Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2011, 10:48   #1

Six Day BVI Itinerary . . . with Kids

Hey all,

6 day charter out of the west end. Never done the BVI before, but looking for spots that are good spots with kids (8/10/16).

Bath's, Caves at Norman and Bitter End are what I've heard from friends, which I think gets us 3 days...what about coming back?

Thanks in advance,

C.
Strategery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 11:48   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: 6 Day BVI Itinerary - w kids

The kids will probably enjoy some beach-combing time away from the crowds. The Baths and Savannah Bay on Virgin Gorda are great for kids. If you can swing up to Anegada, the beaches there are amazing.
Old 15-05-2011, 23:42   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Six Day BVI Itinerary . . . with Kids

Day 1 - you won't be leaving early since you are checking out your boat, so Norman Island and the Bight is a good destination. It is just a short sail from Tortola and you can pick up a mooring ball and dinghy over to the Caves with the kids, then there is the beach at Pirate's.
Day 2 - sail up the sound to Cooper Island. Both the snorkeling at Cistern Point and the beach is great for relaxing and letting the kids roam free.
Day 3 - Get to the Baths early as the mooring balls often fill up and anchoring is prohibited. The Baths can keep kids occupied all day, so do plan on spending much of it there. Subsequenty either head into the docks at Spanish Town, or use the moorings outside (the get rolly in any kind of swell) or shoot up into the North Sound of Virgin Gorda
I just realized that you might want to post your boat type (is it fast) and willingness to motor. Also, do you want anchorages with restaurants or prefer to cook yourself?
Old 16-05-2011, 08:26   #4

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strategery View Post
Bath's, Caves at Norman and Bitter End are what I've heard from friends, which I think gets us 3 days...what about coming back?
Your kids might like Leverick better than BEYC. If the like beaches particularly there is a nice anchorage off Prickly Pear inside North Sound instead.

If they like snorkeling include Treasure Caves outside the Bight on Norman and at least one stop at the Dogs.

Marina Cay is a good stop for everyone.

White Bay on JVD has some good stuff for kids down toward the West end of the beach.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 05:19   #5

This is great. Thanks!

Cat fairly fast...happy to motor.
Old 17-05-2011, 05:57   #6

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest

As I recall, the baths can be tricky if there's a swell, and you have to swim ashore and then back to the dingy mooring, but certainly worth the shot.

For swimming and sunning I've always like the beach at Cane Garden Bay.
Old 18-05-2011, 10:22   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 57

While I always hesitate to point people to other forums, in this case I'd recommend that you visit the Traveltalk Online BVI Forums, there is a wealth of information available there and if you'd posted the same question there the thread would have about 20 recommendations (all different) so far.
With the BVI it really does boil down to being flexible - hangovers, swell, weather, favorite spots and other factors virtually guarantee that any itinerary you have won't survive contact with the Islands.
In your case, particularly if there is little swell and little wind, I'd change the itinerary and go clockwise (not usually recommended as the upwind legs are not in the protected Sir Francis Drake Channel):
West end to Great Harbor, JVD - either dinghy or cab to White Bay (great beach and Painkillers), spend the night and have dinner at Corsair's or Foxy's.
Sail to Sandy Cay or Sandy Spit for a half-day of beach excess, then into Cane Garden Bay for the night.
Then from there either aaaaall the way to Anegada (long haul, motorsail to gain time) or to Monkey Point for snorkeling amid the fish and then to either Marina Cay or Trellis Bay for the night.
Anegada would be for beach and snorkeling on the north shore, then to the North Sound the next night
From Marina Cay/Trellis to the North Sound - either anchor off Prickly Pear or mooring balls next to the Sand Lot beach for a quiet secluded night aboard, or at Leverick or Saba Rock for dinner ashore that night.
From there to The Baths for several hours and thence to Cooper Island for the night (take a mooring ball close inshore to avoid swell).
Finally from there to Norman Island / The Bight - either snorkeling the Caves or the Pelicans and dinner at Pirate's or (without kids) at the Willie T's
From there home.

p.s. The link to TTOL is Traveltalkonline: Viewing forum: British Virgin Islands
Old 18-05-2011, 10:45   #8

Boat: 34' Irwin Citation "Argo"

I went for ten days last summer and found there were no bad spots. Anegada had the most beautiful beach but was a 3 hour sail.
slackintide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 11:00   #9

Very cool all. Thanks for the advice.

C.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:23   #10

I just searched for charters with kids and ran across your post. We are taking our 10 and 11 girls with us for their first trip 7/28-8/4/16. This is our 6th trip down with mooring but never with kids. Our last trip we stayed at Saba and hiked that thatch next to it for a whole day was a blast. I think kids would be in heaven just chasing sea life and lizards. I read other forums and making them part of the crew is big on my list. I'm going to make shirts. If we find anything extra fun and kid friendly will post while there!
Atbgdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 16:37   #11

To access the baths we always get a dock space at Leverick Bay rent a Safari truck and drive there. The drive is an adventure in it self with lots to look at and the steepest roads you have ever seen. Stop at Hog Heaven for lunch and a great view on the way. Dock space at Leverick is about the same price as a mooring ball. Nick at Leverick will arrange for a truck to be there when you arrive.
jcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 17:11   #12

Boat: Beneteau 393

If it works into your schedule, go to Leverick Bay....

The Jumbies Beach Bar famous Beach BBQ with Moko Jumbies and live music with the Elvis White Band every Friday.

Good food and a great fun for kids of all ages!!
Mark Stillwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 19:35   #13

Just noticed this question was from 2011, hope they had a good trip.
jcarr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kids, bvi, British Virgin Islands