Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2019, 12:30   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Landfall in the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauntress View Post
Yes, I know exactly where you are. Suspect you may know a lad called Jasper, son of Tino, who inspired this whole project. We also fly the ensign of the Royal Cornwall Yacht club, a bit of a conceit.
yes i think i have met him on Gleaner,we are part of that muddy beach crowd of boat builders and liveaboards,notable among the community are luke powell,spike davies,leo goulden of the youtube samson boat project,jess and charlotte with tethira etc
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 12:42   #62

Boat: 1913 Gaff Cutter yacht 28'

Small world. There was something about the tone of your posts which appealed. And yes, along with umpteen others I follow sometimes the resurrection of Tally Ho. And one day, maybe, Sauntress will come home. She likes mud.
Sauntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 12:53   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Small world. There was something about the tone of your posts which appealed. And yes, along with umpteen others I follow sometimes the resurrection of Tally Ho. And one day, maybe, Sauntress will come home. She likes mud.
lots of mud around here!
and if it is the same guy "tino",who owns the lovely green stich and glue carvel gaffer,i had to rescue him the other year when he got stuck between tides here in the creek.
very nice old gent who gave me a lovely bottle of port for my trouble
Old 24-11-2019, 13:07   #64

No, this Tino spends his time at the end of our bowsprit or balancing on the boom. He is a super yacht skipper playing aboard Sauntress. A very good man to have aboard.nice gesture the bottle of port all the same. I
Old 24-11-2019, 13:51   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
No, this Tino spends his time at the end of our bowsprit or balancing on the boom. He is a super yacht skipper playing aboard Sauntress. A very good man to have aboard.nice gesture the bottle of port all the same. I
better keep him well fed and with plenty of grog!
are you guys hand steering or have an auto pilot?
Old 24-11-2019, 13:57   #66

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

This is fun. Do you know Guy & Mary aboard Morula? I think they swallowed the hook a decade or so ago. They were based out of a marina between Falmouth and Penryn.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 14:12   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
This is fun. Do you know Guy & Mary aboard Morula? I think they swallowed the hook a decade or so ago. They were based out of a marina between Falmouth and Penryn.

Greg
is guy uk/aussie and mary asian?
Old 24-11-2019, 14:21   #68

No, very English. They had a Bowman 40 which they let the factory use for show at the Southhampton boat shows. They lived in St. Austell IIRC. Need to get back in touch with them.

Greg
Old 24-11-2019, 14:23   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
better keep him well fed and with plenty of grog!
are you guys hand steering or have an auto pilot?
Wind vane. Tino came the first leg to Vigo. Sent his godson for Vigo to Gomera and we pressed on. 850 nm plus gale plus, plus.......all the usual ingredients.

GROG Ashore, with a vengeance
Old 24-11-2019, 14:38   #70
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
No, very English. They had a Bowman 40 which they let the factory use for show at the Southhampton boat shows. They lived in St. Austell IIRC. Need to get back in touch with them.

Greg
no the only cruising couple i know who have a bowman 40 in falmouth are "fiddlers green"? ann hammick and her partner who write the atlantic cruising guides
Old 24-11-2019, 15:35   #71

IIRC she knows them, or maybe it is another one of my acquaintances. As I said, they swallowed the hook a while back (10-20 years ago).
Old 29-11-2019, 07:01   #72

Boat: 53 foot wooden ketch

Made the trip to Barbados twice and I found it a relatively easy and friendly port. I did go to Antigua once but clearing in was actually harder. Honestly I feel it is more related to wind and waves than anything else
CaptBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 07:29   #73

We left Mindelo Jan 4. We had arranged to rig a new mainsail from Doyle to be done at Port St Charles. Suggest arranging arrival during daylight. Location meant we would round the north of Barbados; much easier than rounding the south of the island. We arrived late afternoon Jan 17 and anchored just south of the marina. Good anchorage. We went onto the customs dock next day. Good facility but actually, we could have dinghied in as we simple walked to the customs office from the dock. Given your configuration, I'd dinghy in. The marina is designed for mega yachts and is expensive but with full facilities. We needed a slip to get the new sail rigged but anchored out after two days. Excellent holding but a bit of roll in NE trades.

The first class resort with all amenities is available to those yachts at anchor or in the marina. No charge. Easy to dinghy in to the resort's dock.

Later, we went down to Carlyle Bay. Good anchoring there too and super easy to dinghy downtown. Noisy beach bars!

We then headed for Grenada first anchoring St David's Harbor, did customs etc and after a few days moved on to Prickly Bay for good provisioning.
argonauta1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 07:58   #74

Location: NZ but boat on slow circumnavigation currently in NW Spain
Boat: Oyster 435 45ft

Hi I sailed into Antigua English Harbour) nearly 30 years ago with no engine . ( it’s got a bit busier since then) . Now I would favour Falmouth which is a real home for classic yachts. I will be in Cape Verdes on Azura ( Ouster435) in January around the 25th and leaving a week later heading to Antigua as a Landfall. Admiralty bay in Bequia is also a great sail in usually but can be crowded . I sailed a classic Herreshof schooner in and out of there . My pick would be Antigua though and I would agree with Don. That first rum punch at shirley heights on a Sunday is special !
capnigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 09:12   #75
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

Bypass Barbados - there’s just no really decent protected anchorage. We rolled & rolled there.

Absolute easiest clearance in the entire Caribbean (zero officials), combined with a large protected anchorage and lots of marine services (to supply those bits that broke enroute) is south Martinique - either Marin or St Annes.
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, grass, rib