Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2006, 19:25   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
Crystal River FL to Georgetown

I will be helping a friend sail his boat from Crystal River to Georgetown sometime in Nov-Dec. The boat is a Roberts 53 sloop with 7 foot draft. I may only have two weeks so does this sound doable in this amount of time. My biggest concern is getting held up waiting for a weather window to cross the Stream. My other thought would be to meet in Miami as to have more time to wait it out. My other thought would be to bail out in Nassau if I run short of time. Any info on typical weather and passage time from Crystal River to Miami this time of year and Miami on to Georgetown would be appreciated. I would be especially interested to get some input from CSY Man .
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 05:16   #2

Boat: 36 gulfstar
With a seven foot draft, will you be going through the Okeechobee waterway or around through the Keys?

Richard
seaclusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 06:03   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Steve,

Everything depends on the weather. Miami to Nassau can be handily done in 30 hours. If you leave Miami as the wind clocks you can ride that front right to Nassau. Nassau to GT is about 160 miles. You might have to wait for weather in Nassau for the run to GT. One day to get across the White/Yellow Banks and then, if the weather holds, another day to go out into Exuma Sound and down to GT. Waiting for two or three weeks in Miami is not unheard of but with a 53 foot boat your skipper might proceed where smaller boats wouldn't. Having a deadline puts a skipper in an uncomfortable position and might contribute to making a decision to proceed when it would be prudent to sit tight. Having said this, if your two weeks starts when you leave Miami, you have a good shot at making it to GT within that time period.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:19   #4

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
If time is of the essence and the goal is to get the boat to GT in a 2 week window, consider going south through the Keys, then across Cay Sal Bank. There is a route with enough depth south of Andros, across the Tongue of the Ocean, over to Galliot Cut and down to GT.

It will be less sea miles and much faster then going back north as far as Nassau. It will not be a sight seeing trip. It will be several days of standing watches. Maybe you can get one or two others to share the watch.

All this assumes a decent weather window.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 20:57   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The intent is to sail direct to Key West from Crystal River, I don't think the Okeechobee was considered a vaible route due to draft. The Cal Sal Bank route was one I had not thought about. I will have to pass that one on to my friend.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:00   #6

Ditto with what Sunspot Baby said. Go south of Andros. 2 wks isn't a cakewalk unless the weather favors you. 15' Bahama banks in 25kt winds with cross currents can kick up quite a chop, even for 53'.
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:34   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Steve:
The trip is "doable" ~ but I'm sorry to suggest that you're friend shouldn't absolutely count on you.
1. If you only have 2 specific weeks.
2. And your schedule will determine when your clock starts running, but the weather will determine when the voyage begins.

Then: a significant portion of your alloted time (to this endeavour, not "on earth") could be consumed in waiting for a weather window.

3. Schedules Kill !!!! (Note that the Shuttle has been, once again, delayed - tho' they have ample motivation to go now - they've a space station to complete)

4. I've NEVER accepted a delivery, wherein, either I or the client had a firm schedule. There is no amount of money (I"ve been offered exhorbitant fees) that justifies imprudent scheduling. See (3) above ~ it bears repeating. Notwithstanding, friendship might weight more heavily than mere commerce.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:09   #8

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Gord's advice is worth heeding.

Remember that the most dangerous thing on a boat is a calendar.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 13:01   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rust
The intent is to sail direct to Key West from Crystal River, I don't think the Okeechobee was considered a vaible route due to draft. The Cal Sal Bank route was one I had not thought about. I will have to pass that one on to my friend.
It's not just a water draft issue, either. It is also an "air draft" problem. There is a bridge that has only 48' of vertical along the waterway.
“…whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people’s hats off them, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can.” - Melville
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 14:46   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The two week timeframe is somewhat flexible as I am self employed but the downside is I don't get paid when not working. As work stands now I am booked up thur the end of Oct. and then locked into a long term project starting in January. Small projects in Nov-Dec. can be juggled to fit my timeframe.
Old 26-08-2007, 11:03   #11

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
I'm glad that someone finally came up with an air draft answer, I guess I won't be going thru okeechobee waterway. 53' clearance. Didn't really want to go that way anyway. Guess I'll just drop down to Marathon and go thru the 7 mile bridge and head to Texas.
Thanks for the info
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown