Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2017, 09:32   #1

Boat: 2019 Saona 47
Annapolis Boat Show....lesson learned, now question

As the thread title indicates, I learned a lesson over the past few days about trying to attend The US Sail Boat show in October.

I have spent the past few days trying to set up a short 4 day vacation for the wife and I so that we could attend the Annapolis Show. I contacted just about every hotel and B&B in the area and all are already booked solid for the week, except for a Holiday Inn Select who was jacking their prices up from $139 per night to almost $400 per night for the few rooms they had left. There were a few rooms available in Baltimore, but no thanks. Needless to say, we wanted to attend, but not so badly that we would allow ourselves to be robbed by a Holiday Inn. So, trip cancelled.

My question is now, "Just how far in advance does one need to reserve a room to attend the show in Annapolis? Based on this experience, perhaps I should book our room for the Miami show now. Hopefully there are still rooms available for it...
HighTemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 09:50   #2

Re: Annapolis Boat Show....lesson learned, now question

I found several airbnb listings.

https://www.airbnb.com/s/Annapolis--...out=2017-10-10
thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 10:22   #3

Boat: Island Packet 460

This doesn't answer your question, but for the Annapolis show we stay near BWI airport, lots of choices at reasonable prices. It's an easy drive to Annapolis. The downside is that somebody has to limit their intake of adult beverages.
FLJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 10:28   #4

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

We went last year on a last minute whim. Booked probably 3 days out.
It took some phone work, but talking with the bigger hotel chains allowed them to check multiple locations at a time. We found a room decently priced, I'm guessing someone cancelled.(I think it was holiday inn)
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 10:48   #5
cruiser

We stayed maybe 15-20 minutes away where most if the larger hotels seemed to be located, and booked a room for around $140/ night which included breakfast and a shuttle to the show. Go onto hotels.com or travelocity and search those types of sights. Or maybe even try airb&b, some friends had luck with that.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 10:51   #6

Boat: 2019 Saona 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJim View Post
This doesn't answer your question, but for the Annapolis show we stay near BWI airport, lots of choices at reasonable prices. It's an easy drive to Annapolis. The downside is that somebody has to limit their intake of adult beverages.
Actually it does help. We considered doing that but since this was more of a short vacation, than a boat shopping trip, the thought of commuting each day had little appeal. Placing limits on the amount of fun one allows themselves to have during a vacation, seems a bit self defeating.
HighTemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 12:28   #7

Boat: 2019 Fountaine Pajot Saba 50'

We also just booked lodging and air today (our first Annapolis show.) Found a Marriott Courtyard but have to accept the "surge" pricing for Sat and Sun. We're planning on attending all 4 days - I'm hoping Uber is an option to avoid the car parking mess?

P - We attended Miami last year; also at the last minute and had no problems with hotel. I suspect the scale of Annapolis is unique.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 13:56   #8

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

ohhh boy....we also would like to go this year for our first time...so this post is very helpfull....since we are last minute fly by the seat of our pants ...we will not pre book but are ok with staying out of town.....but i wasnt thinking that parking would be a problem
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 14:30   #9
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

We've never had a problem staying at the historic inns downtown, a 5-10 minute walk to the show. We've also had very good luck with Uber from the airport to the inns. Last time we had a Lincoln Town Car for half the price of a cab

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 15:05   #10

Boat: Tartan 37

If you want the Annapolis Marriott you need the buy a boat manufacture cause they have them booked years in advance. You can find rooms, it just how far out you willing to go. You won't likely find one in walking distance, so you are getting into a car for 5-30 min. BWI has a ton of rooms and one of the best crab cakes in the world at G&M and I'm a self confessed crab cake snob. The first boat shows there was a guy who sold sm crab cakes on crackers for a buck by the entrance, I kept looking for him for years later. At an early show my parents got the name of one hotel wrong and ended up with a dump two blocks from the entrance. The kind with a bare bulb hanging from the ceiling, it was so fun being close and at the end of the day you're so tired you could sleep on a sidewalk.

Looks like a few rooms within 3 miles for $160-180. If you want close, book as soon as you know you're going. A year out is not out of the question.

There are a limited number of rooms in Annapolis, Miami has a ton of rooms when you compare. The Boat show doesn't even move the needle down there.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 15:43   #11

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

For those worried about parking, there's no need. The show sets up satellite lots and then uses buses to get people to the show. Unless there is a football game going on, they will park people up by the US Naval Academy stadium.

Another option is to get off onto Rte 450/West Street - there are public lots available and a public trolley (or one can also walk from those lots.) Miss Shirley's on West street has a good breakfast, but they fill up quickly.
indimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 15:53   #12

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTemp View Post
My question is now, "Just how far in advance does one need to reserve a room to attend the show in Annapolis? Based on this experience, perhaps I should book our room for the Miami show now. Hopefully there are still rooms available for it...
You can book any time if you stay around the airport. They have plenty of rooms for rent around there.

No crazy prices at the airport.

Just a short drive to the boat show from there.

Miami boat show will be far more expensive to attend.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 16:14   #13

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
As the thread title indicates, I learned a lesson over the past few days about trying to attend The US Sail Boat show in October.
Vendors and other exhibitors start making reservations as soon as the hotels will take them, generally the week after Columbus Day. Between those reservations and those of advance planners if you want to be in walking distance you are dependent on cancellations if you don't act early.

The hotels will charge what the market will bear.

Some locals plan their vacations around Boat Show and rent out their houses.

You don't have to look too far from town to find plenty of room at rates close to the norm. That does mean commuting and consequent parking. Close parking is taken by early arrivers (including exhibitors). I'm a local. My wife drops me off and I Uber home.

Quote:
Miami doesn't load up hotels the way Annapolis does. We don't have the local infrastructure that Miami and Fort Lauderdale do. Still, if you want to walk you should book early. "Early" is months not weeks. Lots of months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmSeasQuest View Post
P - We attended Miami last year; also at the last minute and had no problems with hotel. I suspect the scale of Annapolis is unique.
Big town show in a small town. Boat show and major Naval Academy events overload Annapolis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navicula View Post
but i wasnt thinking that parking would be a problem
Parking is a problem. Expect a long walk. Note that parking tickets are a big source of revenue during Boat Show. "Close enough" to fire plugs, corners, bus stops, and other red curbs simply isn't close enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffcard View Post
If you want the Annapolis Marriott....
Note that it isn't a Marriott anymore. It's the independent Annapolis Waterfront Hotel.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 18:03   #14

Boat: Cape Dory, Cutter,30

I don't see why you don't get a room in the Solomon’s or Prince Frederick and just drive up to the Navy football stadium and take the free bus to the boat show. It’s only a little more than an hour drive each way and you can see what’s it like in Southern Maryland.
moctrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 11:11   #15

We stayed in the Arundell Mills area last year and were able to book 2 rooms about 2 weeks out. Didn't seem like a far drive and parking wasn't an issue. First day parked in a residential area and the second parked at the stadium.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis, annapolis boat show, boat, boat show