Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Marinas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2016, 08:14   #1

Need marina recommendation in Annapolis for 2-3 months

We are about to close on a 47' ketch, an Olympic Adventure named Gromit. The boat is in Annapolis but we live in Houston and I'm looking to take it south (maybe to Georgia) before winter sets in. Our broker found a marina for us but it is $825/month which seems kind of pricey (by Houston standards, is this reasonable for this area?) We need something close enough to civilization to make it easy to get her ready for our journey down the ICW.

Also, any recommendations on marinas / boatyards in Georgia are welcome too! Not sure yet what we'll want to work on (I'm sure we'll develop a list as we sail south), but she for sure needs to be hauled and fresh bottom paint.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:26   #2

Boat: Hylas 49
Re: Need marina recommendation in Annapolis for 2-3 months

Head north about 25 miles to the Middle River area near BWI. Should be cheaper and more convenient. Search for marinas near Baltimore.
TheOffice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:00   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
Head north about 25 miles to the Middle River area near BWI. Should be cheaper and more convenient. Search for marinas near Baltimore.
Thanks for the recommendation, I guess I should also note that it is currently at Holiday Point Marina on South River, just launched yesterday and we'll have limited time after the sea trial to relocate it, maybe an hour or two? (due to having no open slips).
Old 02-08-2016, 10:07   #4

I'm also on South River.
Might check out Herrington Harbor North - about 10 miles south, large full service yard with a large West Marine on-site. Less conveninet to BWI though. Only other options on South River are Liberty and Pier 7 unless you belong to a club that has reciprocity with Selby Bay YC. Lots of places in Eastport. A 50 foot slip will be hard to come by. A mooring ball in Annapolis is about $25 a night! You might call the harbormaster and see if they will give you a monthly rate.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:09   #5

I'm also on South River.
Might check out Herrington Harbor North - about 10 miles south, large full service yard with a large West Marine on-site. Less conveninet to BWI though. Only other options on South River are Liberty and Pier 7 unless you belong to a club that has reciprocity with Selby Bay YC. Lots of places in Eastport. A 50 foot slip will be hard to come by. A mooring ball in Annapolis is about $25 a night! You might call the harbormaster and see if they will give you a monthly rate.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:19   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
I'm also on South River.
Liberty marina is the one that is $825/month! I'll give the others a call, thanks.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:30   #7

Boat: Catalina 34MKII

Wow, $825 a month for a 47' ketch. Up here in the great white north of Michigan that is a bargain. Transient for a 35' boat runs $40-45 a day or $1200 to $1350 a month. Monthly is almost unheard of. Seasonal, five months, if you can find it, runs $3000 to $4000.
Old 02-08-2016, 15:45   #8

Boat: Alberg #0

Come on up to Anchorage marina in baltimore! It's less than half what you were quoted and next door to West Marine, Ace Hardware and a Safeway with lot's of great places to eat.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
pickpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:58   #9
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

I think $825/month for a 50' slip on short term lease is reasonable if nice floating dock and unlimited 50A electricity.

I guess I live too close to NYC.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:33   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingunity View Post
We are about to close on a 47' ketch, an Olympic Adventure named Gromit. The boat is in Annapolis but we live in Houston and I'm looking to take it south (maybe to Georgia) before winter sets in. Our broker found a marina for us but it is $825/month which seems kind of pricey (by Houston standards, is this reasonable for this area?) We need something close enough to civilization to make it easy to get her ready for our journey down the ICW.

Also, any recommendations on marinas / boatyards in Georgia are welcome too! Not sure yet what we'll want to work on (I'm sure we'll develop a list as we sail south), but she for sure needs to be hauled and fresh bottom paint.
Annapolis can be expensive. In Savannah,might try Lee Shore Marina on Turner Creek. Had boat there last year @ $9.00 per foot.
vinyod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:41   #11

You could try Solomons Island...about 30nm south. Calvert Marina is $15/foot/month...little bit of a hike if you are without a car. There are 4 other marinas that are relatively close to everything - Spring Cove, Zahnisers, Beacon, and Harbor Island. Spring cove and Zahnisers are nicest facilities, Beacon is cheapest (I'm there).
SV Coquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:45   #12

grab a mooring on Back Creek.
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:47   #13

Consider Hartge's Yacht Harbor in Galesville (West River is one River South of your present location.). Get the bottom done now, before you head south. They even have summer "special" for bottom Painting. Then store boat on hard until you are ready to go. Full service yard. Why pay for dockage if you are not here?
bluewaterbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:56   #14

Boat: Tayana Mariner 36

Check craigslist for a private slip rental on Back, Spa, or one of the many creeks off the Severn. Many owners may not have their boat at home during the period that you have in mind.
bauer965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 13:13   #15
bmz

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

You can't beat Baltimore: https://baltimore.craigslist.org/mas/5653255132.html
bmz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis, men