Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2016, 08:35   #16

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25
Re: Am I crazy or what

I have no experience shipping boats anywhere, but, I have met plenty of cruisers who took off with less training than you seem to have. I would consider getting some more experienced folk to sail south to maybe Washington next summer with you. Then if it turns out you don't like the boat it would be in a bigger market for you to sell and if you like it it would be in a better location to ship. In regards to whether you are crazy, which I have more experience with, jthere is a simple test you could take. Read the 8 Bill Tilman sailing books and see just how much you identify with him.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:45   #17

Boat: Catalina 30

Wow, lots of interesting answers. Here's what I would say:
1. Steel hulls: no way. You will be fighting rust from day one, you have no idea how difficult they are to maintain. My dad owned one. I know.

2. Do not, under any circumstance, buy a boat from way far away. The costs of transport will eat you alive. Plus, just think of what happens in transport as that boat goes jiggle, bumpty bump all the way to your place. Boats aren't designed for that.

3. Buy a local boat. My suggestion is something like a Catalina 30. They are cheap, you can sail all around the great lakes on them, and spend some time sailing. Don't buy a big 'ole boat that you can't take out and have fun with at a moment's notice. You can spend a week going up the coast to Madison County Wisconsin, really push it and see the U.P., sail across the Lake Michigan ocean to Holland and meet me (I'll buy you dinner at the yacht club), do the West Coast of Michigan, etc. After 5 years, you might get 75% of the sailing in Lake Michigan accomplished. Then think about the world cruise.

4. We sailors are dreamers. We always think about going to the exotic places, sailing into the sunset, etc. You might find that the Wednesday night beer can races are a lot more practical and almost as fulfilling in aggregate. Or that taking off and sailing across the pond and up to Charlevoix or Mackinaw is every bit as challenging and exciting.
carlheintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:54   #18

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

For the cost of just the shipping alone...how many WEEKS of Caribbean bare boat charters could you get?
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:01   #19

Boat: Island Packet 445

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlheintz View Post
Wow, lots of interesting answers. Here's what I would say:
1. Steel hulls: no way. You will be fighting rust from day one, you have no idea how difficult they are to maintain. My dad owned one. I know.

2. Do not, under any circumstance, buy a boat from way far away. The costs of transport will eat you alive. Plus, just think of what happens in transport as that boat goes jiggle, bumpty bump all the way to your place. Boats aren't designed for that.

3. Buy a local boat. My suggestion is something like a Catalina 30. They are cheap, you can sail all around the great lakes on them, and spend some time sailing. Don't buy a big 'ole boat that you can't take out and have fun with at a moment's notice. You can spend a week going up the coast to Madison County Wisconsin, really push it and see the U.P., sail across the Lake Michigan ocean to Holland and meet me (I'll buy you dinner at the yacht club), do the West Coast of Michigan, etc. After 5 years, you might get 75% of the sailing in Lake Michigan accomplished. Then think about the world cruise.

4. We sailors are dreamers. We always think about going to the exotic places, sailing into the sunset, etc. You might find that the Wednesday night beer can races are a lot more practical and almost as fulfilling in aggregate. Or that taking off and sailing across the pond and up to Charlevoix or Mackinaw is every bit as challenging and exciting.

Go with your dreams if you can afford it.

Nothing wrong with a good steel boat. I've got friends that have literally sailed around the world on their steel boats and they swear by them.

Alaska is not a hotbed for resale of sailboats so it's possible that you'd save enough money to easily pay to ship the boat to Chicago. Fly to Alaska (soon though. As they say in Game of Thrones - Winter is Coming!). Have the boat surveyed and make a lowball offer. Find a crew and sail it back to Vancouver or upper Washington either right away or in the spring. If you crew on your own boat you will learn a ton! Cost to ship truck the boat to Chicago is likely about $20K. Nothing wrong with trucking a boat either. Any "jiggle, bumpty bump" from trucking is a hell of a lot less stressful on a boat than a week in rough seas. Do hire an established trucker with a lot of experience with sailboats (like Joule in Florida).

Then you will be learning on your own boat and everything that you put into her will be towards your final dream. You won't be buying a cheap little boat for now, spending money on her and then selling to upgrade later. With commissions etc, you'd be throwing away tens of thousands of dollars that could go into your dream boat.

The dream boat still might not ending up being your final boat but there's a better chance of that than if you settle for a 30' Catalina and know that you're reselling that boat a few years down the road.

Don't let anyone ruin your dreams! Life is too short. Work on getting away from the dock as soon as you can. No one is ever truly ready to leave and some people spend a lifetime getting ready to leave and then never do. Sad....
Old 06-10-2016, 09:25   #20

When you say you "found your boat"... have you actually been aboard it? Be VERY AWARE than a very low percentage of boats listed for sale look like the info in the ad sounds. Also, steel boats don't sell that well so you will find the boat you want WHEN you want it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:49   #21

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

Crazy,

I live in and worked in VT and own "your" boat i.e. a Ted Brewer 42 Kingsland in steel.

I think the idea is great BUT it doesn't belong on the Great Lakes. I'd sail it to Seattle or some place easy access by air and keep it there. ONLY thing re the 14 yo plan is that is will be 14 YEARS older and steel does NOT tolerate neglect. Lost so maintenance vs FRP. Having in Chicago is better that easy but when you do retire you wont be able to sail it down the Mississippi. I kept my boat in RI first year then to FL East Coast where it has been for 15 years. I only reirted 5 years ago.
Talk more off list serve at <svascension@yahoo.com> Russ
Old 06-10-2016, 10:56   #22

Boat: PDQ 36

Better yet, buy it and keep it in Alaska for a while. Get here as often as you can, wonderful sailing here!!

The sail down to the lower 48 states is not for the faint of heart or the inexperienced. The gulf of Alaska can be gnarly, you have to have time to wait for the right weather window. But it probably can be shipped to the lower 48 by barge. Barges come up here from Seattle fully loaded and probably sail back fairly empty. There are several shipping companies if you want to check prices, Sealand and Alaska Traffic are the two that pop up in my head immediately.

Where is the boat now? Seward? Whittier? Homer? or even Juneau? Juneau would be an easy trip down to the lower 48.
KiminAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:02   #23

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Plenty said so far, but.... You are not crazy, just mildly insane, which beats most of the choices that remain available to humans. The reasons I might say don't buy it are 1/your tastes about what to buy may, and probably will, change dramtically before you can actually live your dream. 2/ Old consumer sized steel hulls are frequently not the long term survivors as one might imagine. My suggestion is buy something, but buy locally after further consideration. The cost difference from the transportation alone will allow a lot of leeway. I know, I know, you got it bad, so you will do what you will, so enjoy whatever you decide.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:04   #24

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

IMHO, If you REALLY want that boat, Take the time off for preparation and the trip, and get an experienced captain/crew to sail with you to get it home. If you aren't ready to take the time off, then it isn't the right boat for you...
Old 07-10-2016, 07:51   #25

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

For any boat chosen, you can find some better ones soon after

More, any longer boat is a better one, any newer boat is too

And, indeed, ANY boat is on sale. So, everyone is available. Yet none is perfect. No one.

Choose one you can tolerate/afford the drawbacks of.

Any money not spent today comes for a better boat tomorrow, thus never regret dropping a too-low offer, or calling off any spell.

I took 10+years longing for my boat, but working too much i gave up
I came more serious about it in 2000, then 2007, and again in 2013.

I remain very happy for what I didn't buy (but one, too small, but a tiny violin of a boat...)

I scrutinized hundreds of them, tested 3-4, and bought another one, 10' longer, obviously nicer and more demanding
Truth is, we are CHOSEN by our boats, no kidding, little rational process, gut feelings are in charge.

Not to say super-ego, vanity, show-off, exuberance...any dark side of psyche too.

Then, you can love your bitch

And, as a check list, this must work out:

You must be proud of her
You must forgive her
You must be able to sell at little regret (i fail on this test, after 2year long restoration, which i never will do again... MAYBE :-)
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 16:46   #26

Simple. Fly out and buy the boat right now. Have it hauled and stored till next summer. Take a leave of absence for 6 weeks and sail it home via The Northwest passage. Piece of cake, thanks to global warming!
In 14 years, there won't be an arctic. So go now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northw...st_Passage.png
dgz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 17:49   #27

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, cookingguy,

If all your experience is J22's or smaller, now is not the time to buy a 40 foot steely. You have to be incredibly disciplined to effectively maintain steel. At the marina, their owners are the guys with paint stains and a couple or three brushes in their pockets most weekends.

I think, for you, I'd be thinking trailer sailers through maybe a Catalina 27. (The Catalinas are popular, and you will not lose too much on re-sale if she is well maintained.) Imo, you want an easy boat to quickly launch and go sailing. Boats on the Great Lakes are generally hauled for autumn through spring, but if she's on a trailer in your driveway, you have more latitude.

The more you sail, the more you learn, if you pay attention. It is a case of taking smaller steps. First boat, maybe all your boats, you buy locally, this gives you more money (the $20 k you saved from not shipping the steely from AK) for setting up the boat you do get. For a first owned boat, it is easiest when you have more sailing and less maintenance. You sail, you go places, you anchor, you learn about living on the boat while cruising. Eventually, unless you are well heeled, you will want to do your own maintenance to save $$, but also to ensure good work. Starting simpler is ultimately easier on you.

One thing to be aware of is that if you like light and fast, because responsiveness turns you on, you are not likely to find those qualities in a 40 ft. steely. Read up on boat building substances and their properties. You'll increase your knowledge base for making decisions.

Ann
Old 13-10-2016, 08:47   #28

Boat: S2 9.2C 30ft

Thank you all for your responses, all the responses were great. I now have a lot more to think about now.. ( gee thanks a lot..lol )

But in all serious, I will take some more time and wait on my future boat purchase and just learn, learn and learn. Then go rent a few times. just to clear up a few things, I have sailed on and helmed the following types of boats this year: C&C 30, Beneteau 35 and 36.7, Pacific Seacraft 35, Hallberg-Rassy 35, hunter 30, and a Lagoon 40ft cat.

So i have some experience on different boats. I sail the head sailing instructor has said that i have learned a lot this year and he said that I can get out and sail a J22 single handed by myself right now with the experience that I have right now. Even though I am just starting on my sailing plans, i have dont lots of research on the type of boat I want for the conditions I wish to sail in along with what it take to maintain them. But everyone is allowed their opinion.

But thank you again I look forward to great advice in my future questions.
cookingguy is offline   Reply With Quote