Cruisers & Sailing Forums (
-   Atlantic & the Caribbean (
-   -   NJ - Lavallette to Manasquan Inlet (

off-the-grid 29-05-2009 09:36

NJ - Lavallette to Manasquan Inlet
Looking to do the final stretch to my new home, maybe Sunday. Currently tied up in Lavallette and need to move to Highlands.

Based on the guidebooks and my experience doing some diving in this area, I'm guessing this is the plan?

Aim to be at the Mantaloking bridge about an hour or so before high slack time at the Route 35 bridge. That way I'm going into the tide, which will make it easier to hold my position.

And that way, by the time I get through the last bridge at the inlet, even if I have to wait a little for some of the bridges, it should still be no more than about an hour or so after slack tide.

Or should I go by the Riviera Beach tide, which is about the same distance from the inlet as Mantaloking?

Dick Pluta 30-05-2009 10:21

Manasquan should be little difficulty. The Point Pleasant Canal is a bigger problem. The tide runs through it at a fierce clip. Slack tide at the Canal would be a better plan.

The ICW between Lavalette and the PP Canal is twisty and shallow. Make sure you pay attention to the markers. There are some private markers that can be confusing.

Dick Pluta

off-the-grid 02-06-2009 13:48


Well, based on how bad I've heard the canal is, and high slack being late afternoon and really early in the morning, I decided to just head South and go back out Barnegat.

Just out of curiosity, though, which table would you use use for the canal?
I looked on Salt Water tides and see Beaverdam Creek, and the Route 35 bridge.

The canal is between those 2 locations, but not listed. Or would you just guestimate it as falling in between the other 2 times?

Hudson Force 02-06-2009 16:02

Be sure to take the current at the Point Pleasant Canal seriously. I'd call the two bridges in advance to be sure they are advised of your approach and I would call the New Jersey State Police at 732-899-5050 and ask to be connected to the Point Pleasant Marine Police station. They will look out their window and confirm the current conditions. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

off-the-grid 02-06-2009 18:07

Thanks CaptForce. That's pretty much what others were saying, and why I decided going back out Barnegat was a better idea.

Dick Pluta 03-06-2009 01:22

Barnegat isn't exactly a piece of cake, either. If you get the canal at or near slack tide it's the better choice. Once you're through the canal the Point Pleasant inlet is a good one. The Manasquan tide station should be pretty close but there others closer.

If you still want to do Barnegat try to follow a local boat and get well offshore before you head north. The shoals on either side shift constantly and extend well off.

Dick Pluta

off-the-grid 07-06-2009 15:04

Yeah, I know Barnegat can be kind of rough, that's the way I came in. Guess I should have been more clear. When I said decided, I meant I already went out Barnegat and up. Thanks for all the suggestions.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:15.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.