Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2015, 11:20   #211

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Dutch sailor shot dead in Brazil-(Merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post

Regarding the country south of Brazil, Argentina new rules make it unsafe to change a light bulb on your boat. Foreign flagged boats are not allowed to have any work done on them in Argentinian ports and if they do are subject to seizure. Beware.
I don't think it is that new... I was given the 3rd degree in 2009. Aduana watched boat coming out of the water and took photos... after I had spent about a fortnight getting government permission to haul her.
Then had to get permission to splash her and the third degree on what work I had done...sheesh.... most countries would welcome you with open arms if you were spending money....
Old 16-03-2015, 11:29   #212
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
As of last week if you hold a US passport, YES.

As for those who don't sail the waters of South America it is easy to say this thread is of no interest to boaters. If you were sailing in South America I am sure you would be watching every twist and turn taking place. Political and social changes do affect sailors safety when they pull into port, anchor offshore or transit the coastlines. What is of no interest to one person could be life or boat saving advise to another.

Regarding the country south of Brazil, Argentina new rules make it unsafe to change a light bulb on your boat. Foreign flagged boats are not allowed to have any work done on them in Argentinian ports and if they do are subject to seizure. Beware.
Very decisive and to the point .Well said..Capital flight out of Argentina is rampant among those that have "Capital" as well in Venezuela ,Brazil etc..When gas prices hit below $2.00 (US) this summer the real dramas will hit the coffee shop circuit in Venezuela (in particular)but other places too after a few months of crazy low gas prices the strain will really begin to show...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 11:40   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpons View Post
On of the good things about this board is that is well moderated. I think we are going way off topic with political rants that are only sustained by rumor.

BTW, here is a pic of the "slummy" marina in downtown Buenos Aires, on a recovered old harbor. The only bad thing is the brown water (BA faces a river).

The rules of bringing boats (for a foreigner) in Argentina are not tougher than the ones in the US, where you need to notify days ahead of your plans or the EU, where they slap you a VAT if stay too long.

In Brazil and Uruguay, foreigners can leave the boat up to two years, but Argentina has a money-laundering problem. Many rich Argentinians bought foreign boats (as Delaware LLCs) to avoid reporting income and paying taxes, and now they are cracking down on that by forcing them to leave and reenter in shorter periods, to force their importation.

I'll see your Puerto Madero and raise you a 'Pristine Delta'... the municipal marina in San Fernando.
That is Ian on the blue boat - 'Stella'.... went missing a few years ago while singlehanding in the Indian Ocean.

KFC has been ruling Argentina by decree for some time... in the constitution it is allowed - in emergencies....she uses it almost daily. She tried to change the constitution last year so that she could rule for a third time but failed.
This is going to be an interesting year.

What exactly happened over Christmas. Did she sprain her ankle getting of Tango One, did she trip over a child's toy, or did she trip over the family dog? She trotted out the three different stories in rapid succession but word on the street is that she fell over while off her face.

If you want to haul in the Rio de la Plata area do it at Piriapolis... the local chandler can get you anything you need... including BA charts of the Falkland Islands.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1230.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	98946  
Old 16-03-2015, 12:11   #214

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Do you have any evidence of that? I do quite a bit of work on US- and Canadian-flagged boats in the San Fernando area and never heard of that.

Are you sure you are not referring to cases of Argentines who own foreign-flagged boats through Delaware corporations that are not declared in their tax returns and are caught taking local VAT and income tax deductions for expenses related to that boat as if it was an Argentine tax-paying business?
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 12:23   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
Do you have any evidence of that? I do quite a bit of work on US- and Canadian-flagged boats in the San Fernando area and never heard of that.

Are you sure you are not referring to cases of Argentines who own foreign-flagged boats through Delaware corporations that are not declared in their tax returns and are caught taking local VAT and income tax deductions for expenses related to that boat as if it was an Argentine tax-paying business?
I had quite a bit of work done on my boat - while afloat - . It was when out of the water that the Aduana stuck their bib in..... I just said ' no work done apart from antifouling ' which was pretty close to the truth...
Old 16-03-2015, 15:18   #216

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I agree with your take and a good example of us being reps. of our country's policy is the fella from Japan that was beheaded by DASH..They only talked about Goto because the other Japanese citizen was a terrorist(embarrassment) in his own right and was killed because he was Japanese even though he had professed to be Islamic and was fighting the infidel....
I'm sorry, I must have missed 60 minutes... are you saying that Haruna Yukawa was a terrorist?
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 15:26   #217
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Dutch sailor shot dead in Brazil-(Merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath68 View Post
I'm sorry, I must have missed 60 minutes... are you saying that Haruna Yukawa was a terrorist?
My understanding was that he was converted after capture being convinced he'd be spared.. something that the Mujahideen did with some captured Russian soldiers..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 15:49   #218

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Interesting about Cuba. If course this doesn't take into account State administered killings. Looks like Brazil is up there with Venezuela and Belize. Yes Government created poverty because of heavy handed State controls is something all of these high kill rate countries have in common.
Staying factual, the last in Cuba, for any reason, was..... 2003 (and then they executed 3).

However, in the USA, there were 574 state administered killings from 2003-2014.

Just staying factual.

I know many of my fellow Canadians who holiday in Cuba... they all feel exceptionally safe and comment on the friendly nature of the citizens. For many, it is the 'go to' holiday place.
Old 16-03-2015, 16:40   #219
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath68 View Post
Should have written that differently..He was called many things, a terrorist(by some),a genital mutilating homeless crazy man,A mercenary(yea that's a good one,more like gun totting Eunuch,what was he going to do protect the Harem? Or sing Castrato for the boys on the front lines of the FSA?) To some a terrorist to others an embarrassment..From the sound of things you have missed a lot more than 60 minutes...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 16:42   #220

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Staying factual, the last in Cuba, for any reason, was..... 2003 (and then they executed 3).

Just staying factual.

I know many of my fellow Canadians who holiday in Cuba... they all feel exceptionally safe and comment on the friendly nature of the citizens. For many, it is the 'go to' holiday place.
Indeed...
Mark1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 17:25   #221

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:

Just staying factual.

I think your example does not really have them in the same context. But I think you know that.
Old 16-03-2015, 17:33   #222

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I don't think it is that new... I was given the 3rd degree in 2009. Aduana watched boat coming out of the water and took photos... after I had spent about a fortnight getting government permission to haul her.
Then had to get permission to splash her and the third degree on what work I had done...sheesh.... most countries would welcome you with open arms if you were spending money....
Thanks El Pinguino for collaborating the facts. I am sure you know how capricious the rules can be applied and you never know if they will stick it to you or not. In a lot of cases rules are enforced in order to extract a quick bribe. In others they impose rules on unsuspecting people to take their property.

Glad to see someone on here that understands the reality of life in that part of the world.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 17:54   #223

Quote:

Just staying factual.

My reference to the Government engineered killings in parts of Latin America is the reality that the Government's have created economic rat holes that have in turn created a violent desporado class who kill a fellow human with as much thought you would use in scratching your nose.

Add to the Government created killing fields they call countries you have a place like Cuba where the population has been pacified. Years of political oppression, arrests and yes torture and State killings has left a communist state that has the population under its thumb. So few dissidents are left in the past decade to kill by firing squad but they still have their torture chambers and jails for those who's only crime is to yearn for freedom.

I'm glad you and your Canadian friends enjoy having cheap holidays in this Island gulag. I understand a lot of Germans and other Europeans also travel there for the cheap hotel rooms and the inexpensive sex trade.

Yes after all the State killings in Cuba it is relatively safe now. Just don't bring books written by Milton Friedman. I can't say the same for a lot of other Latin States who are desperately trying to adopt the Cuban model. State caused poverty in these countries have lead to dangerously high murder rates.

When pulling into port or travelling the coast of South America one should be very aware of what is going on especially since safety can change rapidly as so can rules and regulations.

Then you have the case of Cuba that for me has moral issues of whether I will pull into port there and in doing so support the communist dictatorship and the continued suppression of its people.

So bottom line when sailing SA. Be extra aware and careful.
Old 16-03-2015, 19:17   #224

Boat: C&C 25

So what is this thread supposed to be about ??

A Dead sailor ??? Why is it that we cannot find it in ourselves to morn the loss of life of a sailor , a brother of the sea, whom will never have the joy of sailing again.

We are all poorer .
tightgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 19:43   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightgroup View Post
So what is this thread supposed to be about ??

A Dead sailor ??? Why is it that we cannot find it in ourselves to morn the loss of life of a sailor , a brother of the sea, whom will never have the joy of sailing again.

We are all poorer .
The living of course morn this poor man's death. The wise will learn from it and help instruct others not to make the same mistakes. Be aware of places that are unsafe is the first lesson.

Tags
Brazil, sail