Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2016, 17:19   #1

Marina recommendation for a few months Norfolk

We are finally on our way south from Annapolis, but we haven't tied up all the loose ends back in Houston, so we're going to park the boat in Norfolk and leave it until maybe December or January. Need a recommendation for a marina in the Norfolk area, we have a 6 foot draft, the boat is 47' long with 14.5 foot beam. 52' feet if you count the davits. Doesn't have to be fancy, we won't be here so not much use in paying extra for that, might consider floating docks if the price is right! Thanks.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 17:51   #2

Re: Marina recommendation for a few months Norfolk

Oh and something reasonably close to things, we'll be without car until we can get back to Annapolis to pick it up!
Old 04-10-2016, 01:46   #3

Boat: Sadler Starlight 39 - Kathleen Love

We had good service at Cobbs Marina in Little Creek a few years ago.
Family run.
Large supermarket near and not far from the airport.
Gillian Mulcahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:47   #4

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

I'll second that on Cobb's Marina. Grocery store just down the road, near the airport, a couple of marine stores nearby as well. Hauled my boats there for years. If you are retired Military, Little Creek Navy Base marina is another good one.

Rebel Marine in Willoughby Bay is also a nice marina, my old stomping grounds. Clean and well managed, although a little remote from shopping and the airport. Good access to the Elizabeth River and Ches. Bay (However, I haven't been there in nearly 9 years so things may have changed).

Try checking them out on Active Captain. Both Cobb's and Rebel still seem be well liked.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:50   #5

Boat: Beneteau 46

One more vote for Cobb's. I just trucked a boat in there and launched a week ago (good timing with the hurricane..). The service was great, the new docks are very nice and the prices are the best I have seen for launching and hauling (at least compared to the midwest).

Nice people, nice, safe marina.
Good luck.
newtonsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:14   #6

Boat: Pearson 35

Another vote for Cobb's Marina. I have been doing business with them for over 17 years and have had nothing but good experiences with them.
ravencapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:14   #7

Boat: 1984 Cal 31

Not in Norfolk, but Wormley Creek in Yorktown is inexpensive, very friendly, and could definitely accommodate your boat. Check Active Captain - great reviews...

Tankersteve
tankersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:49   #8

Boat: Leopard 40

We use the Hampton city docks. If all you need is a dock and no work they are good
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:51   #9

From 2005-2008 I docked and lived in Salt Ponds Marina Resort in Hampton. I believe Cindy was the dockmaster and everyone there was amazing. At the time the prices were very reasonable based on my limited knowledge. I was paying just under $200/mo. for a 32 foot slip. This was of course with an annual contract and electric was not included. I think electric was $0.10/kwh. They strongly supported liveaboards with no fee and free mail service because they felt (and rightfully so) that liveaboards provide a necessary and free security service. No obligation or anything. Just good people being good people. I would hope that nothing has changed for the worse and if that's the case then I strongly recommend this marina.

Also had floating docks, clean bath house, laundry facility, and amazing scenery for its location.

I'm a novice and this is one of only two places I've ever docked (currently "docked" in a house in Baltimore City). I felt it was worth the cost to feel so secure and in such a peacful and friendly community.

There is/was a great dive bar about a mile down the road called The Brass Lantern. Had $0.25 wings on Monday nights. The wing sauce is the best I've ever had and was made from scratch by the bar owner from his home garden.

Sorry to go off on tangents. Brings up a lot of fond memories. Check 'em out.
Luckyknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:27   #10

Boat: Bristol 47.7 1985

Little Creek marinas or Salt Ponds are best bets in our experience.
evbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:33   #11

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

TIDEWATER MARINA is another good one with amenities close by. We have used it a few times and have been pleased. Well protected and on the intercostal.
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 14:31   #12

Boat: Neel 45 trimaran,and 50’ steel trawler

Also stayed at Salt Ponds for 9 months early this year,,cheapest price I could find on east cost with secure slip and personnel attention,it really felt like a community atmosphere.,enterprise car rental have a pick up and drop off service for the marina .
Galues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:55   #13

yep little creek is it there are 4 + marinas there take your pick airport 10 mins away
roberthowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:21   #14

Hey everyone thanks for your recommendations! I spent a couple of days calling various marinas and we wound up at Cobbs. They were affordable had room and enough draft for us. More amenities would be nice, but we won't be here most of the time anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
men