Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2022, 11:40   #1

Boat: VDS Seal 36 and Sandpiper 565
Any NON-U-tubers out there sailing?

I have to admit, I'm getting a little bummed out trying to figure out what its going to cost my monthly pension income to get away sailing. It seems that EVERYONE is out there living off Youtube and Patreon.

Funny thing is, even IF people start out saying they will be transparrent about expenses and income, they are not long before they "clam up" about how much money they suck out of the viewers each month (are you listening LADY K?)

I want to keep my life mostly private and I don't want to be editing videos for 30 hrs. a week, but it seems that if you are not getting money from strangers or sponsorship gifts from suppliers, you can't do this....

Am I off base here or do others feel the same way?

I can't wait for spring to get working on the boat and get away from the YouTube trap and make it real again!
Old 10-02-2022, 11:53   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39
Re: Any NON-U-tubers out there sailing?

Are you asking whether you personally can afford to go sailing full time without YouTube income?
Have you seen the threads where CF members share their cruising expenses?
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 11:54   #3

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

back in the day when I started cruising, only a few youtubers and it wasn't a requirement. Back then (2014) I could buy all the food I needed for $1-$2 a day, but today it cost me $25 per day grocery shopping, and each week the prices are a bit higher.

Today you basically need to be rich (inheritance, banker, CEO, drug runner etc..) or on youtube/patreon.

Forget about privacy. The end of privacy was declared a few years ago by zukerberg, so just accept it, and submit. Learn video editing, it is a more important skill than reading a chart, or the various repair work on the boat. You can simply hire people to do all of these.

Try to get a following. You will need thin women below the age of 30, and alcohol. Watch the other videos like "sailing boobies" to get an idea of what is required and what shots are needed. Remember: your viewers are mostly middle-aged losers. Make them envy you. Even if it's not that enjoyable, hide any negative aspects/drama and find some sponsors you can promote in your videos too. YT is the only way to succeed for now and the future.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 12:05   #4

Boat: Hanse 430e

I just assumed that most everyone on this forum was on YouTube or were an Influencer on Instagram to be able to sail away on a boat that needs alot of work.

I on the other-hand did it the old-fashioned way and earned my gold first. But I am more than willing to meet a nice young Aussie Lass who wants to go sailing.
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 12:07   #5

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

I think the general consensus is that about 3k a month is ok for a couple. I would guess less if you are single. This single subject probably generates more responses on here than mono vs. cat, or ketch vs. cutter, or other similar debates !

I certainly plan to do it with whatever we have when the time comes. I'll be on the shoestring end of things I'm sure, because my channel has no thin young women, just an old couple, and I can tell you with complete certainty that my wife is not going to show anything at all whatsoever !

But I do promise to keep putting my true and actual costs into my vids. But I think that might depress you too ! Lol

I think the weather up there is getting you down. Hopefully we'll get an early spring and you'll get your "boat fix."

I feel for you man !

Old 10-02-2022, 12:19   #6

I think it's wise to set off with marketable skills and creating video content for the dreamers back on land seems like a win win option. I'm currently working like a serf to build my cruising funds back up and love to watch sailing channels to remind me what my work is for. If you're a single man who's rather ornery and don't actually want to create such videos I don't think you'll find enough of an audience for it to be worth your efforts. Plenty of sailing channels spend 40+ hours a week filming and editing and having that detract from their experiences only to get fewer than a thousand views. I'm personally questioning doing some YouTube videos with similar concerns as yours and have decided to just do some shorter unedited clips for those contemplating extended voyages in the same type of boat. If there's much interest, I may put more effort in but if nobody watches, I'll leave it at that. It sounds like you should probably look into other means of earning money en route. Perhaps you can help fix mechanical components or maybe you have a knack for marine electrical circuitry or carpentry.
Notfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 12:56   #7

Boat: VDS Seal 36 and Sandpiper 565

Thanks Not Fast
I do all that stuff.... really no job I won't tackle... challenge is, does anyone else want to see me fix stuff on my boat?
Old 10-02-2022, 13:00   #8
CLOD

Boat: none

I don't have, watch, or even personally know cruisers doing U Tube stuff.

I also know 100% how much I have spent the last 5+ years cruising and living on my boat.
Old 10-02-2022, 13:04   #9

Boat: Tayana 37

Youtube isn't representative of real life for anything on the planet. For every youtube "sailor" there is I would hazard to guess there are 10,000 sailors that don't post to youtube.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 13:15   #10

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

I know a couple of the more popular/successful you-tubers quite well and have to say that they seem to work bloody hard/put in a lot of hours for the income that they're actually deriving. Conversely, I doubt that either would be able to afford the lifestyle without doing it, so it beats having a proper job and not cruising at all, but the lifestyle's certainly easier if you've been able to earn and save the necessary funds beforehand; avoid going 'exploring' with a you-tuber, the staging of video shots is just too disruptive to properly enjoy the day.
Old 10-02-2022, 13:18   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistical View Post
Youtube isn't representative of real life for anything on the planet. For every youtube "sailor" there is I would hazard to guess there are 10,000 sailors that don't post to youtube.

Port Moresby is a stop-over for many cruisers on their way from the Pacific to Asia. I haven't met one yet that is a "U-tuber".
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 13:45   #12

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Some of the YouTube “stars” are decent people. Last spring I was in Bermuda when Sam Holmes arrived in his Cape Dory 28 ‘Pickled Herring’. He is very personable and is clearly not cruising in the lap of luxury.
In this selfie I took you can see my boat at anchor over his left shoulder and his boat, with the blue hull, is farther out, also over his left shoulder. He had just cleared customs on his way to the Azores and I gave him a lift to his boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6975C580-3B85-41FA-8B39-D24942E9A602.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	419.6 KB
ID:	252746  
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 13:46   #13

Boat: Currently boatless

Why the hit on Lady K?
Ken Pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 14:18   #14

Boat: Custom designed and build 52'

I've been out sailing for well over the past 30 years and have no income from youtube or patreon.

Budget totally depends on a few things:
- How many miles do you want to rack up,
- What boat do you have,
- What skills to do repairs or maintenance do you have,
- What part of the world do you like to sail,
- Do you want your boat to have any resale value when you are 'done',
- Do you prefer anchor or marina overnights,
- Do you want to eat out in restaurants or cook for yourself

Without answering any of those questions first, your question cannot be answered. While cruising I have met fellow cruisers all over the spectrum, from $100 per month to well over $20k per month. I think the average is somewhere around about $1000 to $1300 a month.
Old 10-02-2022, 14:46   #15

Be sure to watch to the end of the video where I'll give some GREAT tips on finding the sweet secret spots. Don't forget to like, subscribe, and hit that bell button so you never miss an episode!

If you want more adventures and uncensored content, head over to my patreon page for even more crazy hijinks!

Eh, I have neither the inclination nor the teddies to make it happen. Too much work. This old junker is already enough work. I can't imagine how much longer everything would take to do if I had to film it, too.
soopad00pa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing