Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2013, 16:04   #46
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: key west to Cuba as U.S. citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
Your assumption that he would rather be sitting on a big steaming hunk of iron is misplaced, which I can safely say since I know him.
But the basic fact is that he doesn't know any different nor have the choice of a large shiney tractor. Fair play that he is happy with his lot , but you'd be surprised what folks can get happy with given the opportunity . And my bet though is that he busted a gut trying to make sure his kids had a choice as to whether to follow in his oxen's hoofprints......and under Castro they probably got some opportunity.

Having said that, he probably has led a better life than if he had been blessed with Uncle Sam's version of Carribean Capitalism - as in Haiti. He has oxen . and food .....and free healthcare .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 23:05   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: Key West to Cuba as U.S. Citizen

May I remind you DOJ that uncle sam will have free healthcare too, as soon as we can pay for it.
Now for the insinuation that Cubans are more upwardly mobile than people in the USVI (were I see most of the Haitians) well, I think we need to leave that topic for another forum.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:09   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
BUncle Sam's version of Carribean Capitalism - as in Haiti.
Huh? What does Haiti have to do with Uncle Sam? It was a French colony, until they gained their independence. Since then the only involvement that Uncle Sam has had is sending millions of dollars in aid down their way, most of which ends up lining the pockets of corrupt bureaucrats, unfortunately, rather than actually helping the people in need.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:39   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Huh? What does Haiti have to do with Uncle Sam? It was a French colony, until they gained their independence. Since then the only involvement that Uncle Sam has had is sending millions of dollars in aid down their way, most of which ends up lining the pockets of corrupt bureaucrats, unfortunately, rather than actually helping the people in need.
Don.t forget the Marines they sent on several occasion, when their government was not to the taste of uncle Sam...
Old 01-02-2013, 07:12   #50
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
But at least the Healthcare will be cheap .

and a good way to hideout from the annual US Flu epidemic.........which kills thousands.

Flu epidemic shows signs of easing, US health officials say - DailyBulletin.com
US Flu kills thousands!? Now I worry! ...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:38   #51
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
May I remind you DOJ that uncle sam will have free healthcare too, as soon as we can pay for it.
Now for the insinuation that Cubans are more upwardly mobile than people in the USVI (were I see most of the Haitians) well, I think we need to leave that topic for another forum.
I suspect that most of the Haitians actually live in Haiti.........
Old 01-02-2013, 09:00   #52
Ita

Boat: CAL 36

I've meet a lot of Cuban yachtmen in Miami, they were really happy about the "opportunity" king Castro and his heirs gave them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	134.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	412.4 KB
ID:	53886  
Old 01-02-2013, 09:04   #53
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
The following link is a bit lefty in tone (they seem to suggest that the USA crapping all over Haiti for 200 years is a bad thing - I make no such judgement, mostly because I don't live there ) but nonetheless the events mentioned over a couple of centuries are pretty much accurate.

http://ccrjustice.org/why-us-owes-ha...y-bill-quigley

Aid money? for sure, but like much Aid that as much about propping up folks who will do the "heavy lifting" to keep the locals in line, as well as to ensure that the economic game is tilted one way (no point playing fair if yer don't have to!). Aid always cheaper than War - and gives better PR .
Old 01-02-2013, 10:52   #54

Okay. Learn something new every day. I was not aware that we had invaded Haiti in 1915 and occupied the country for almost 20 years. Now I know. Thank you.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:33   #55
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

We should really be happy these guys don't have tractors. If everyone in the world had a tractor, car, 2000 sq ft house, IE "lifted out of poverty". We'd need 6 more planets to sustain it all.

Tags
cuba