Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2016, 04:06   #31

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Are Power Boaters Clueless

No, not all power boaters are clueless. In fact some go out of their way to avoid throwing a large wake. That's the minority, but I always thank them if I can catch their eye.

Of course, I've had a number of idiot-incidents with powerboats, and mostly I don't let it bother me. Just part of the joys of sharing the waters with others. But the one incident that does stand out was a situation with a largish (cutter?) Canadian Coast Guard vessel. I was sailing into Port Dover on Lake Erie. It was low but steady winds and I was running near the reds so as to give plenty of room for the other motoring craft (our engine was out, so we had to sail in). It's a relatively tight entrance, with some ugly shoal water just outside the lanes.

Anyway, this CCG cutter approaches under high speed, coming back in. Instead of passing us to port, where there was plenty of room, they cut very close between us and the buoys at high speed, throwing a huge wake and forcing me to quickly turn into it so as to prevent a dangerous roll. The wake left us with sails flapping, almost no steerage, and with us now pointing towards the shoals. The pilot didn't even look our way as he roared past.

When we finally got in the CG vessel was tied to their dock, and it looked like a shift change was underway. Looked to me like someone just wanted to get back before the overtime clock started.

So what do you do when the water cops are the idiots?
Old 25-09-2016, 04:23   #32
CLOD

Boat: none

Ok I admit it is only some of the power boaters (even if it seems a vast majority). It is kind of like aggressive SUV drivers on the road, some of them AREN'T be aholes.

Coming in the narrow channel yesterday under motor I go past the the No Wake sign that says speed limit 5 mph and I'm doing 5 knots (I'm speeding). In the 1 mile of channel 3 power boaters that didn't even see behind when I entered the channel past past me.

Makes me all angry inside!
Old 25-09-2016, 04:42   #33

Boat: Bristol 27

I'm totally used to the wakes from power boats from years on the water in all size boats, but some of these container ships etc coming in Thimble Shoal Channel are still cruising along at speeds in the teens.

And they can put off one hell of a wake............especially if you happen upon one and are waiting/sailing near the channel for it to pass

On the other hand, it's worth dealing with the wake just to see one of those things up close and personal like that. When the pilot talks on the radio, it always sounds like he is sitting in an office someplace down town
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 08:18   #34

Boat: lancer 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I have been out the past 8 days and just have to wonder if power boaters are clueless about wakes. I've been in No Wake zones, narrow channels, anchorages, and mooring fields and all the power boats do is blast through.

So wonder if they are clueless or just plain don't give a crap.

Some of the wakes I've had to deal with put me in a bad position for control and safety.
over-generalization. no group of people are clueless about anything be they power boaters, sailors, liberals, conservatives.........................
jrbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 08:19   #35

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

The trouble is...their wake takes a few minutes to get to shore, anchorage, or whatever. By then, the power boat is loooong gone. So yes, totally clueless. Also clueless about wind direction/speed and how that affects their boat docking/anchoring.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 08:22   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
No, not all power boaters are clueless. In fact some go out of their way to avoid throwing a large wake. That's the minority, but I always thank them if I can catch their eye.

Of course, I've had a number of idiot-incidents with powerboats, and mostly I don't let it bother me. Just part of the joys of sharing the waters with others. But the one incident that does stand out was a situation with a largish (cutter?) Canadian Coast Guard vessel. I was sailing into Port Dover on Lake Erie. It was low but steady winds and I was running near the reds so as to give plenty of room for the other motoring craft (our engine was out, so we had to sail in). It's a relatively tight entrance, with some ugly shoal water just outside the lanes.

Anyway, this CCG cutter approaches under high speed, coming back in. Instead of passing us to port, where there was plenty of room, they cut very close between us and the buoys at high speed, throwing a huge wake and forcing me to quickly turn into it so as to prevent a dangerous roll. The wake left us with sails flapping, almost no steerage, and with us now pointing towards the shoals. The pilot didn't even look our way as he roared past.

When we finally got in the CG vessel was tied to their dock, and it looked like a shift change was underway. Looked to me like someone just wanted to get back before the overtime clock started.

So what do you do when the water cops are the idiots?
Securite, Securite, Securite. Canadian Coast Guard vessel being piloted in a dangerous manner. Any vessel in vicinity of Port Dover take heed.

I've done this before.
Old 25-09-2016, 08:24   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbogie View Post
over-generalization. no group of people are clueless about anything be they power boaters, sailors, liberals, conservatives.........................
Of course it's a generalization ..... with the exception of boaters and Liberals
Old 25-09-2016, 08:31   #38

I have had a few very courteous power boaters...I always hale the Captain and thank him for the slow pass. Just a few! The rest are in the two categories already set out.

Want to get their attention...when they BLAST by you again...cause a dangerous situation...Hale the Coast Guard..giving them boat name...location and direction of travel....of the vessel being operated in a careless and reckless manner...then see what happens...has worked for me..
sailcarib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 09:05   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I've seen both sides of this issue from the helm of my sailboat. I'm of the opinion that a vessel on the water should be able to operate with the ability to adapt to some degree of rocking about due to wakes, chop, weather, etc. even when it's unexpected.

I'm often surprised by others on sailboats who are intolerant of medium wakes. My personal response to most overtaking power boats within a restricted channel is to request that they maintain their speed. If they are passing close enough, if can make a turn across their stern and take a quick slap or wake that has little impact. I'm usually less pleased if they turn away, giving me a greater distance, because the result is a long series of wakes rather than the quick slap, but I realize that their intentions are good.

Sure, I see the mistakes of those with less knowledge,- the boaters on a plane that will slow for you, but only resulting in the speed that produces much more wake. I've also piloted a 110' power vessel near the Chesapeake Bay/Bridge Tunnel and found a need to turn into the wake of a container ship that produced a wake that washed deck chairs to our transom. I would have been at risk if I had been surprised by this wake in the 30' sloop that I owned at that time.

I'm of the opinion that too many power boaters aren't respectful of their wake and that too many sail boaters a intolerant of insignificant wakes.
Old 25-09-2016, 09:07   #40

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

BoatPoker and Sailcarib got it right. Turn these situations into teaching moments. Use your zoom lens to capture boat info should you need to pass along any evidence. Try not to get emotionally involved but do your best to report the discourteous and dangerous to appropriate authorities.
Old 25-09-2016, 09:10   #41

Boat: 2012 Tartan 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by moctrams View Post
I keep some 5/8" nuts on board for such occasions. It sound like a gun shot. Scares hell out of them.
I don't get it. Thrown at the offender?
RichandHelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 09:18   #42

As has been pointed out, discourtious rule breakers come in all types of boaters. Seem to me that the vast majority of the problem boaters don't have a clue of what the rules are: This has been an excellent illustration of the need for a Mandatory exam to operate a boat. Yes, there are those who will always think the rules apply only to the other guy, But then at least there are no excuses for bad behavior. The fact that the captain is legally responsible for the damage caused by his/her wake is virtually unknown among the weekend boating crowd. An exam is not a big inconvenience for public safety.
Rough Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 09:43   #43

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

I also prefer oncoming traffic in channels to maintain their speed. Turn in slightly, one hop, back on course and done.

If they slow, I always acknowledge the favor. If I knew which one's intended to slow, I would hail and say keep her hammered.

Overtaking boats are a different story. Coming in the pass at Tampa an ~80' MV doing at least twenty knots tossed about the sailboat behind me like a toy. The sailboat did nothing but maintain course. Spreaders almost touched the water.

As the MV overtook me on port side, throwing a large breaking wake, I turned to port more than 270 degrees taking the wake on the bow. Pretty sure my keel saw daylight on that one.

That one deserved a securite' call. Wish I had thought of that.
Old 25-09-2016, 09:44   #44

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Power or sail, it is just about a person's up bringing. It would seem people with power boats are less courteous. I didn't say boatmen. It is easier to jump in and turn the key for some yahoo.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 09:48   #45

I bet everybody here is old enough and wise enough to know ******** come in all flavor's.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power boat