Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2020, 21:53   #1

Alternative to gas cooker?

Hi Everyone,

We currently haven elderly gas stove (2 x burner + grill and oven + the oven door doesn't seal ) on our 36' huon pine yawl. The gas line + regulator won't pass inspection (for insurance) and it's going to cost around $8-900 to replace it (and then the old stove won't pass a pressure test, I'll bet!
We would love to have replaced it with a good old metho stove/grill, but they don't seem to be around any more here in Tasmania (or anywhere else)... question is, are there any viable alternatives to gas?

Any advice would be appreciated...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191014_101023.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	414.6 KB
ID:	228283  
jockster1059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:37   #2

Re: Alternative to gas cooker?

Taylor's is still in existence
https://blakesandtaylors.co.uk/taylo...eaters-5-c.asp
But the prices are robust, plus shipping.
There's a thread on here somewhere about induction hobs and electric cooking. If you're in Marinas frequently enough it's viable I guess, or if you have enough solar/wind generation and battery power.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 18:29   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I’d probably go electric and a Honda generator, my personal opinion is that if your really cooking and not just heating precooked food up that the amount of additional Solar required or do it, just isn’t really possible on an average mono.

I would not go with a camp stove, especially one that uses small propane or gaz tanks
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 19:23   #4

https://www.bonetticampers.com/acces...-burner-stove/

Looks like someone in QLD started making their own.

Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:23   #5

Boat: Taswell 43

We trashed our gas cooker back in 2002, and installed an electric stove and over (per the Admiral's specific request!). We have a genset installed, and typically run it once or twice/day. We have since installed a watermaker, and it, too, is electric (AC). Yes, the system is dependent on the genset, but it has worked flawlessly for us ever since. We use the genset to cover..."bathroom noises" (when guests are aboard) and to recharge our batts in the AM, and for cooking and water making (once every 4-5 days) in the evening. We have averaged about 1.6 hours runtime/day. Some days we use the back rail BBQ, and only use the M/W or the stove for vegs and/or rice, and sometimes make the whole meal on the stove...it's a 3-burner Force 10. We have used the oven, but not often. And now we're looking at an induction cooktop, to place on top of the stove glasstop, to speed up the cooking and minimize the heat in the cabin. BUT...it completely eliminates any LP gas inside the boat...something we're both happy about!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:48   #6

$800-900 to replace a gas line? Something wrong there.
You can buy new RV stoves very reasonable and they have all the certifications and devices for modern compliance.
Do you use the oven? If not you can get a 3 burner cook top for less than $100

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:32   #7

Boat: Rawson 30PH

You might consider a Wallas diesel cooktop. You het cooking and dry heat for condensation reduction … and no explosions from flammable gas
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:41   #8
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

your gas line and regulator install estimate seems a bit high. the biggest cost in a gas system is the gas locker and it appears you already have that. the idea of a gas cook top seems like a good one to me. up to you.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:13   #9

Boat: Morgan Giles 30

there are plenty of pre-used Taylor paraffin cookers on the market, either ex UK or USA. Ebay is usually a source.
PSC63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:11   #10

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Rung a 2 burner stove top on 1 lb propane is cheap (under $50) and easy to set up at negligibile risk. If g a 2 burner your rail mounted grill uses a large propane can you can use it to refill the small bottles, if not you probably store extra bottles outside of the cockpit already.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 14:03   #11

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Diesel, since most already have the fuel and tankage aboard, or kerosene--or alcohol, non-pressurized or pressurized, or white spirit, which I would NEVER have aboard because it is a carcinogen (although many still use it in mantle pressure lamps etc.)

Alcohol or ethanol or methylated spirit, as it is often known, is now hard to get in some places because the oil companies add it to petrol fuels and it is in short supply--(and feel-good dickheads want to stop we low life folk from drinking it) but most paint stores still sell it--at a high price of course--and without the purple dye because besides being a good cleaner of surfaces to be freed from oils, it is also used to speed up the drying of some water-based paints.

But if you have the money, I would go for the diesel range-top and oven.

It is probably the safest combustion stove but the most expensive option, and besides, you probably use diesel in your piped cabin heating system too. One non-pressurised fuel which is safe and serves all purposes would be a good thing--at least as far as my logic takes me.

Then there is propane--or a mixture of propane and other gasses sold as LPG--and it is likely we all have used that at one time or another--and it is potentially the most dangerous fuel. (Apart from white spirit or benzine, as it is also known.) Never take benzene below decks where it can be inhaled. That rules it out for cooking or cabin lighting, but it is fine once alight outdoors and camping--so do not toss out your Coleman's lanterns and camping stoves yet. Just do not have them aboard--kerosene is MUCH safer.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 14:15   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSC63 View Post
there are plenty of pre-used Taylor paraffin cookers on the market, either ex UK or USA. Ebay is usually a source.
Used to be bit not so now, at least in my experience. I had to look quite a while to get one.

I sold a brand new Seward (?) because of fit issues. That fellow gave up in his build and the stove (very nice) is available. I cant imagine shipping costs to Taz.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 15:55   #13

This topic has been hashed over before. In Australia, the legal requirements for gas systems is radically different to the US ones. Here, the gas pipelines MUST be certified tubing (it comes with a green cover) and MUST be installed by a certified marine gas installer. The gas pipeline has a range of requirements for mounting, protection etc.
Gas bottle installation must also meet a list of requirements. The regulators must be double stage models. The burner/grill/oven must have auto cutoffs and I believe auto ignition. There should be a manual cut off near the stove. There are requirements for detectors etc.
It is a bit tricky to evade these requirements as vessel state registration and probably Aus. registration and most likely insurance, require that these conditions are met.

The cost estimate just for the pipe installation given ($8 000 to $9 000) originally is actually very typical for a small boat. A small charter vessel near Cairns laid out $25 000 for the pipe installation some years ago. There are many unhappy boat owners involved. Considerable compliance evasion as well, I suspect.

If you are importing a boat to Aus. you need to be aware of all this as overseas specs simply will most likely not meet Aus. requirements.

Exemptions can be managed. e.g. if the gas cooker is aft cockpit mounted and there are no gas lines at all in the boat then most if not all of the requirements go out the window.
Induction cookers and or microwave ovens with all the associated power requirements are looking to be better alternatives. $8000 buys a lot of solar panels and/or a small gen set. Diesel is another option as these stoves can be used as boat heaters as well ... maybe suitable for Tasmania, but not the tropics.
I also believe that conditions may vary from state to state, but one should check this out carefully. (e.g. private boat registration is not even required in the NT.)
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 16:59   #14

Boat: Hinckley 59
Send a message via AIM to caffel

I used a Taylors kero (parafin) stove w oven successfully for over 5 years. Get a 1-2 gallon remote tank w pump and you have all that you need. The burners do need cleaning, just like other liquid fuel burners. Primus hardware is compatible and available in small ports. Half way through the trip we discovered that if you buy JP5 (jet kero) you gat a bit more heat and less soot.
Don't let the boatyard estimate stand, though, that's way too much to replace the regulator & hose. Just make sure you always have a bilge ventilator fan running when the LPG gas is on.
caffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 05:49   #15

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m

There are some possibilities here
https://www.kuranda.co.uk/brands/
Some will be in other countries, probably.
John
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote