Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2013, 22:44   #46

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
A thread titled "Security"....who'd thunk guns wouln't be brought up?

I don't disagree that guns are a bad idea in many places...didn't advocate guns....didn't disagree they have their place.

Just threw out my thoughts as a trained security officer because many people don't truly understand security...what it is, how to attain it. As I said...usually no right answer because people aren't willing to go the full measure to attain it in many cases.

Do a lot of things in some places and you'll be in a crap hole place...some places not...you'll just be beheaded.
Oh that's right...guns make people feel secure
I'll give it 10-20 more posts before we hear about flare guns being converted...again
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 01:54   #47
SVI

Boat: FP Salina 48 / owner / evolution

Put adjustable motion detectors (car alarm, cheap and reliable) in cockpit, link them to activate deck lights and siren (hailer on the mast) - most of the buggers will run away. Make a switch with blinking LED when all of the is on - so you don't trigger it yourself going out.

On the hatches, you can add one interior steel bar (can be screwn on or off from inside) to prevent intruders.
SVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 03:29   #48

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Oh that's right...guns make people feel secure
I'll give it 10-20 more posts before we hear about flare guns being converted...again
If you read my posts you would see I am not pushing guns.

You seem to be targeting me in these posts.

I don't need guns aboard because outwitting opponents (like in these threads) is too easy....

PS....I have an extra 25mm flare gun for sale....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 04:38   #49
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Security

Funny thing is.. the few times I have been boarded without permission and woken up to pounding on my hatchway the buga's have been in a uniform of some kind...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 05:57   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Funny thing is.. the few times I have been boarded without permission and woken up to pounding on my hatchway the buga's have been in a uniform of some kind...
Same with me...last 3 uninvited guests has their own guns, bulletproof vests and BIG badges....

It was broad daylight and I was underway....
Old 29-07-2013, 06:00   #51

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

You guys must be sailing the wrong places! I get saluted with horns sound off from CG!

Mauritz
Old 29-07-2013, 06:07   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
You guys must be sailing the wrong places! I get saluted with horns sound off from CG!

Mauritz
It WAS the USCG!!!!!
Old 29-07-2013, 06:09   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Was just thinking that, like the fire service trying to get you out as the boat next door burns to the waterline.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 06:42   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrs1958 View Post
I am going to get pepper spray and a stun gun which should help. I hate the idea of being defenseless!
And yet once again, I have to say that there are some countries where these items are regulated just as strictly as guns are. There are places where getting caught with a stun gun will land you in prison just as quickly, and for just as long, as getting caught with a machine gun.

Heck! There are states in the USA where carrying a stun gun can get you sent to jail!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 07:00   #55
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Was just thinking that, like the fire service trying to get you out as the boat next door burns to the waterline.

Pete
Mine was usually Customs... think it was the long hair and wild eye's.... along with the beard and Pakhol....

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 29-07-2013, 07:04   #56

Boat: 2012 Leopard 44

Get yourself the biggest Texas you can find and fly it prominently for all to see. That should do the trick as everyone around the world knows that we Texans carry and best be nice to us !
BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 07:16   #57

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Where is our flag from?

10 points for a correct answer in under a minute?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-59519057.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	64799  

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 07:21   #58
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKitty View Post
Get yourself the biggest Texas you can find and fly it prominently for all to see. That should do the trick as everyone around the world knows that we Texans carry and best be nice to us !
Yeah.... and its still recovering from Bush....

Old 29-07-2013, 07:35   #59
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Heck! There are states in the USA where carrying a stun gun can get you sent to jail!
There are countries where it is illegal to be raped and the raped victim is thrown in jail!

At some point you have to draw the line. It is very simple, nobody harms my wife, my guests, myself nor my boat. Every decent human being will respect that without need to being told this nor needing further explanations; it means that if one does cross the line, I don't care at all about their well being and will use whatever is needed to repell them.

I'm tempted to post the story about sheep and wolves and sheepdogs which pretty much explains why there are always tensions between different sides on the issue. I'll try to limit it to explaining that there will always be wolves around but that sheepdog, even though they have and display the same weapons as the wolves, will never hurt the sheep but will confront and stop the wolf or die trying to. Do not mistake the sheepdog for a wolf.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 08:17   #60

Boat: Manta 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

There are countries where it is illegal to be raped and the raped victim is thrown in jail!

At some point you have to draw the line. It is very simple, nobody harms my wife, my guests, myself nor my boat. Every decent human being will respect that without need to being told this nor needing further explanations; it means that if one does cross the line, I don't care at all about their well being and will use whatever is needed to repell them.

I'm tempted to post the story about sheep and wolves and sheepdogs which pretty much explains why there are always tensions between different sides on the issue. I'll try to limit it to explaining that there will always be wolves around but that sheepdog, even though they have and display the same weapons as the wolves, will never hurt the sheep but will confront and stop the wolf or die trying to. Do not mistake the sheepdog for a wolf.
I come from northern Minnesota where we are thick with wolves, and there is not a sheep dog in the world that can kill one wolf and they hunt in packs, which is more effective. So die trying will be the result. Wolves kill to exist and do not hesitate, dogs are a regular diet of wolves around cabins. Dogs eat from a bowl! Not the best analogy. Rich
bahamarich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
security