Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2015, 18:37   #16

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: South coast Newfoundland and fog

Carry a dog. That's the reason for being of the original Newfoundland dogs, y'know.

Every Grand Banks fishing schooner carried a dog. In thick pea soup fog, when lthey couldn't see anything, not even the bow of the boat, they'd be ghosting along, and suddenly your dog's ears would perk up. Over yonder, hidden in the fog, ghosting along would be another fishing boat--with their dog. Your dog knew there was another DOG over there!! And he'd start barking his head off! And the other dog would start barking like crazy!

And that's how they knew which boat was where in the pea souper fogs.

(I don't know nothin' about fog bells....)
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 21:28   #17

Boat: Custom 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymore View Post
Carry a dog. That's the reason for being of the original Newfoundland dogs, y'know.

Every Grand Banks fishing schooner carried a dog. In thick pea soup fog, when lthey couldn't see anything, not even the bow of the boat, they'd be ghosting along, and suddenly your dog's ears would perk up. Over yonder, hidden in the fog, ghosting along would be another fishing boat--with their dog. Your dog knew there was another DOG over there!! And he'd start barking his head off! And the other dog would start barking like crazy!

And that's how they knew which boat was where in the pea souper fogs.

(I don't know nothin' about fog bells....)
Well, it just so happens that Baxter, our trusty Beagle/Jack Russell mix will be along for the ride. He's got over 10,000 offshore miles under his paws by now, so he will surely be up to the task. If I can get him to wake up for long enough, anyway...

TJ
TJ D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 04:50   #18

Boat: Cape Dory 28 (Sold Nov 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post
Hi all,

We'll be leaving ME for Newfoundland shortly, and are thinking about routing. I know that the incidence of fog on the S coast is higher than elsewhere. We would like to visit that coast, but if we can't ever see anything, it does seem to be a bit of a waste, eh?

Any NL vets care to chime in on their experience?

Good sailing, TJ
The blog in my signature, and in particular the dates in 2010, should give some idea of what you can expect. Newfoundland has fog, but most yachts can handle the situation using good gear and technique.

Tags
fog, newfoundland