Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2015, 16:55   #556

Re: At The Risk of Starting WWlll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
With the qualifiers it looks like a budget of $40k-$50k for the purchase, with some reasonable amount left over for refitting, etc. If you are careful and do all your proper due diligence, you can find a pretty nice boat for that price.
75k for purchase. Will have over 120k total. Anything past initial purchase will be for refitting. Should reword no more than 75k for purchase. If I find some thing for 55k or 60k that would be great !
Nerfherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 16:58   #557

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

That Harris Tri that's CF is good boat, I know it. As far as I know not launched for 10 years. Price might be ok
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 01:06   #558

$75k will get you into a nice mono, I don't like your chances of getting a nice cat for that cash.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 05:19   #559

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
$75k will get you into a nice mono, I don't like your chances of getting a nice cat for that cash.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Yup its about what I figured as well. Even though I started out looking for cats I won't be disappointed with a mono.

I actually really enjoy heeling while under way. However to be fair I have spent little time having to deal with this while at anchor. As stated before though... Better to be out there than not.
Old 30-10-2015, 05:24   #560

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

If you are heeling at anchor, you need to shift ballast around…

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 10:14   #561

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
If you are heeling at anchor, you need to shift ballast around…

Mark
Dealing with the characteristics of living on a monohull at anchor. It's motion.......
Old 04-11-2015, 04:24   #562
cruiser

Boat: Westsail 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerfherder View Post
Dealing with the characteristics of living on a monohull at anchor. It's motion.......
I used to think that, but found there is motion on any craft. The biggest thing for me is the difference in space. Much more space on a multihull as opposed to a monohull.
Razoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:14   #563

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
At The Risk of Starting WWlll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoo View Post
When I started out looking my budget was $60K for a multihull. I found a few for around $50K, but they all needed total refits which added up to another $30K.

After a year of sailing my mono and realizing what I need mixed in with what I want, my budget is up to $125K for a multihull. I'm still looking.

I just jumped into ownership after doing exactly same as you, a long detailed search. I was sure it would be a multi but in the end my choice was a 2015 Jeanneau 349. For me, it was a trade off between several features of each decision but in the 349, all things came together. Your adjusted price range is realistic, and can net you a new or fairly new monohull. At $150K for a 35 to 40 foot cat you are in the ten plus year old range, probably ex charter, definitely requiring work and possibly some systems replacement.

Cats are twice the price, I found in my experience. And given the choice of 35+ older cat for $150K or new/nearly new mono for same price, the decision was no argument. Nothing's perfect but I sure did not want to consciously sign myself up for constant refit work over the period of ownership of the cat I could afford. Plus I have latest cutting edge technology and design. Yes, it may rock at anchor, and has a fraction of space of a similar size cat, but proportionally it is a luxurious space compared to a 2008 well used Mahe or a cramped Gemini.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 17:07   #564
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
I just jumped into ownership after doing exactly same as you, a long detailed search. I was sure it would be a multi but in the end my choice was a 2015 Jeanneau 349. For me, it was a trade off between several features of each decision but in the 349, all things came together. Your adjusted price range is realistic, and can net you a new or fairly new monohull. At $150K for a 35 to 40 foot cat you are in the ten plus year old range, probably ex charter, definitely requiring work and possibly some systems replacement.

Cats are twice the price, I found in my experience. And given the choice of 35+ older cat for $150K or new/nearly new mono for same price, the decision was no argument. Nothing's perfect but I sure did not want to consciously sign myself up for constant refit work over the period of ownership of the cat I could afford. Plus I have latest cutting edge technology and design. Yes, it may rock at anchor, and has a fraction of space of a similar size cat, but proportionally it is a luxurious space compared to a 2008 well used Mahe or a cramped Gemini.
You make some good points mono vrs multi for the $150K price. Personally, I don't like the below deck space of the mono. I find it to cramped for me and why I am looking for a 35+ cat. Refits are a given multi or mono. I don't know if the cat would require constant refit work and more than a mono. I guess that would depend on where you sail and how hard you are on it. So far, I have put less than $700 into my mono since I've owned it for almost a year.
Old 13-11-2015, 17:22   #565

Boat: '76 Heritage West Indies 36 Morgan design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I sold a 1970 Porsche 911S this year, in order to buy sails. I loved that car. But first things first. I kind of got over cars, when I bought my first cruising sailboat.
I'm over cars and motos....sold em to get my beauty!!!
its all about sailing...
Old 14-11-2015, 19:34   #566

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTHAW View Post
I'm over cars and motos....sold em to get my beauty!!!
its all about sailing...

What he said. Amen. Sail on, my brother.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 22:12   #567
cruiser

In the beginning, I was stead fast on buying a cat. Now that I've got real comfortable with my mono over the past 18 months I'm thinking maybe a mono is the way to go. I liked the cat for space. But, the last two mono's I sea trialed were very spacious. I've gotten used to living life on a 10-15 degree angle so that's no longer a problem for me. The big problem for me now is rolling in heavy seas. A cat has little roll which is what I like, but I've come to learn that a full keel mono is what you want in heavy seas. It dissipates the roll and is easy on the human vitals when you're heaved to in a storm for a day or two or a week. Can't really do that with a fin keel or a cat. I guess I'm leaning towards a mono with a full keel?
Old 31-01-2017, 22:52   #568
cruiser

....maybe I should buy an RV....
Old 01-02-2017, 08:48   #569

The Cat or lighter wide modern mono have more of a jerky motion, but don't roll so bad. A traditional mono with very round bilges may roll a lot, although the long keel should have resistance, the round bilge "pendulum" seems to be a big factor. I prefer the jerky type motion to long death rolls! I think regardless of keel length, beam and harder turn at the bilges help a lot more than keel length alone. All generalisms of course...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 15:16   #570

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoo View Post
In the beginning, I was stead fast on buying a cat. Now that I've got real comfortable with my mono over the past 18 months I'm thinking maybe a mono is the way to go. I liked the cat for space. But, the last two mono's I sea trialed were very spacious. I've gotten used to living life on a 10-15 degree angle so that's no longer a problem for me. The big problem for me now is rolling in heavy seas. A cat has little roll which is what I like, but I've come to learn that a full keel mono is what you want in heavy seas. It dissipates the roll and is easy on the human vitals when you're heaved to in a storm for a day or two or a week. Can't really do that with a fin keel or a cat. I guess I'm leaning towards a mono with a full keel?
You can 100% heave-to with a fin keel, you just have to play around a bit more to find out what works. Maybe use a drogue - the book 'storm tactics' goes into detail about this

Tags
Fight, monohulls, mulithulls