Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2005, 18:05   #1

Boat: currently "on the beach"
are 2 boats cheaper than one ?

i was discussing our plan to spend more time in the islands and talking about size of boat needed. i continue to become more and more a "less is more" type. the other party to this conversation talked about people who keep a boat here and a boat there. the rational was less cost / gear to make a boat ready for bluewater. smaller, easier to sail and maintain boats on both ends. he stated that many keep a second, and inexpensive boat somewhere warm. they own two smaller boats for less $ than one large. i know a few on this site do keep boats in the warmth. i would be interested in hearing the reasons, costs, benefits and risks of those that have done it, or think about doing it.
capt. lar

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2005, 18:45   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
capt. lar,

Don't let anybody tell you it's cheaper or less work. It's not. I went south from 1990 to 2003 nearly every other year in my CS36. I would leave in September and get back home in the middle of June. My wife and I loved it. A few years I went every year meaning I only stayed home July and August. After a few trips it was not enough time at home to take care of things and also the trip home got to be a bit of a chore. It's great going down but coming home in the late spring was not a picnic. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it (who would stay here in winter?) but it was getting to be a bit of a drag. Late 2003 I bought another boat, I now keep her in Florida and go down the middle of November and hope to be back home in May. I now have two boats to look after, whenever I need a tool it's on the other boat. I keep an eye on all the hurricanes. My south boat is bigger than my north boat. After many years of cruising my wife and I appreciate a bit of comfort and we're on that boat for a full six months whereas I only sail up here on the weekends. We really like the lifestyle and two boats gives us more time at home in the summer with our family. I looked at getting an older boat for down south but decided I was at a stage in life where I didn't want to spend a couple of years getting a boat fixed up to a level I would be comfortable with so I got a new one. I would be just as happy with a smaller boat at home but kept my CS36 as it was a boat I knew and was set up for cruising. If you want to spend the winters in the sun two boats is great but there are drawbacks, cost is the main one but don't let that stop you.
Old 15-09-2005, 19:17   #3
Kai Nui

Just be forwarned, boats are like potato chips, once you start, you can't stop I have 3. Wanna buy one?
If you are considering boats in multiple locations to save time, consider bare boat. If you are hoping to save money, forget it. If you just want to sail different places, but avoid blue water crossings, buy em cheap where you want to go, day sail, paint em, and sell em, than fly to the next location. even if you take a loss, it will still be cheaper than maintaning a boat that you do not see for 4-6 months at a time.
Old 15-09-2005, 20:35   #4

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
Go for it!

For ten years, we kept a boat in Florida and one in Connecticut. It resolved many hassles with hauling "stuff" on vacations. Like going home, everything was there. After a few seasons, the right clothes, sports toys, and assorted gear was right for the seasons aboard each. I would do it again without hesitation.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2005, 21:10   #5
Kai Nui

Jim, I showed your post to my wife. She says don't encourage me
Old 16-09-2005, 00:13   #6

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I have 4 boats

That's if you want to count the infatable.

One for traveling and vacations, one for day sailing, one for fishing and just putting around on short notice and then the Dinghy for what ever.

I think I've actually owned more boats then cars in my life time.

No time for bordom!
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2005, 06:01   #7

for those that do, or did, where did you keep the southern boat, and roughly, what were the costs. i have heard nanny cay in bvi is reasonable, and the idea of florida appeals since airfare is cheaper and bahamas are right there.
kai nui - this is new england - i already own 2 boats which i maintain but don't use for 6 months. we will sell the center console. charter is a lot of money in the winter and as jim stated, i like to have my own stuff. i am a minimalist, but use and trust my own gear. after 30 years of construction and boats, i own enough tools and gear to outfit a fleet.
part of the appeal of this option is maintaining connections to home - business - family. it is an easier sell for the 1st mate, and the risks seem low - again, i look at numbers and want to commit limited cash, so we would find an older boat in top shape with simple systems.
we are happy with 31 feet in the north. 35 is better but costs an additional 30K (using bristol as an example) i'm thinking older with no exterior wood for the islands - pearson or the like. i was told of one guy that bought here and shipped to islands for 8K.
i think i would spend 100K to 150K by the time i had a bluewater ready 38 footer. i think i can have 2 coastal cruisers for the same. you don't need more than that for the islands.
keep it coming - still seems reasonable to me.
capt. lar

Old 16-09-2005, 06:28   #8

capt. lar,

Quite a few boats I used to sail with gave up coming back north and store their boats in FL. in the "off" season. They usually store on the hard in places like Green Cove Springs (there's a waiting list here because it's quite reasonable) Stuart and Titusville although Titusville changed hands (the marina that is) last year and they jacked the prices up. Many of the Titusville boats moved up to St. Augustine. Storage runs from about $150 a month to $350 a month depending on the yards. There's also the hauling charges, usually about $300 in and out. This is for a 30 -40 ft. boat. Last year was my first year keeping a boat in FL. and I kept it in the water in a marina in Jacksonville. Many keep their boats in canals behind private homes. In Ft. Lauderdale up the New River it runs about $350 a month further north it can be $150 and up. I'm keeping mine in the water behind a home this year. I get the bottom scrubbed every six weeks. I like storing in FL. because I can drive down in the fall with all the junk I need. I thought of maybe Beaufort, Pamlico Sound area or the Chesapeake at first but after thinking of all those miles to go in November I opted for Florida. Driving those extra five hundred miles is a lot easier than doing it at six knots!
Old 16-09-2005, 09:08   #9

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Two boats

When I sold and rode motorcycles I always seemed to own an average of about five. At least two were for the pavement track, one for the dirt, one for around town and one for the highway.
The ocean for me is about 225 miles away. I have thought about keeping a bigger boat there ( 36 feet ) and a smaller boat here on the lake ( Holland 7.6 ) But first I am going to trailer my 29 foot boat to the big puddle for a month or two each year and then make my plans accordingly. Two larger cruising type boats would be a lot of work. If the boat has a lot of cruising gear on boat then it will require a lot of attention.
I also have an 18 foot aluminum fishing boat ( not running ) and a rubber ducky tender. Bought new last week.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2005, 18:09   #10

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
Cost

The cost of a second boat, kept in the Florida Keys, for ~ 8 years was a savings over the cost of renting a house or motel room for the 6 or so weeks spent there during the year. We maintained a 25' power boat with living accomodations for two, including a head, galley, dining area and comfortable sleeping accomodations. We sold the boat last year (and our northern sailboat) to purchase an new sail boat which is in the north. The cost per year for rack storage, cost of the boat and maintenance averaged $2575 per year for eight years.
If we had stayed in a motel, the cost would have been over $8000 per year for a sporadic six weeks. It was a good deal.

Jim

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2005, 08:43   #11

good info - lots of options. i sent an inquiry to nanny cay marina to try and get some hard numbers. i have spent a fair amount of time in the keys and bahamas. i would like to find a way to explore the VI and surrounding waters on the cheap, just as i did the keys and bahamas. i have also heard of shared boats and the like. while i would not go that route here, it might be a good way to keep cost down. anyone know about this method of ownership specific to the islands.
capt. lar

Old 17-09-2005, 09:22   #12

capt.lar,

There used to be some outfits that time shared boats out of USVI. The sites are in my old computer if I go in there I'll try to dig them up for you. I think your best bet would be a long term charter (a couple of months) from one of the secondary fleets. You can usually negotiate a good price from them. I used to charter from them for 3 -4 weeks. It's still not really cheap but it's cheaper than buying a boat and keeping it there. The best time would be Nov/ Dec (I assume you want to do this in the winter) for better rates. The high season is Feb/Mar.

A good site is http://www.traveltalkonline.com
they have a bvi forum and also used to have one on the various charter boats.
Old 17-09-2005, 09:52   #13

thanks vasco - "traveltalk" is interesting site although i did get sidetracked with the "enjoy the nude lifestyle everywhere" posts. i know a few of the charter operations on st. tom and the longer term rent could be a great way to spend some time and also do some local research. i find it is much easier to find opportunity when you are actually there talking face to face with people. worked well for us in the keys. thanks again.
capt. lar