Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2006, 10:54   #1
cruiser

Question Another very basic question...

A while back, I asked about how to successfully rig an inflatable up to dinghy davits. Now, I have another basic question about equipment that is new to me on this boat:

If you have a cockpit enclosure with removable, clear panels, where do you store the panels when not in use?

Previously, we stored them in the V-berth. However, during charters, we cannot do this. Any ideas?

Same question again, but now what about cockpit seat cushions at night and when it rains? On the megayacht I worked on, we used to put them in special stowage compartments under each seat. On my old boat, I threw them in the salon.

Any creative ideas?
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 11:18   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
We keep everything in the shower in the forward head. Do you have a second head?
Old 04-02-2006, 12:25   #3

Hey Sean.

Do you have a locker for your sail bags? That might be a place to store them?

I would put the clear panels in a garbage bag. Or something to slip over the panels? And then sit them down inside the sail bag locker. That's what I would do!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 12:27   #4

Boat: currently "on the beach"
It works better if the panels can roll up and stay in place. Side panel are smaller and can be stowed on a narrow shelf. I wonder if you could have a storage pocket sewn into the bimini or dodger ?
Cockpit cushions are always a problem. I prefer to have smaller pieces so they can be stowed in a cockpit locker. Also, the newer cushions and coverings can be essentially water proof, so as long as you wipe 'em down early, they will feel dry. My current cushions are canvas covered on older foam. They are on my list of "things to upgrade," and might make the top of the list this year.

Larry

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 12:41   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I have 9 side pannels to surround the cockpit. I can fold then lengthwise and store them stacked flat under a settee in the saloon. Flat and dry would be the best. Rolled would be good if they can't lay flat. You just do not want them to be wet in storage. Mildew will ruin them. They need to be dry to stow.

For cockpit cushions. I usually throw them below for the night. They just take too much volume. I have them that go all the way around plus the helm seat. The foam is the 2 inch closed cell type so they don't take on water (or bend easily) but the fabric outsides get wet and it's no fun when the morning dew gets them soaked. We really have no place to put them when they are not out but they fill the saloon sette. With folks over for dinner we throw them in the forward V berth til they leave. Again when wet you don't want these in a place close up to sprout mildew.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 13:10   #6

Boat: Privilege 37
I have a "coffin" extension from one of the cabins back into an aft stowage (normally an engine bay) this is the extension to provide a full length bunk in an otherwise fairly small cabin.

I fold my wheelhouse rear panels so that the plastic window is not folded and then lay them on top of the outside of this "coffin". It keeps the panels in good condition (22 years old and still great.)

It is folding them that causes the damage.
Old 04-02-2006, 13:20   #7
cruiser

Quote:
irwinsailor once whispered in the wind:
We keep everything in the shower in the forward head. Do you have a second head?
We do have 2 heads, but as usual... the business aspect of our mission changes what someone would typically do.

We have the forward head (and V berth) as a crew area, so it is the only head we are able to use.
Old 04-02-2006, 13:44   #8
Kai Nui

I intend to store stuff like that in the ammas, but I guess that's not much help
It will cost a few dollars, but you might consider making a case of sunbrella material with a soft cloth lining. Something like the material you use for shining shoes. Then they can be stored flat in a lazerette, or if you have the space, you can hang them behind the companionway ladder. This is the prime area for storing such things on our boat. a net shelf in the forward cabin might also be a good place to store them flat. In time, storing them rolled will cause problems. They will eventually get worn from rubbing against themselves.
Old 04-02-2006, 14:20   #9

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
The drop boards go under the steps in a box made for them.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 15:20   #10
SG

Boat: J/160 #12
Storage

We have side panels for our dodger -- we stow them under the berth cushions in the forward cabin. You don't want to "stack" the zippers over each other and see that they lie flat.

I think if you role the panels with plastic view panels, you need to roll them -- but don't put them where they will get very hot (like over an engine compartment unless they're flat and not being "imbedded" with any seams or other items which cause a "lasting impression".
SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 16:32   #11
cruiser

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all of the great ideas. I'm leaning toward trying to keep the cockpit enclosure panels folded over themselves (but not creased). They are at least 36" square (more I think) and we have 11 of them.

I like the idea of some kind of pocket out on the dodger, with some kind of material between each to prevent chafing. I don't have the "good stuff" on the forward, centerline panel, so scratches in the material would turn my view of the horizon from "fog" to "blizzard".

My thoughts, after taking everything everyone said and combining it all, is to have something like an "artist's portfolio" that you can put all of the panels in. Then, I could attache it via 2 hooks to the dodger, or in the case of high winds, to 4 hooks, tucking it up inside the dodger. Great advice! Thanks!

I also liked the idea about putting them behind the companionway steps, but... they are much larger than that area on our boat.

Thanks for all the ideas. We were having trouble coming up with a fresh perspective on where to store them.
Old 04-02-2006, 16:37   #12
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
Same question again, but now what about cockpit seat cushions at night and when it rains?
I store the cockpit cushions in the cockpit, but on the floor and turned 90 degrees sideways. They don't get wet and are ready for action every morning.
With the boat not being used, they go down below between the table and the settee, again 90 degrees like a files in a file folder.

Not really a problem.

As for the clear windows, they stay folded or rolled in the cockpit lockers. 14 years later they are still in good shape.
Old 04-02-2006, 16:45   #13
cruiser

Quote:
CSY Man once whispered in the wind:
I store the cockpit cushions in the cockpit, but on the floor and turned 90 degrees sideways. They don't get wet and are ready for action every morning.
With the boat not being used, they go down below between the table and the settee, again 90 degrees like a files in a file folder.
This could be the most simple thing yet! Thanks! I'll give this a try first. I mean logically, we will probably have the enclosure up if it rains, so that will keep the cushions dry and they can remain in place. When it's nice, out, I'll try your plan. So simple. So does the 90 degree tilt prevent the dew from really forming?

If this works in FL, this should work anywhere.
Old 04-02-2006, 20:24   #14
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
If this works in FL, this should work anywhere.
Well, yes.., but only if ya have ventilation.

I run a 110 Volt fan 24 hours a day, 12 months a year inside the boat.

It keeps the spores away, no need for A/C or de-humidifier.
(Mildew hates air-flow)

The secret with real estate is Location, Location, Location.

On boats it is Ventilation, Ventilation, Ventilation. ( Air Flow)

The current fan is about 18 inches and was bought on K-mart 3 years ago for about $18.00, and it keeps going and going.

(I would have paid $80.00 for the same quality , but don't tell The Chinese who made it, or K-Mart who sold it)

So, yes the cockpit cushions are no problem in a rain-shower overnight as ya stack 'em between the steering wheel and the cokpit benches.

If you have a decent size bimini top, it should not be a problem, if not your milage may vary...
Old 05-02-2006, 06:49   #15

Boat: currently "on the beach"
On our boat, the previous owner had a waterproof vinyl cover made for the quarter berth. It fits over the cushion and allows the storage of wet gear without getting the cushions wet. I wonder if you could have a cheap waterproof cover made that would slip over the (stacked on edge) cushions suggested by CSY. Then I wonder if the cushions with slip over the top cover could not be bungeed to stanchions anywhere depending on the program for the day. A cushion case could be really handy, since they are always a storage issue for any boat. I think we are all used to the morning warning - "cushions are wet" and accept it rather than improve it.

Larry

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote