Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 20:28   #61

Re: I just dont get it - Why ? WHY ST THOMAS ??

Need recommendations for some landlubbers visiting this November 22-24. They are attending a basketball tournament at University of the Virgin Islands, which appeaers to be on the western side of Charlotte Amalie.. The travel package being offered features rooms at Frenchman's Reef and Morningstar Marriott, which are on the other side of Charlotte Amalie.

1. Should they choose one of the resorts being offered, and if so, which one do people prefer? 1a. If they stay at one of these resorts, should they go for room only or for an all-inclusive package? (see rates below)

https://ems.resrunner.com/pjw

2. Are there other hotels they should consider?. (If I were going, I would look for a smaller place by a beach, with a kitchen, so I could make my own food and drinks, but that's just me. Anyone know of a good place like that?)

3. What are some things to do in St. Thomas when they are not at the beach or attending the games?

Thanks in advance. I have not been to St. Thomas in a very long time and I know some here are much more current than I am on the Island.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:22   #62

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: I just dont get it - Why ? WHY ST THOMAS ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo View Post
Need recommendations for some landlubbers visiting this November 22-24. . . .
You are going to get it! . . .

What size and make cruising boat do you friends live on and when do they sail into St Thomas?

When it comes to questions like that, this forum can be helpful and informative.

But it is not a "travel forum" for picking hotels, resorts, or things to do that do not involve cruising on a boat someway or another.

There are plenty of "ex-pat" forums for any particular place/location/country that is better equipped to informatively answer your questions. Try one of them.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:48   #63

Re: I just dont get it - Why? Why St Thomas?

Try Reviews of Hotels, Flights and Vacation Rentals - TripAdvisor - read through the reviews of every place you want to pick - very informative. Also has information on things to do and see. By the way, their forums are great: if you post a similar question to their St Thomas forum, you'll get a lot of feedback from people who live or have been steadily visiting the place over the years.

There's also Travel Guides, Hotel Reviews, Photos, Forums, Deals - VirtualTourist.com. Similar type of info.

Not sure which one's better for St Thomas, but in general I prefer trip advisor as a more mature website.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:35   #64

Quote:
A car battery was over 300 bucks. BUT my god it was beautiful!
For over 300 dollars, cash American, it better be a beautiful battery. I don't care if they're ugly as long as they hold "juice".

Bill Burgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 14:01   #65

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha View Post
LOL.
I just popped over there and put St Thomas in the search and the first two pages are mostly about how to get to BVI or somewhere else.

LOL
Old 12-05-2012, 14:41   #66

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Go to Google, or Bing, and type the following"St. Thomas, USVI"
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 15:35   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

I've used Trip Advisor a few times and hotels and resorts have mostly turned out to be as described.

That said I looked at a few reviews and I could see why they might not want them to be the first thing you find. You need to click on hotels and then put St. Thomas into the search box.

The concern of the OP about location is well justified. Finding, then getting to and from resorts has been my biggest problem.

I'd also suggest reading a few resort reviews. Every resort seems to get a least one bad review, possibly due to a disconnect between "island time" and the real world.

That said, the closest resort to UVI is the Colony Cove Beach Resort. It sounds lovely. Shame to only spend two days. Do book early as it looks to be the only resort close to the UVI.

Trip Advisor report here.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 18:30   #68

Boat: nothing
I enjoyed the stereotypical American bashing. Very new and refreshing.

Piglet is offline   Reply With Quote