Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2009, 09:36   #1
Marine Service Provider

NJ - Lavallette to Manasquan Inlet

Looking to do the final stretch to my new home, maybe Sunday. Currently tied up in Lavallette and need to move to Highlands.

Based on the guidebooks and my experience doing some diving in this area, I'm guessing this is the plan?

Aim to be at the Mantaloking bridge about an hour or so before high slack time at the Route 35 bridge. That way I'm going into the tide, which will make it easier to hold my position.

And that way, by the time I get through the last bridge at the inlet, even if I have to wait a little for some of the bridges, it should still be no more than about an hour or so after slack tide.

Or should I go by the Riviera Beach tide, which is about the same distance from the inlet as Mantaloking?
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2009, 10:21   #2

Boat: Islander Freeport 41, AEGEA
Manasquan should be little difficulty. The Point Pleasant Canal is a bigger problem. The tide runs through it at a fierce clip. Slack tide at the Canal would be a better plan.

The ICW between Lavalette and the PP Canal is twisty and shallow. Make sure you pay attention to the markers. There are some private markers that can be confusing.

Dick Pluta
AEGEA
Dick Pluta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 13:48   #3
Marine Service Provider

Thanks.

Well, based on how bad I've heard the canal is, and high slack being late afternoon and really early in the morning, I decided to just head South and go back out Barnegat.

Just out of curiosity, though, which table would you use use for the canal?
I looked on Salt Water tides and see Beaverdam Creek, and the Route 35 bridge.

The canal is between those 2 locations, but not listed. Or would you just guestimate it as falling in between the other 2 times?
Old 02-06-2009, 16:02   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Be sure to take the current at the Point Pleasant Canal seriously. I'd call the two bridges in advance to be sure they are advised of your approach and I would call the New Jersey State Police at 732-899-5050 and ask to be connected to the Point Pleasant Marine Police station. They will look out their window and confirm the current conditions. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 18:07   #5
Marine Service Provider

Thanks CaptForce. That's pretty much what others were saying, and why I decided going back out Barnegat was a better idea.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:22   #6

Boat: Islander Freeport 41, AEGEA
Barnegat isn't exactly a piece of cake, either. If you get the canal at or near slack tide it's the better choice. Once you're through the canal the Point Pleasant inlet is a good one. The Manasquan tide station should be pretty close but there others closer. http://www.sailwx.info/tides/tidemap.phtml?location=469

If you still want to do Barnegat try to follow a local boat and get well offshore before you head north. The shoals on either side shift constantly and extend well off.

Dick Pluta
AEGEA
Dick Pluta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 15:04   #7
Marine Service Provider

Yeah, I know Barnegat can be kind of rough, that's the way I came in. Guess I should have been more clear. When I said decided, I meant I already went out Barnegat and up. Thanks for all the suggestions.