Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2019, 15:57   #1

Boat: Beneteau 393, 39 feet
Radar mount

I'm adding radar to my Beneteau 393 and wondering what the pros and cons are of mast mount vs. aft pole mount. All help appreciated.

Larry
LarryS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 20:21   #2

Boat: Riva 48
Re: Radar mount

Mast mount is preferred for the increased range and reduced reflections from the waves on the windward side. The latter is most important.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:52   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

As Pizzaz says, you'll get better distant targets mounted on the mast. That's if that is important to you. For my radar use it is not. We use long distance on the radar to track rain squalls. This works fine from any dome elevation.
We use our radar to determine course and speed of confusing targets without AIS. These are typically not an issue at distance.
We use the target alarm zone out at around 1 to 2 miles if the conditions suggest it.
In fog we use it for primarily close up work.

So for our uses having the dome on an aft post is better. The dome is more stable, letting the ARPA functions work better and it handles our needs for clarity up close and reasonable distance. It would get affected by big seas, but so does a mast mount gyrating about.

Either location will serve most needs reasonably.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:38   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

As suggested, both will work. Boh are fixed to your hull, and will experience the same limitations at a hard heel. The difference is range versus size of the cone of silence, the area immediately around your boat that is "under the radar." Is range (see over the horizon relative to you Mark I eyeball and pick up a bouy) or a small cone of silence (pick up the shipping container very close to you in the fog) more important to you?
Old 02-09-2019, 06:24   #5

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
As suggested, both will work. Boh are fixed to your hull, and will experience the same limitations at a hard heel. The difference is range versus size of the cone of silence, the area immediately around your boat that is "under the radar." Is range (see over the horizon relative to you Mark I eyeball and pick up a bouy) or a small cone of silence (pick up the shipping container very close to you in the fog) more important to you?
Or you could get one of these-
https://scanstrut.com/products-22/se...urer/scanstrut

Obviously more spendy than a plain variety.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:45   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
As suggested, both will work. Boh are fixed to your hull, and will experience the same limitations at a hard heel.......
'good point made here; however, there are gimbal mounts for radars. I had a gimbal mounted Furuno on my mizzen mast that suited me well. For a main mast mount, a smooth stainless guard ring would be helpful keeping the sweep of a large headsail from snagging the radar.

Q Xopa exposes me as a very slow typist!
Old 02-09-2019, 21:19   #7

Boat: Beneteau 393, 39 feet

All,
Thanks very much for your input. I'm leaning toward the pole mount for ease of installation and servicing. Based on your input, I believe either mount location would work for me.

Larry
LarryS1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar