Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2012, 10:36   #16

Re: Looking for advice. Sailing New York to Key West

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackay View Post
Quote:
I'd say Norfolk to Morehead City on the ICW at the least. You don't need Cape Hatteras singlehanded pretty much any time of year.

The waterway is slow and safe. You get to sleep nights. You won't get run down by a container ship in your sleep. And you won't founder on the shoals off Hatteras. (It's called the Graveyard of the Atlantic for a reason!)
I definitely agree with that, but with a draft of 6'6" and 65' tall the ICW scares me more.
You got the boat with the legs for it. The OP doesn't. The 6'6" can make things tense, but he doesn't have that worry. The 65' isn't really a problem.

LH44 Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 10:44   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 44cc

Offshore singlehanded under ANY conditions can be very taxing. Fatigue ends up being your worst enemy and amplifies the potential for mistakes.
If you're in a hurry then don't take a trip by sailboat. It just doesn't work out that way. Everyone with any experience will tell you that if you're trying to keep some sort of schedule then you're almost guaranteed to have problems and make mistakes. As much as I dislike power boats if you must keep a schedule then give up sailing and buy one.
Know that Hurricane season can and does last until November. For where you are headed it seems like when one does blow up that late it's gonna be a real stinker. Once Hurricane season is over then you've got the Nor' easters to deal with. These can really get ugly as they'll blow up some super steep/rough stuff when they oppose the Gulf Stream. While not as scary as the steep frequent waves of the Gulf, the rollers capped with waves that occur in the gulf stream are impressive and a force to be reckoned with.
Do your self a favor. DO NOT try to keep to some schedule. There are tons of great places along the eastern coast to stop and enjoy for a day or two. Take your time. Key West will still be there when you do finally arrive and remember. It's not about the destination, it's about the journey.... my 2 cents fwiw.....
NCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 11:23   #18

Boat: In between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by LH44 Anne View Post
You got the boat with the legs for it. The OP doesn't. The 6'6" can make things tense, but he doesn't have that worry. The 65' isn't really a problem.
Correct. The P-300 has a 35 foot mast and 3.5 cut-away full keel. I took her her out around atlantic beach the other weekend andshe handles pretty well.She does sail on a heel of 15-20 degrees, but she handled the waves very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCountry View Post
Do your self a favor. DO NOT try to keep to some schedule. There are tons of great places along the eastern coast to stop and enjoy for a day or two. Take your time. Key West will still be there when you do finally arrive and remember. It's not about the destination, it's about the journey.... my 2 cents fwiw.....
Great advice NCountry Especially the offshore tips. I'm not really don't have a schedule per se. Just a period of the year I would like to sail back by. Since I got my ship, I have replaced all her running rigging with the largest seize I can fit and I had all her sails restitched. I am looking to replace the standing rigging with the next size up after the Around Long Island Race. The ALIR will be the main test/shakedown for both me and Sailor's Soul prior leaving for warmer waters.
SailingwithSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 12:27   #19

I agree with NCountry
Offshore East Coast is not the Ocean - it is the I95 for ships - at least for 100 miles or so.
Insurance have pushed Hurricane Season out to November 15th due to the propensity of late season hurricanes.
I recently did Montauk to Atlantic City - there were ships anchored off New York Harbor - about 80 miles from NYC. - that was confusing for a bit...

I would run down close to the coast - there are numerous potential inlets with great marinas - and plenty to see and do. At very least just to sleep.
Such as Atlantic City and many others along the Jersey shore. Then jump across to Rudee Inlet, Virginia Beach.
From there enter Cape Hatteras at Oregan Inlet. Can anchor anywhere. cross inside to Beaufort, NC.
From there can then make any length hops on the outside or inside depending on your desire, and the weather...
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 12:58   #20

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

If you are East of the stream ducking in is not an option! Check the distance. The Bahamas Cruising permit for your boat is $300.00
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 13:16   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
If you are East of the stream ducking in is not an option! Check the distance. The Bahamas Cruising permit for your boat is $300.00

Is the $300 for some monthly dockage? The website says the following:

"Boating to The Bahamas
Free Cruising Permit
Dock your vessel at Old Bahama Bay for a minimum of 30 days and we will reimburse you for your Bahamas Cruising Permit.
Permit includes fishing permit, departure tax for up to 3 people and a 2nd re-entry within a 90 day period.
Travel Window: March 22 - December 31, 2012
Advance reservations required with pre-payment."

Bahamas Marina | Bahamas Slips & Dockage | Marina Rates
Old 23-04-2012, 14:24   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Islander 28

You are probably looking at somewhere north of a boat buck for monthly dockage at West End
DrivinSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 15:15   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingwithSoul View Post

"Boating to The Bahamas
Free Cruising Permit
Dock your vessel at Old Bahama Bay for a minimum of 30 days and we will reimburse you for your Bahamas Cruising Permit.
Permit includes fishing permit, departure tax for up to 3 people and a 2nd re-entry within a 90 day period.

Free ? In the Bahamas?If thats the case I will do the jewish thing and have two...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 15:23   #24

Boat: Mason 43

Get yourself Waterway Guides, and join Active Captain. There is not a single inlet between Norfolk and Morehead City that should be attempted by anyone without a great deal of local knowledge and experience. Atlantic coast inlets are not to be taken lightly but especially the NC coast. It cost $300 to clear into the Bahamas whether for a night or a year.
jmackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 03:53   #25

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

For boats under 35 feet the Bahamas cruising permit is $150.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 04:32   #26
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

SWS,

Lots of good advice in this thread.

Here's another consideration. I believe you need to re-think your expectation of averaging 6.5-7 knots for the trip. The Hull Speed for a boat with your waterline length is 6.5 knots. For passage planning, using 75% of Hull Speed is usually a reasonable estimate. That would be 4.8 knots, and would require some motor-sailing in light conditions, and also assumes you don't have to heave-to for a day or two in a big blow.

Single-handing offshore down the East Coast will be very challenging. If you haven't done a significant amount of long-range singlehanding to develop a routine that works for you, and haven't yet proven your endurance capabilities, I think it would be a grave mistake to make this your first effort.

Take your time. Take the ICW.

p.s. September 10th is the climatological peak of the Atlantic hurricane season. Most folks wait until the last half of October before venturing south of Cape Hatteras.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hurricane frequency.gif
Views:	270
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	40318  
Old 24-04-2012, 05:51   #27

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Old Bahama Bay is $2.99/ft. Plus elec, plus water. Not a cheap spot and absolutely nothing close by
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 06:51   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackay View Post
Get yourself Waterway Guides, and join Active Captain. [U]There is not a single inlet between Norfolk and Morehead City that should be attempted by anyone without a great deal of local knowledge and experience.
Thanks jmackey, I'll look into the waterway guides over the next few weeks. I know inlets can get choppy and may have shallow areas not properly marked. The Atlantic beach inlet near me throws up some large waves. I usually power through it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
SWS,

Lots of good advice in this thread.

Here's another consideration. I believe you need to re-think your expectation of averaging 6.5-7 knots for the trip. The Hull Speed for a boat with your waterline length is 6.5 knots. For passage planning, using 75% of Hull Speed is usually a reasonable estimate. That would be 4.8 knots, and would require some motor-sailing in light conditions, and also assumes you don't have to heave-to for a day or two in a big blow.

Single-handing offshore down the East Coast will be very challenging. If you haven't done a significant amount of long-range singlehanding to develop a routine that works for you, and haven't yet proven your endurance capabilities, I think it would be a grave mistake to make this your first effort.

Take your time. Take the ICW.

p.s. September 10th is the climatological peak of the Atlantic hurricane season. Most folks wait until the last half of October before venturing south of Cape Hatteras.
Great advice and thank you for the chart. I decided last night to move my planned departure for the end of October. I've been gaining ocean experience on the weekends with day trips. I'll work my way up to 2-3 day voyages as the weather improves. My goal will be to be able to sail by hand for 4-5 days without needing to heave to or anchor and rest. At that point I'll feel confident in my endurance to sail straight or do an ocean passage. I'll plan for taking a few ICW legs to rest and recuperate (if needed).

I'm usually doing about 5-6 knots when I sail, but that's with a pretty generous heal with my sails tight, so I guess that 75% of hull speed is reasonable, and more comfortable, with less heel. I'll undoubtedly have to motor into the wind at a few points along the way. One thing about the P-300, they don't sail close very well. Due mainly to the design of the standing rigging. If you run the jib sheet inside the stays, it will chafe on a beam or broad reach. If you run it on the outside, you cannot sail closer than 50-60 degrees. My Genoa fares much better. because of its size I sheet it in tight and can point closer into the the wind than with the jib. Unfortunately, because of the fabric, it's only good for light airs.

I appreciate all the great advice and insight everyone has been offering!

Old 01-05-2012, 15:07   #29

Boat: DUFOUR 12000 CT - 45' - SANS SOUCI

When you get down to the Lower Keys, let me know I may have room on our dock. norman2004@sprynet.com
sanssouci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 15:48   #30

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingwithSoul View Post

"Boating to The Bahamas
Free Cruising Permit

Warning, warning, danger, danger, 40ft *$2.99ft/day *minimum 30 days = $3600.00 a month!,(not including daily water fee and electric surcharge, or $3.25/ft for restaurant frontage), but you get the $300 cruising permit for FREE!
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
key west, sailing, new york