Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 14:26   #46

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Are you put off sailing in the EU?

completely agree...the rules are simple and clear, not complicated... very easy to follow, it only gets problematic when people try to evade, cut corners or are dishonest...very simple.
DeepBlueSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 14:30   #47
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Are you put off sailing in the EU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
What are the current favorite places to take your boat to after your 18 months are up? How long do you have to keep it out of the EU in order to get another 18 months?
Dunno about favourite.. but at present Turkey, Israel, Tunisia, Morocco, UK, Channel Isles... Egypt's a bit fractious at the moment...
Oh... and if you stop of in Israel don't let em stamp your passport... if you do don't try entering an Islamic country till you've a new passport... dunno if they still use the bit of paper and a paperclip these days...
At a guess I'd say 4 weeks should be adequate... but I could be wrong...
GBN will know..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 14:52   #48

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Don, I'm not sure you've been absorbing the right lessons. Follow the rules! Then you won't have any problems at all. It's not hard!

Like a lot of situations in life, actually ...
For me, that's the real question. Where do you find this stuff out?

I spent a day with Homeland Security in Port Huron trying to find out what I had to do as a Canadian citizen to visit the US by boat. I was pushed from pillar to post for over 4 hours because none of the large men with guns had any idea what I needed. Finally, an incredibly large man (with a gun) smiled at me and said "As a Canadian, an up-to-date passport will do. Let us know when you move from state to state and everything will be fine." I think he even gave us a business card as a 'just in case'.

Since then, I've talked to other people who say " Good God no. You need these forms filled out in triplicate, an I-something or another, a ten thousand dollar bond and a visa if you're going to stay more than 30 days."

I would love to see Europe but to be honest, I'm not even sure what's in the EU. Am I going to run into the same thing? I would think you have to contact the particular country's embassy to check in and out, is that correct or is there some central place since it is the EU?

18 months? If you wanted to see anything, I don't think you could get around Ireland and England in that amount of time, let alone Sweden, Finland and some car trips in Germany.

Where do you go to get out of the EU? How long do you have to be gone before you can come back and continue?

I know, lots of stupid questions but it's better to ask before the docklines are cast off just to make sure you have all your ducks in a row.
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 15:04   #49

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Here's a link to the basic rules of Temporary Importation, which usually gives you 18 months, but can be extended to 24 months under some circumstances.
Old 07-04-2013, 15:13   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Here's a link to the basic rules of Temporary Importation, which usually gives you 18 months, but can be extended to 24 months under some circumstances.
Thank you. That is some great information.
Old 07-04-2013, 15:22   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_f View Post
For me, that's the real question. Where do you find this stuff out?

I spent a day with Homeland Security in Port Huron trying to find out what I had to do as a Canadian citizen to visit the US by boat. I was pushed from pillar to post for over 4 hours because none of the large men with guns had any idea what I needed. Finally, an incredibly large man (with a gun) smiled at me and said "As a Canadian, an up-to-date passport will do. Let us know when you move from state to state and everything will be fine." I think he even gave us a business card as a 'just in case'.

Since then, I've talked to other people who say " Good God no. You need these forms filled out in triplicate, an I-something or another, a ten thousand dollar bond and a visa if you're going to stay more than 30 days."

I would love to see Europe but to be honest, I'm not even sure what's in the EU. Am I going to run into the same thing? I would think you have to contact the particular country's embassy to check in and out, is that correct or is there some central place since it is the EU?

18 months? If you wanted to see anything, I don't think you could get around Ireland and England in that amount of time, let alone Sweden, Finland and some car trips in Germany.

Where do you go to get out of the EU? How long do you have to be gone before you can come back and continue?

I know, lots of stupid questions but it's better to ask before the docklines are cast off just to make sure you have all your ducks in a row.
The Channel Islands -- the gorgeous islands of Jersey, Guernsey, Sark, Alderney, etc., which the French call "Iles Anglo-Normandes", are not in the EU, and are just 100 miles from Southampton. It is not at all hard to get out of the EU once every 18 months, whereupon the clock is reset. Just call into St. Peter Port, be sure to get stamps and seals and receipts for the cheap duty-free diesel fuel you will buy, and you're good to go for another 18 months.

In the Med, a jaunt over to Morroco, Tunisia, Malta, Turkey, Turkish Cyprus (depending on where you are in the East-West continuum you are) will do it. It's not big deal, less of a hassle than visa restrictions.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 15:24   #52

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Here's what the US State Dept. says about the Schengen Visa issue.
Old 07-04-2013, 16:00   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The Channel Islands -- the gorgeous islands of Jersey, Guernsey, Sark, Alderney, etc., which the French call "Iles Anglo-Normandes", are not in the EU, and are just 100 miles from Southampton. It is not at all hard to get out of the EU once every 18 months, whereupon the clock is reset. Just call into St. Peter Port, be sure to get stamps and seals and receipts for the cheap duty-free diesel fuel you will buy, and you're good to go for another 18 months.

In the Med, a jaunt over to Morroco, Tunisia, Malta, Turkey, Turkish Cyprus (depending on where you are in the East-West continuum you are) will do it. It's not big deal, less of a hassle than visa restrictions.
Thank you so much! Between this and the info Kettlewell put up, the missus and I can do some planning.
Old 07-04-2013, 16:07   #54

Thank you. I owe you a beer (or six) when we are in the NY canal system.

I owe Dockhead one or a bunch as well.
Old 07-04-2013, 16:33   #55
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

And then there's Lebanon...
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 16:36   #56
Armchair Bucketeer

.........and Syria.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 16:37   #57
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
.........and Syria.
I did think of it yes, but decided it's more for the jihadis at the moment
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 17:02   #58

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I did think of it yes, but decided it's more for the jihadis at the moment
Quick pit stop in Cyprus first - hit the ATM for some cash.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 17:38   #59

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

The VAT thing sounds pretty straight forward. In northern Europe, the Channel Islands sounds like a cool place to check out and reset the counter, in the central/eastern Med, Turkey or CRoatia.

But like Katiusha said, the Schengen rules prevent you from using any more than 90 days in 180. So while the VAT exemption is generous, I don't see how one can take advantage of it. If you're just traveling by boat, as soon as you leave Schengen you reset the VAT clock anyway.

I guess this is why svmariane says they will be based out out of Croatia when they return, as a way to head out cruising to EUfor 90 days, then back to the Adriatic for a while. It is a long way from Croatia to Gibraltar, seems like one would have to cover a lot of miles, and have some different options depending on how things are going.

So what if you are in the Baltic? Where do you go from there after 90 days?

Crossing back to the Caribbean every year sounds like too much.

What am I missing here? Do people just fly back to get out of EU after 90 days? That aint gonna work....
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 18:28   #60

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
So what if you are in the Baltic? Where do you go from there after 90 days?
St. Petersburg, Russia?

Tags
sailing