Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2014, 15:02   #1
Eternal Member
 
monte's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Boat: Lagoon 400
Posts: 3,650
Images: 1
Is it really that HOT in America and the Caribbean?

So many people have air conditioning questions, generators to power the air conditioning questions, where to install the air condition questions etc etc... Is it really That hot there?
In Aus we have pretty hot weather, in the med it can get hot, here in Southern Portugal is pretty hot mid day, 30-35 degrees is a nice sunny day. If you get hot you jump in the water?
So what am I missing considering the last thing I would want on board a yacht would be an air conditioner???
__________________

__________________
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 15:16   #2
Registered User
 
Target9000's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Orleans LA
Boat: 74 Westsail 32
Posts: 1,379
Re: Is it really that HOT in America and the Caribbean?

I think a lot of AC is just people wanting creature comforts. Some places in the United States do warrant it outright though. Here in New Orleans 35c is pretty average, but it comes with near 100% humidity. There is no water to jump into to cool off, the lake is very muddy and not good to swim in. Also a lot of the time the air is stagnant and not much wind. These conditions can be very severe. Heat index last weekend was near 45c.

Places where the water is clean or the humidity is lower, I can see not using AC. Even a swamp box cooler would work great, but in high humidity you have no real way to cool down easily.

That said, we don't have AC on our boat, but then again, we don't live on it yet and don't plan to stay here through the Summer while living aboard.
__________________

__________________
Let your heart tell you where to go, but let your brain tell you how to get there.

Sundowner Sails Again
Target9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 15:30   #3
Registered User

Join Date: May 2009
Boat: Kiri Feeling 446
Posts: 130
Re: Is it really that HOT in America and the Caribbean?

In the Lesser Antilles, on the water, the highs vary from 27C to 32C. Mostly though it is between 29 and 30C.

I have been sailing and living aboard on the Eastern Caribbean since 1995 and would not think of installing AC on board. Very, very few boats have AC. Fans yes. The climate is near ideal.
__________________
SaltyTanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 15:33   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,511
Re: Is it really that HOT in America and the Caribbean?

We didn't need a/c in Southern California, and we don't use our a/c here in the Med. Below deck, the cabin temp is usually the same as water temp and we have plenty of opening windows. The front facing, opening windows in the saloon is huge for ventilation.
__________________
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 15:42   #5
Senior Cruiser
 
DoubleWhisky's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home at Warsaw, Poland, boat in Eastern Med
Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR
Posts: 1,841
Re: Is it really that HOT in America and the Caribbean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The front facing, opening windows in the saloon is huge for ventilation.
This is a great advantage of Oyster arrangement
__________________
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 15:53   #6
Long Range Cruiser
 
MarkJ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Posts: 12,828
Images: 25
Re: Is it really that HOT in America and the Caribbean?

I agree with Salty. Its not too hot in the Caribbean, fine in an anchorage. I don't think I would want to be in a marina.
Its warmed up here in the last three days, but its not unlivable at all. And theres plenty of water beside the boat
__________________
Notes on a Circumnavigation.
OurLifeAtSea.com

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 16:24   #7
Moderator Emeritus
 
Coops's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NSW.Australia
Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Posts: 9,550
Re: Is it really that HOT in America and the Caribbean?

It all depends on what you like. As an ex pom living in Aus, I love the heat, I love the humidity, part of the life. On top of that I detest air conditioning. It has a completely unnatural feel to it and I never have it on in the car, never had it on in the houses that I lived in that had it and have never considered it for a boat at all.

Also, if you have the AC on and then go outside, it feels so much worse than it really is. Big thumbs down for me, noisy, smelly and horrible. Much like myself.

Coops.
__________________
When somebody told me that I was delusional, I almost fell off of my unicorn.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 16:48   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mackay,QLD, Australia
Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat
Posts: 3,651
Images: 3
Re: Is it really that HOT in America and the Caribbean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
It all depends on what you like. As an ex pom living in Aus, I love the heat, I love the humidity, part of the life. On top of that I detest air conditioning. It has a completely unnatural feel to it and I never have it on in the car, never had it on in the houses that I lived in that had it and have never considered it for a boat at all.

Also, if you have the AC on and then go outside, it feels so much worse than it really is. Big thumbs down for me, noisy, smelly and horrible. Much like myself.

Coops.
Living in coastal northern NSW is certainly relatively mild weather and one area you could get by without AC.

monte I expect one could survive in tropical NQ without AC at anchor but would definitely be an issue in a Marina in summer. What areas will you be based in when you get back to Aus.

Cheers
__________________
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 17:31   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Boat: Able 50
Posts: 3,057
Re: Is it really that HOT in America and the Caribbean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
So many people have air conditioning questions, generators to power the air conditioning questions, where to install the air condition questions etc etc... Is it really That hot there?
In Aus we have pretty hot weather, in the med it can get hot, here in Southern Portugal is pretty hot mid day, 30-35 degrees is a nice sunny day. If you get hot you jump in the water?
So what am I missing considering the last thing I would want on board a yacht would be an air conditioner???
Americans like their toys
__________________
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 17:38   #10
Registered User
 
Blue Crab's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hurricane Highway
Boat: Cal 29
Posts: 3,882
pirate Re: Is it really that HOT in America and the Caribbean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
This is a great advantage of Oyster arrangement

My other boat is an Oyster.
__________________
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 18:46   #11
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,378
Re: Is it really that HOT in America and the Caribbean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
I think a lot of AC is just people wanting creature comforts. Some places in the United States do warrant it outright though. Here in New Orleans 35c is pretty average, but it comes with near 100% humidity. There is no water to jump into to cool off, the lake is very muddy and not good to swim in. Also a lot of the time the air is stagnant and not much wind. These conditions can be very severe. Heat index last weekend was near 45c.

Places where the water is clean or the humidity is lower, I can see not using AC. Even a swamp box cooler would work great, but in high humidity you have no real way to cool down easily.

That said, we don't have AC on our boat, but then again, we don't live on it yet and don't plan to stay here through the Summer while living aboard.

Same in north Florida for the last month. Temps every day 34-36 C with 99.9% humidity. Maybe on the water it would be tolerable but on land or in a marina that's more than I can live with comfortably.

I might add another reason to have an air conditioner. Ever anchor in a really buggy harbor. Middle of the night the wind dies and the mosquitos (aka mozzies or skeeters depending on where you live) and their cousins the noseeums come out and start devouring you. So the temp is 35, the humidity is 99% and you have the choice of closing up the hatches and melting or leaving them open and being eaten alive.

Yes I know screens, but they won't keep out the noseeums plus they do cut back the air flow a lot. Nights like that makes air conditioning worth every dime.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 18:55   #12
Moderator Emeritus
 
Coops's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NSW.Australia
Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Posts: 9,550
Re: Is it really that HOT in America and the Caribbean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Living in coastal northern NSW is certainly relatively mild weather and one area you could get by without A.

Cheers
I have cruised in the Whitsundays and have lived in PNG as well. Also lived out west of Sydney for a while, gets really hot out there. Where I am now gets 35 to 40 degrees in summer quite often as it is a tad inland of the coast, but not much. Some folks love the heat, some don't, but getting used to AC all the time tends to mean that you spend less time outside I have found.

Coops.
__________________
When somebody told me that I was delusional, I almost fell off of my unicorn.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 19:12   #13
CF Adviser
 
Pelagic's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Posts: 6,890
Re: Is it really that HOT in America and the Caribbean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Same in north Florida for the last month. Temps every day 34-36 C with 99.9% humidity. Maybe on the water it would be tolerable but on land or in a marina that's more than I can live with comfortably.

I might add another reason to have an air conditioner. Ever anchor in a really buggy harbor. Middle of the night the wind dies and the mosquitos (aka mozzies or skeeters depending on where you live) and their cousins the noseeums come out and start devouring you. So the temp is 35, the humidity is 99% and you have the choice of closing up the hatches and melting or leaving them open and being eaten alive.

Yes I know screens, but they won't keep out the noseeums plus they do cut back the air flow a lot. Nights like that makes air conditioning worth every dime.
+1 Why do some people think that comfort is a bad thing on yachts?
__________________
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 19:18   #14
Registered User
 
Blue Crab's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hurricane Highway
Boat: Cal 29
Posts: 3,882
pirate Re: Is it really that HOT in America and the Caribbean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
+1 Why do some people think that comfort is a bad thing on yachts?
Tradition. Did Blythe, Chichester, the Roths, the Hiscocks have AC ?


Hell no!


AC is for Bumfuzzles.
__________________
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 19:21   #15
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,378
Re: Is it really that HOT in America and the Caribbean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
+1 Why do some people think that comfort is a bad thing on yachts?
Also, if you have air on a boat doesn't mean you have to turn it down to 20C. I'm perfectly happy with just enough cooling to cut the humidity and keep the edge off the heat. That does make the transition back to the outdoors less of a shock to the system.
__________________

__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Caribbean, rib

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Planning a trip - South America, Central America, Gulf States, lower Caribbean krismurphy01 Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans 4 30-11-2014 16:03
HOT HOT HOT! running AC on Honda generator sailorboy1 Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 12 09-07-2013 18:07
Some Ads Are Really Really Slow . . . Catamount Forum Tech Support & Site Help 3 15-01-2011 11:05
Hot water is TOO hot. By Invitation Construction, Maintenance & Refit 10 18-08-2007 07:02
Ohhhhh Hot! Hot! Hot! knottybuoyz Marine Electronics 6 01-06-2007 08:43



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:33.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.