Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2008, 11:13   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
A Bit of Saturday Carnage

We went out on a trip from Anacortes to Friday Harbor in what was supposed to be 15-20. It turned out to be 25-30+ and 6-8 foot short period chop against the Ebb. After reefing the Main and 135, we beat down the Rosario Strait to the San Juan channel. I guess that sometime during the pounding, flying gear or bodies broke off a mahogany drink table. The two Grandkids were ill and then my daughter became ill when my Granddaughter missed feeding the fishes and hit her instead. We pounded on through while shipping lots of green water and dragging fenders and assorted lines. I wasn't about to send someone out to drag them in until we turned the corner to flatter water. Besides, we were averaging 8.3 SOG as it was.

Crew, wet but ok:

My intrepid photog on his first sail on this boat:

Moving well:

Later on that night with three rags up, the 135 blew to shreds. I guess I'll recut it and use it for a Mizzen Mule. I always wanted to try one of those.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:52   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
You Know one mistake I see just in the pictures is that your reef ties are tight against the boom. And there should be an outhaul just below the reef points to take up the sail tension.

The ties are just for gathering up loose sail not hold the sail in place. It's no wonder you shred a sail.

And I believe I would have had a jackline on that toddler!
Old 07-04-2008, 12:03   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
The reef cringles are hooked fore and tied off via the reef line aft. The ties are holding the extra canvas from flogging. This is my first boat with reefs so until a couple of people told me different, I thought the ties wrapped the boom. I'll try the other way next time. The luff needed to be re-tensioned though. She did have a tether on the back of her PFD. The blown out sail was the Genoa and that happened that night in lighter air. It was tired.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:51   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Unless it's a loose footed sail the reef ties will have to wrap the boom. BUT, the sail should not put any tension against the eyelets. I prefer using bungee cord so there is no mistake, although, I do have a loose footed main.

Each reef point should have a tack and clew large cringle eyelet. The tack should be attached the the gooseneck and the clew attached to the outhaul.

When one tightens up the outhaul it creates a new foot to the sail and the main can be hoisted up so the luff can be snug again. Then the excess sail can be loosely wrap in the reef ties.

That's it..............................._/)
Old 07-04-2008, 13:00   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hey, Charlie. Nice photos! Thanks for posting them. You guys are one hard core sailing family! What did the little ones have to say about it after you got back in
Old 07-04-2008, 13:20   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

delmarry, it's not loose footed and the reef line runs back to a cheek block from the aft cringle and then back to a cleat on the boom. The fore cringle hooks at the gooseneck. Im going to tie the sail ties off above the boom next time and see how that looks. It would've helped if I put some tension in the halyard.

Hud3, The Grandson didn't like the rough leg much but really enjoyed the rest. the Granddaughter just loves sailing. They both slept most of the return leg in the pilot berths with leeboards up, including crossing back through the Strait. The adults were all very sore the next day. Huge loads in the sails at those wind levels. It makes for quite the workout because we were doing tacks at racing speed. Gotta keep the skills sharp.

PS. I like sharing especially since some folks up North are still stuck on the hard. Gotta give them inspiration now and again.