Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2010, 16:18   #1

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Abby Will Stop in Capetown

I'm really sorry that we won't see Jessica set the record and then have Abby set it again a few months later.

Unfortunately Abby has been let down by her two autopilots and she will no longer be going for the non-stop non-record.

Both young ladies are setting examples that are hard to beat.

-Sven
Old 24-04-2010, 16:34   #2

I'm surprised she doesn't have a wind vane.
TrevC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2010, 16:52   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevC View Post
I'm surprised she doesn't have a wind vane.
There aren't any that are rated for the speed of the open class boats of that size.

Unfortunate.

-Sven
Old 24-04-2010, 17:04   #4

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
This was my fear and prediction on the other thread some months ago.

Very unfortunate.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2010, 21:50   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
At least she got to Cape Town. ( As I sit frustrated behind my desk)
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2010, 22:35   #6

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
She was using two CourseMaster autopilots. This is not good advertising for this company.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2010, 23:25   #7

Boat: 44Ft Sloop
Given that the 'record' so to speak, won't be acknowledged, is there any reason why an appropriate aircraft can't do a fly-by and drop her a replacement. Sure, you could argue her voyage wouldn't have been unassisted but, surely, she's been let down by a plonker product. Why should a plonker product get in the way of her attempt?

As has been noted, her vessel can't be steered by a wind-vane....but then that's the fault of the organising party who sent her off on a high-speed craft rather than a more sedate vessel.

I never did understand that. She's doing an age thing, not a speed thing. So why the hurry-up vessel?

But it seems to me that it would be quite acceptable for her to get a new autopilot, dropped in.

Moreover, are the dicks who supplied the existing pilot prepared to front up with compensation. Apparently, the hydraulic fluid leaks, the electrical joints ain't worth tuppence and the whole poxy sheebang has cost a tough little girl a shot at doing what nobody has ever done before.

Nar! I reckon she should get a decent autopilot dropped and get on with the rest of the trip. Then, at least, she'll have done it.

I had to laugh at and acknowledge the comment one on Abby's blog site who said he couldn't get his teens off the couch. That put this whole thing in perspective for me.

Bugger the rules. Give a kid with a huge heart a bit of a hand-up, I say.
dpex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2010, 01:13   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Seems to me those “dicks” probably volunteered their time and parts to help a ‘little girl” drive a boat around the world with everyone telling her what to do.

Am I the only one who keeps reading mixed messages from the supporters of these young sailors?

An older more experience sailor would have been roundly criticized for his/her judgment on the equipment and installation, but with the kids…. it’s the sponsor’s or volunteer’s fault.

I really don’t get it. If we are going to give these incredible young people the respect they deserve, then send them your best wishes but don't blame others or make "exceptions to the rules" because they are kids.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2010, 06:19   #9

Boat: Sadler 26
I am not sure where she is now, but if possible, she could sail through the Heads into the Knysna Lagoon where, if the supplyers pull finger, I could have a replacement floating just waiting for her to pick up and be on her way without even having to stop. Just let me know and it can be arranged!
Old 25-04-2010, 06:48   #10

Boat: Charter
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpex View Post
She's doing an age thing, not a speed thing. So why the hurry-up vessel?
Because if she doesn't go fast, she might not make the age thing.
sec906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2010, 07:26   #11

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
who is Abby and who is Jessica? Sounds like two teen pop singers but wrong forum
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2010, 14:36   #12

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpex View Post
Given that the 'record' so to speak, won't be acknowledged, is there any reason why an appropriate aircraft can't do a fly-by and drop her a replacement. Sure, you could argue her voyage wouldn't have been unassisted but, surely, she's been let down by a plonker product. Why should a plonker product get in the way of her attempt?

As has been noted, her vessel can't be steered by a wind-vane....but then that's the fault of the organising party who sent her off on a high-speed craft rather than a more sedate vessel.

I never did understand that. She's doing an age thing, not a speed thing. So why the hurry-up vessel?

But it seems to me that it would be quite acceptable for her to get a new autopilot, dropped in.

Moreover, are the dicks who supplied the existing pilot prepared to front up with compensation. Apparently, the hydraulic fluid leaks, the electrical joints ain't worth tuppence and the whole poxy sheebang has cost a tough little girl a shot at doing what nobody has ever done before.

Nar! I reckon she should get a decent autopilot dropped and get on with the rest of the trip. Then, at least, she'll have done it.

I had to laugh at and acknowledge the comment one on Abby's blog site who said he couldn't get his teens off the couch. That put this whole thing in perspective for me.

Bugger the rules. Give a kid with a huge heart a bit of a hand-up, I say.
I agree that her boat selection was wrong, and that probably is the fault of her dad which I'm sure had control over that decision.

An unassisted circumnavigation does not allow any outside help period. She knows that she's knocked out of an unassisted attempt, but I believe that she is still going to finish the job as an assisted circumnavigation. She still could finish the trip as the youngest assisted person to sail around the world, and that's an accomplishment in itself.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 21:35   #13

After reading Zac's blog I assumed that Abby's would also become a proselytizing platform but her entries have been really refreshing and honestly written (as far as I can tell). You really feel like she is the author and that she speaks what is on her mind.

Quite a young lady.

-Sven