Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2009, 09:57   #1

Miami, Biscayne Bay Locals ?

i want to anchor here: http://www.mapquest.com/maps?address=301+North+Biscayne+Boulevard+Miami%2C +Florida+33132 in that little part between bicentennial park and the americanairlines arena for a few days in early march. best chart i found was http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/11465.shtml .
Does that chart say thats part of the channel?

does anybody know if that anchorage on the east side of Watson Island is a safe place to leave a boat for a couple days?

thanks, cliff.
clifflindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 10:34   #2

ive discovered that my desire is to anchor or tie off at the FEC slip. FEC Surface Pollution , you guys think it might smell bad?
Old 13-01-2009, 11:01   #3

Boat: Boatless
I live in Coconut Grove which is at the top of Biscayne Bay and 3-4 miles south of where you intended to anchor. My boat is presently out in the free public anchorage off Dinner Key Marine in Coconut Grove. This gives excellent access to shops, fuel and restaurants. The Coconut Grove Sailing Club offers guest moorings for $30/day up to 40 ft which is a much safer place to leave the boat if you are going to be away.

However, cruisers in the anchorage tend to take care of each other and watch each other's boats. Holding ok but not great in anything over 30 knots...most people have 2 anchors down

www.CGSC.org

Phil
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 13:31   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Cliff--

The cove you've idicated on your MapQuaet Map is actually the site of the Bayside Marine aka Miamarina (Miami Marinas ). Transient slips are available there at $2.50 per foot per night but there is nowhere to anchor. If you want to stay on the hook you'll need to go down to the Dinner Key Marina as others have suggested. An alternative would be an anchorage between Star Island and Miami Beach on the northeast side of the Causeway, but you won;t be able to stay long and I don't know how wise it might be to leave a yacht unattended in that area (although we haven't been there for some time).

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 15:50   #5

my goal is to have my boat as close to bicentennial park as possible for langerado. with google earth i can see what looks like a mooring feild or an anchorage on the east coast of watson island, does anybody know what thats about? i will keep dinner key in mind, thankyou.
Old 14-01-2009, 07:35   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Cliff--

You're right. There is a mooring field off the Miami YC on the northeast side of Watson Island, just west of Palm Island. I didn't think of that as it's too skinney for us but if your draft isn't too great, it might work for you. You should be able to get more information from the Club at (305) 358-7402.

Regards,

svHyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 09:18   #7

word

does one need to make special arrangements to pass through the port of miami?
Old 19-01-2009, 12:26   #8

Anchoring off the miami yacht club

There is plenty of room to anchor between the Miami Yacht Club and Miami Beach. If you're in Miami Beach waters there is a formal limit of 7 days but they are very liberal in extending it for repairs, health reasons or weather.
I would not leave a boat at anchor there unattended. If you do need to leave the boat for a few days you could get a mooring at Crandon Park or Coconut Grove.
aquavit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 19:26   #9

Boat: s/v Dharma and s/v This End Up!
Well......

Cliff,

I just moored behind Watson Island for the first time last week after bringing my new boat down. I put down a three anchor mooring as the bottom there is loose sand and it has been fine. The average depth there is about 7ft so your draft will make a difference and dinghy docking is $30 a week plus $15 a day for the Miami yacht club. Where are you coming from? You may be able to skip the port and just come in through Gov. cut or the ICW. Shoot me a PM and we can help you out, me and some other boat folk out here are going to langerado also ....so stop by and have a beer See ya in March.
NautiHippie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
miami