Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2009, 14:11   #1

Thinking of Moving to Miami area....

And am curious about the sailing down that way. I know this sounds incredibly stupid, at least it does to me, but how is it during the summer (beyond the obvious hot & humid)? I guess I worry about hurricane season and what that means for sailors down there in the summer months. Do you haul? Do you sail? Do you still head over to the Bahamas?

What is summer sailing like in south Florida?
DPMatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 14:12   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Today is absolutly beautiful!!!!!!
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 14:17   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Today is absolutly beautiful!!!!!!
That's great. Any other info pertaining to my questions?
Old 24-04-2009, 11:25   #4

Boat: temporarily boatless...
I sail (out of Miami) year-round. Summer is always scary, but not because of the hurricanes, rather because of the nearly daily thunderstorms and the lightning that accompanies them. Never been hit yet, fingers crossed... Hurricanes aren't really an issue worth making a top priority if you're considering a move. They're really quite rare (2004 and 2005 aside) and generally avoidable. Hauling isn't really practical with a larger cruiser, but the local knowledge regarding what to do to minimize damage is quite good. Bahamas are quite doable year-round, there is a small risk that a major storm will form so close that you can't get to a safe harbor in time, but again I don't think it's worth making this a major priority in your decision. Winds are generally very light in the summer except just before those thunderstorms hit, but you can see them coming and have plenty of time to reef. AC is highly recommended...pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 11:59   #5

Get Rosetta Stone and learn Spanish if you're headed to Miami.
Old 24-04-2009, 12:28   #6

Summer sailing requires a good bimini. As long as you remain out of the sun, it is quite comfortable on the water. The afternoon showers tend to provide some cloud cover and cools things down quite bit. I enjoy the summers as much as the winters because the water is warmer and the swimming is much better.

Biscayne Bay is one of the most beautiful sailing venues in the US. Warm shallow water, in sight of a beautiful skyline. As much protected water as anyone could want with the Keys to the south and the Bahamas starting 50 miles to the East.

Spanish and a shallow draft vessel are both recommended.
Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 12:32   #7

Boat: searching
Wink Sailing is great!

Lived there 15 years and can say the sailing is great! Day sailing on Biscayne Bay cannot be beat, its big and the water is a beautiful blue. For longer excursions you've got the keys all the way to the Dry Tortugas, still can't believe we never made it to the Bahamas, but its right next door and for the classic daylight approach, just a short overnight sail to Bimini. We sailed year round and the storms can be impressive, hey bring in the sails, same as they do up north. The heat breaks with the 1st cold front in October and the weather is pretty darn nice till early May. Watch out for January it can get down to the 30's and 40's for a few days at a time.
Life ashore is tuff, exciting but tuff. Just like NY or LA, be careful where you get off the freeway! If I did not have instant access to the water, I would have never lasted as long as we did. We had our catamaran tied up behind the house on the Little River. Its a big international city and if you like to dance and watch half naked women you are going to love it.

The Herbster
Old 24-04-2009, 12:47   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Herb sees moore naked women dance than anybody........lolololol Sorry Herb I couldn't resist. We'll miss you at the Fling.....i2f

We used South Beach as a hub for 4 seasons, and loved it. We would often take the busses into Miami for errands. Spanish will definitely help, but you will survive without it. The funny thing is if you butcher Spanish from grade school lessons. The person will most likely start to speak good English for you at least attempting.

Ditto thoughts on sailing Biscayne.........wonderful......i2f
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	John bowman.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	7894  
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2009, 07:23   #9

Thanks guys!

Tags