream. That is why I want to fly into Miami and not directly into the Bahamas.

That's why I am more curious about how I can go about getting a bareboat charter in Miami and sail it to the Bahamas. Any advice on this? I don't really care if we are only in the Bahamas for 3 days or so, I just want to make the sail from Miami to the Bahamas.
Old 19-05-2011, 06:09   #8

google search,,, do not know of any in miami that will let you sail to bahamas but there has to be one
Old 19-05-2011, 06:17   #9
Marine Service Provider

Not necessarily your specific requested area, however has a list of companies in that region.

Untitled Document
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 04:41   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '87 Irwin 43

Check out www.funinthesunyachts.com and www.360yachting.com as they both allow 'cross stream charters'.

360yachting even allows one-way charters that might allow you to avoid getting 'weather trapped' in the islands and unable to cross back.
malyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 08:12   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Try these guys: Florida Yacht Group: New and Brokerage Yacht Sales, Crewed and Bare Boat Charters in Florida.
I can't recomend them as I have no personal experience with the current owners. The former owners were good people, I just don't know the new owners.
Old 30-08-2011, 08:37   #12

Boat: temporarily boatless...

John: don't be discouraged, I'm with you, I love crossing the gulf stream. There are the weather/navigational aspects, there's the unexpected sighting of big fish and mammals, and then there's something satisfying about having a couple thousand feet of water under the keel (even for a little while). The other posters are right that you might not get the weather window you want (I would say that, year round, I get the right weather on the exact day I want to go no more often than about one time in four...). You just have to have Plan B.

It is about 12 hours (channel to channel) sailing under average conditions. And the charter companies already cited above are all good.

Best wishes. Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bareboat, miami