Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 10:25   #1

Boat: San Juan 23, DaySailer 17.
Bad arm

Hello Everyone. I have finally finished with over two years of surgeries and rehab on My left arm. I had carpal tunnel, cubital tunnel, and two repairs done on My left shoulder. This has left My left arm weak. Im very cautious with My shoulder.
Im going to try and sail My Day Sailor 17 this summer, while finishing the restoration of My SJ 23. If all goes well. I hope to do short cruises in My SJ next summer.
I do believe My chances of a bigger boat and a longer cruising life are finished. As My shoulder is very weak at this point.
Has anybody else delt with these type injuries, and kept sailing?
Thank You
Old 04-03-2013, 10:49   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bad arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelreck View Post
Hello Everyone. I have finally finished with over two years of surgeries and rehab on My left arm. I had carpal tunnel, cubital tunnel, and two repairs done on My left shoulder. This has left My left arm weak. Im very cautious with My shoulder.
Im going to try and sail My Day Sailor 17 this summer, while finishing the restoration of My SJ 23. If all goes well. I hope to do short cruises in My SJ next summer.
I do believe My chances of a bigger boat and a longer cruising life are finished. As My shoulder is very weak at this point.
Has anybody else delt with these type injuries, and kept sailing?
Thank You
Dunno about shoulders but did shatter my left kneecap and a few bones broke in my foot in a bike smash... surgeon wanted to have a go wiring the bits together.. I said go for it.. beats plastic..
I was told I'd be in for new kneecap in 10 yrs if it took and every 5yrs or so after that one...and would need a cane... its now 30yrs and going strong... no new kneecap... no cane..
Did go through a lot of pain and exercise to get full use back but man it was worth it... full flex.. no limp, and apart from the scars you would not know.. just need to keep excercise.
Recovery and strength is all down to you... start easy n build up slow..
Best of luck..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:53   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Bad arm

I have two friends who ended their sailing careers with shoulder surgery. Neither could rehab enough to handle sheets or grind winches. One switched to a power boat, the other just sold his boat and took up other pursuits.

If it were me, I'd be looking at electric winches.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:02   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I have two friends who ended their sailing careers with shoulder surgery. Neither could rehab enough to handle sheets or grind winches. One switched to a power boat, the other just sold his boat and took up other pursuits.

If it were me, I'd be looking at electric winches.
Self tailers would do on the 23ftr... not like he's on a 40+..
wrap n wind... a one arm op

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:07   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

What should he do about raising an anchor? could be tricky even with an electric winch.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 13:56   #6

Im looking into a manual anchor winch, that I can use My right arm to work. I can lift 40 lbs to waist level.
I had planned to move up to a 30 foot boat. Dont know if that is still possible or not.
Still doing My exercises, and follow up plans.
Old 04-03-2013, 14:04   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Its a 23 ftr... use the mast winch... likely only has rope and a few feet of chain... they are very weight conscious over that side..

Old 04-03-2013, 14:06   #8

Boat: OEM, proportional

Have you considered a junk rig to lessen the strain on the crew? And/or a saucy sailing wench to grind the winch for you?
Old 04-03-2013, 15:02   #9

Boat: CS 36t

I had a major shoulder reconstruction about 12 years ago but I am lucky that I got back to normal pretty quickly. For about a year, I felt pretty weak and vulnerable.

If you have any able bodied friends that you can sail with, this will take a lot of worry out of things. With your daysailor, the key will be to have the force of the sheets taken by something like a cam cleat instead of you but it needs to be very easily releasable for safety. If you have to put up the mast everytime, I find that this puts a lot of stress on shoulders and stuff like that, see if you can't leave the boat someplace where you can leave it up.

Good luck with the recovery.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 15:37   #10

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Nothin wrong with a trawler . Have you thought about sailing with a partner/buddy? Anyways, just wanted to give you encouragement and a tiny lecture about listening to your physical therapist. Be sure they know your active lifestyle.
Hoping you have a full recovery,
Erika
Old 04-03-2013, 16:08   #11

I plan on taking My Therapist sailing with Me. All three of My therapists know what I do for fun. I will not sail alone for awhile yet. I have lost one hobby already, not willing to give this LIFE up. My daughter is My sailing partner, but We have conflicting schedules. I would love to find a "saucy sailing wench" as Micah put it.
Ocean Girl, thank You for the encouragement. Im not giving up. I grew up on the Gulf of Mexico. Sailed the "Elissa" out of Galveston. Day sailed the "Pride of Baltimore I and II", also thr "Spirit of Massachusettes"When I feel bumbed, I'll just call on You Guys here.
Old 04-03-2013, 17:55   #12

I had shoulder surgery about 15 years ago. It took about a year to be able to throw a ball overhand again, but 2 years and all was good. I spent some time before that with carpel tunnel(other arm) to the point that I could not grind the winches on my 44 footer. It actually went away without surgery, but hurt like hell when it was inflamed. The P.T. recommended swimming as one of the best exercises. It will take a lot of work on your part, but you will probably be fine in the long run. ___Keep On Plugging Along._____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote