Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2010, 19:51   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Artsy-Crafty in the Boat Shop for Those Who Never Look at the Maintenance Forum . . .

I figured I'd take a little break from the normal updates, until tomorrow, and throw out a little example of some of the small work that goes on with the boats.

The rudder fairing tab on Lady J was looking real ragged so I decided to build a new one.

As you can see, it's nothing but compound curves. I picked up a nice Sapele block, big enough for two in case I screwed up.

After seeing if my wood guys would possibly mill it close for me (they wouldn't touch it) I took the hard road and did it by hand my damned self. First was to put the piece in my new Jawhorse (neat tool) and start the cuts. Using my new Japanese Kataba saw, and a coping saw, I made the cuts from the corners. My saw turned out to be too short for the piece so I broke out the sawsall with a long thin blade to finish the cuts. It worked very nicely.

and

After I made the cuts to both sides and cleaned it up on the big sander, I test fitted it, sanded some more and then marked where I wanted fasteners. I drilled a 3/8" hole clear through and a 3/4" nut pocket for threaded rod, which will be the major fastening. I also drilled some screw holes. This was done by hand since I still don't have a drill press. It's on the list ok?

and

I also had the rudder shaft channel marked and used the saw to cut kerfs for chiseling the channel. Once these were cut, some judicious chiseling with a very sharp chisel and sandpaper took care of the channel.

Here are the two pieces, new and old side by side.

Then, with Jay's help, I set the piece in place, ran the slightly smaller OD bit up the rod hole and drilled 3" into the keelson. We threaded the 3' rod in place and marked where it was flush with tape. We pulled it off and I cut it 1/2" shorter than the mark so a bung will fit once it's bolted. The Sonicrafter makes short work of it. I threaded the rod for fit, tested the depth and then took the piece outside to put some bedding material on the edge next to the hull.

Once the piece was ready, I slid it over the rod, bolted it in place and tested it. It really doesn't need anything else but I set the screws as well. Here's the finished piece installed.

So, that's my craft project for today. BTW, that black bead is the sealer. Not really necessary but I wanted a good tight fit and that part of the keelson is wavy. Besides, it'll have bottom paint on it.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 19:58   #2

Nice work! But what's the fork, in the first picture, used for?
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 19:59   #3

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Boy, I can see making the cuts but when it comes to the chisel....I would fear making a mistake. Very Cool though.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 20:02   #4

looks pro!
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 20:14   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Nice work! But what's the fork, in the first picture, used for?

We gotta get our fiber somehow...
Old 17-09-2010, 20:15   #6

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2 (2008)
I truly love the workbench (pics 1 & 7). Is that Craftsman, Snap-on or some other name brand?
kmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 20:15   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Boy, I can see making the cuts but when it comes to the chisel....I would fear making a mistake. Very Cool though.

Todd
Ya gotta use the right edge of the chisel. Still nerve racking, especially at the edges.
Old 17-09-2010, 20:16   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmason View Post
I truly love the workbench (pics 1 & 7). Is that Craftsman, Snap-on or some other name brand?
That's the Rockwell "Jawhorse" A seriously nice tool.
Old 17-09-2010, 20:16   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
looks pro!

I sure hope so....
Old 18-09-2010, 03:37   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmason View Post
Rockwell.
Jawhorse, Folding Sawhorse, Clamping Workbench | Rockwell

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2010, 07:21   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My only wish for that tool would be a way to fasten it down. While it's rigid and not exactly light, it will scoot a bit with heavy work like sawing. If you get one, be careful how hard you clamp it. It will crush hardwood. It folds up nicely and without much effort when done.