Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2010, 04:41   #16
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
. Not a bad price to be in a country as beautiful, friendly and welcoming as Grenada. Even better if it gets rid of some grumpy moaners. .
I agree with you. Poor people should have a less beautiful place to go. With more surly locals.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 05:02   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I agree with you. Poor people should have a less beautiful place to go. With more surly locals.
I can sign log off, now that you've given me my morning belly-laugh.
Thanks!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 05:26   #18
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:

Nah, you need to keep the peasants - they look good in the holiday snaps
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 06:25   #19
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
I agree with you. Poor people should he a less beautiful place to go. With more surly locals.

ROTFL
Don´t think I´ve been anywhere inexpensive that wasn´t beautiful with friendly locals!
But lets face it, the windwards and leewards are an expensive place to cruise. Tinned food, fruit and veg, beer, eating out even in a local cafe, boat bits - none of it cheap. Though some people I met even payed for hotspot wifi in prickly bay! Such undreamed of wealth. £12.50 a month really isn´t the end of the world, is it?
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 06:50   #20
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
. £12.50 a month really isn´t the end of the world, is it?
Go put that on a "$500 per month" thread and you will be pilloried as a millionaire!

Seriously though, we are considering doing a hurricane season in the Caribbean to let the budget catch up. So an extra $264 might make us stay in Trinada and only do Grenada for 1 month instead of 3 or 4 months.

Its that hide behind an island thing.

Theres no use spending big when the idea is to save for a few months. We will look somewhere else where the palms are green and the coconuts are cool

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 07:16   #21

Quote:

ROFL
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 11:23   #22
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Seriously though, we are considering doing a hurricane season in the Caribbean to let the budget catch up. So an extra $264 might make us stay in Trinada and only do Grenada for 1 month instead of 3 or 4 months.
Just for the record, I got 3 month visa when i checked in atprickly bay, thought it was the same for everyone but could be wrong.
Would be even better there if they did doubles for breakfast at tt$3 like trini.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2010, 00:56   #23

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
One the subject of Trini versus Grenada, I seem to remember that in 2009 the security situation was getting very bad, with cruisers actually organising a night time dinghy patrol. Those of you in the know, is it still as bad?

If there is less crime or security is better in Grenada then I'd think that was a 'unique selling point' and be willing to pay the extra fee, just for a greater peace of mind.

We are still not sure what we are going to be doing this year and next, the islands may or may not feature in our plans but security will be an issue when we decide.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2010, 06:02   #24

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwife View Post
One the subject of Trini versus Grenada, I seem to remember that in 2009 the security situation was getting very bad, with cruisers actually organising a night time dinghy patrol. Those of you in the know, is it still as bad?
If there is less crime or security is better in Grenada then I'd think that was a 'unique selling point' and be willing to pay the extra fee, just for a greater peace of mind.
We are still not sure what we are going to be doing this year and next, the islands may or may not feature in our plans but security will be an issue when we decide.
P.
Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how you look at it. The security situation has reversed. We have had more incidents of stolen motors, dinghys, robberies, and even attempted murder against cruisers here in Grenada while Trinidad has settled down considerably. All over the Caribbean things move in cycles where one "bad" spot is now a "good" spot and vice versa.
- - Trinidad has 18 people for every one person in Grenada and Trinidad is a large industrial complex island and like most large cities around the world there is plenty of crime numerically in and around the "big" city. But the cruisers have adapted and do not anchor out except in one nicely protected little bay at TTSA. The rest are in marinas or on the hard -and - take simple security measures to thwart thefts because of the perceived reality of more potential crime. I have been going there once or twice a year for the last 6 years and have never had any incidents or even "close-to" an incident. But I do know of robberies and thefts that happened during that time period to friends and other cruisers. So it is not totally rosey or totally bad.
- - Unfortunately in the Windward Islands from Grenada north the historic near total absence of significant and even petty crime has passed and now there is significantly more incidents being reported and even seen first hand. The world is "even-ing" out with few if any places "free" of crime now. So it is important to take precautions and plan carefully everywhere, not just in the "historically" perceived bad places. Complaceny in the historically "good" places might be contributing to the increase in crime there as we don't think we have to be as aware and careful.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Grenada