Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 10:43   #106
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: AIS Experience Offshore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I find it tiresome that so much of the conversation on this forum revolves around affordability. Whether or not a given member can afford radar has little bearing upon its usefulness as a navigation tool. This same argument is applied to everything from having adequate ground tackle to rigging a boat properly, to maintaining necessary safety gear. The same guy who can't afford a life raft can't afford radar and can't afford.... Perhaps we should just recognize that there are many more people on the net who would like to cruise than can afford to do so.
Seems to me that much of this thread is the same old story, folk seeking validation for decisions already made - by decrying other approaches.

Even if I could afford every last bell and whistle on my boat (and added another 10 foot to accomadate?!), I wouldn't..........For much the same reason as I wouldn't tack a sidecar onto my Triumph. Would add a load more practicality (at times) and be "safer" - but (for me) kinda misses the point of having a motorcycle.

Different strokes for different folks I guess .

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:56   #107

I had radar on my last boat, AIS on this boat. I did not purchase a radar yet for the new boat, its a budget thing. I like both, AIS works fo me when others transmit. When large ships are overtaking me, it is nice to be able to call them by name and agree on a passing. It is not a replacement for radar but worth it weight for what it info it gives. JMHOP

ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:13   #108
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif

Money in the bank = good
I wouldn't know anything about money in the bank.

We don't do that in California.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:44   #109

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Great post.

Radar is a specific tool for a specific job as is AIS. Trying to use a hammer to set screws is futility.
+1

Quote:
I am trying to be more broad minded when I consider posting. I sail in Singapore 90% of the time. I dont have a good perspective on the carribean or bahamas. I dont have a good perspective on SFO but it is growing as I get more time sailing there.

The issue with radar is that it is expensive. But if your sailing grounds have 100 days of fog each year the alternative is stay at the dock.
+1 And my only problem with all threads like these is telling noobs that non-AIS transmitting vessels are trivial and are not worrisome. That will give them the idea that an AIS receiver is all that's needed to sail in low visibility situations. That'll buy one and sail off into the fog or darkness and feel safe.

Quote:
Bang for buck is relative. Neither radar or AIS is mandatory or necessary to safely sail and cruise. They are conveniences added to make passage making easier, safely or gain utility from the boat by being able to sail when the weather comes down.

Radar = good
AIS = good
Money in the bank = good

Its all about priorities
Agree!
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 13:24   #110

Boat: One-off 1904 Gaff-rig, 28' LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post

+1 And my only problem with all threads like these is telling noobs that non-AIS transmitting vessels are trivial and are not worrisome. That will give them the idea that an AIS receiver is all that's needed to sail in low visibility situations. That'll buy one and sail off into the fog or darkness and feel safe.
And my only problem with this, and many other comments like it in this thread is that it assumes all "noobs" are stupid. We're not.

(DotDun - don't mean to single you out here, it was just the last comment implying this that I read.)
vcsmithuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 14:26   #111

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I am officially a noobie - to the site. I've sailed dozens of boats from the time I was about 8, (50 years ago) from Cape Dorey 10, Buckinear & Super-Porpose to our Camper 58. I still own 3 sailboats including a Tornado. I raced for about 20 years and we are now planning retirement on blue water and world cruising. There is new to sailing, new to the site, new to paradigm shifts in your sailing. Planning for the world cruise - I feel noobie again. Look for the gems you can find here, share the goodies you know. Welcome to the group.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 15:02   #112

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcsmithuk View Post
And my only problem with this, and many other comments like it in this thread is that it assumes all "noobs" are stupid. We're not.

(DotDun - don't mean to single you out here, it was just the last comment implying this that I read.)
I never assumed such! Stupidity is spread equally among those with lots of experience and those with none!
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 15:47   #113
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: AIS Experience Offshore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
I never assumed such! Stupidity is spread equally among those with lots of experience and those with none!
Damn...
I woz hopin ya woodun note ice...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, offshore