Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2010, 19:37   #1

Boat: Leopard 44' Catamaran
Lake Erie to the Atlantic in a Big Cat

Looking at buying a live aboard 45' Catamaran - which we will sail on the East Coast from NY to keys and Bahama's from Sept thru May - But, we summer on Lake Erie and I am wondering if I can get a fixed 60' mast through the canal system etc. from lake Erie to the Atlantic. Anybody got some experience to lend?

Nick
Nick & LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 14:01   #2

Erie Canal

Well the short answer is that a 60' mast is too tall by a long shot, it needs to be taken down. What you mean the mast is "fixed"?

Most sailboats come up the Hudson and have there masts taken down and lashed to the deck. The the mast is put back up in Tonowanda (Buffalo area).

This is a regular thing for entering the canal and thus the marinas are well equipped and experienced in doing it. Prices run around $6/foot (of mast, not boat), with additional charges for radars, cradles and other add-ons.
Old 11-05-2010, 13:04   #3

Boat: C&C 30 MkII
If you go downbound through the St.Lawrence Seaway you'll be fine with your mast height though it is a much longer route that will take you through the Gulf of St.Lawrence then head south passing New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Maine, etc. The last set of Seaway locks are in Montreal.
Drumroll30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 13:31   #4

What they said.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 13:50   #5

Boat: Leopard 44' Catamaran
This may sound naive, but - I am not sure you can take down a mast on a 44' Cat - and if you can, it doesn't sound easy or cheap or like a good idea. A) am I correct, and if so, B) How much longer (in terms of days) is the St. Lawrence route? Nick
Nick & LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 18:04   #6

Boat: Grady White 283 Release 28'
Would not consider the St. Lawrence route. To get to Lake Erie you have to go up around Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island Island, Gaspe Peninsula and up the St. Lawrence. Cruising from Nova Scotia to Montreal is a long, tough trek through some lonesome areas with few facilities, lots of fog, rough weather and seas. Figure at least a month from New York area, more likely two months. You have to be a seasoned sailor with a tough, seaworthy boat to tackle that route.

You should have no problem taking down the mast on your cat. There are boatyards at each end of the Erie Canal that specialize in taking down and putting up masts and rigs and can do it quickly and inexpensively.I did the Hudson River/Erie Canal/Lake Erie in a 35-foot powerboat and it was a wonderful trip. The Hudson is spectacular, there are delightful villages to stop in, and the Erie Canal is a great experience. I did the Hudson River and full length of the Erie Canal in about two weeks. The Hudson River/Erie Canal route is pretty easy, although the locks can get tiresome and occasionally you can get banged around a little if there is a lot of turbulence.

I found Lake Erie was the least fun part of the cruise -- the shoreline is dull, the ports are OK but not overly charming, and the lake can get pretty surly when the wind picks up.
jsschieff is offline   Reply With Quote