Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2013, 11:45   #16

Boat: 44' Schucker
Re: Grenada to BVI in 8 days

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartsContent View Post
Interesting, you don't trust your husband's judgement and would defer to total strangers on the internet? Yikes!
OMG that's classic! Is this your hubby? > > > >

I'm so kidding and your question is very justified. My 2 Cents is this, it wouldn't matter is it was a car trip or a boat trip. MURPHY's LAW in my life has been go as far and fast as you can then relax at the end when on time restrictions. When on island time, no pressure no problem. The sun will always rise tomorrow no matter where you are.
Old 22-01-2013, 15:03   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorswife
Whoa! I have zero contempt for my husband. I thought this was a cruiser's forum? You know, where you can chat with other cruiser's with more knowlege than you may have? I'm not trolling the internet seeking out strangers to backstab the love of my life! When he asked me to come on trip and bring the wee ones, he said we'd need 2 weeks. I could only get 10 days (and we need 2 days to fly), leaving me 8 days for the delivery. His response was that 8 days is still plenty of time. I've done probably 50 deliveries with him in the past, and on several occasions he has been overly optimistic on time needed for me, not for him. His need to be on the water sometimes makes his assessment of what I am capable of a little fuzzy. I know my husband will be in heaven for 8 days even if its choppy and he never steps foot ashore along the way and the trip is nothing but a nonstop delivery. I merely wanted the opinion of other cruisers in a purported cruiser's forum for their thoughts. So please, spare me the "yikes" and "contempt" tsk tsks. I probably would have received a warmer reception on a random yahoo forum about bread baking.
I just have to comment... Tons of interesting people and comments on here if only some could keep the condescending comments to themselves...

Hope you have a nice trip, I'll be in St Martin on the 30th with my girlfriend, doing some island hoping! :-)
Lajos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 17:43   #18

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

LMAO... Welcome to CF Sailorswife...
If you do a stop make it Frenchside St Martin, Marigot Bay... its fast and simple clearing in... mornings/afternoons weekdays only.. and its a great jump off for the BVI's. Good food, wine and beaches..
+1 on that one -- just lock up the dinghy.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 02:36   #19

+1 on Les Saintes, then BVI. And, not sure if a quick stop at St Kitts or Saba would be interesting for 2 small kids.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 03:53   #20

Boat: Tartan 4100

SailorsWife,
Please don't condem the entire forum on the comments of two posters, this is still a fine place to be and to gain valuable info
Many of the postings have been very positive and letting you know that it is certainly doable to sail from Grenada to BVI's in your time period with a relaxing few days on the tail end. If you choose not to help out on the delivery, I am sure there's plenty of crew here that would love volunteer
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 08:21   #21

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Interesting, you don't trust your husband's judgement and would defer to total strangers on the internet? Yikes!
Maybe she knows her husband better than we do.
GrowleyMonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 09:04   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha View Post
+1 on Les Saintes, then BVI. And, not sure if a quick stop at St Kitts or Saba would be interesting for 2 small kids.
+2 on Les Saintes! a little difficult to anchor at times though. I heard they put in mooring bouys...?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 10:10   #23
Eternal Member

I'd do Grenada to BVI direct. It's 416 nautical miles on the rhumb line (been there, done that). You'll likely have favorable but brisk winds much/most of the way.

While stopovers in the Isles des Saintes or other are attractive, you risk losing too much time and, possibly, favorable conditions.

With two kids, I'd rather make it straight through to the BVI. Then, you'll know exactly how much time to play, and there's plenty to do there.

Bill
(sailing the Eastern Caribbean since 1969)
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 20:18   #24

Thanks everybody. We are getting excited and all of your helpful tips are just that, helpful! I must look into this Isles des Saintes as my hubs is adamant we make one stop before BVI so we are having a high ol' time debating the merits of this precious one-stop. And it looks like my Mother has gotten off work as well and is going to come help with the children (she and my husband get along great to boot! better than we do actually, hah!). It's all shaping up nicely. 6 more weeks and we're there (actually my husband gets to do the Oyster regatta so he's out of here in 5). My 5 year old who has done two Caribbean deliveries with us and loved even the choppy weather bits talks about the "boat trip" every morning as soon as her eyes pop open. My nightly prayer has become "Lord, if you need to take me this year, please let it be after we reach the BVI." Selfish, but to the point.
Sailorswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:14   #25

Quote:
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Grenada