Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2017, 23:13   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Caribbean Ceuising

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
...Big monied interests want Caribbean cruising dollars, but Caribbean governments turn a blind eye to crime against our sailing brotherhood. Sail elsewhere and they might find the resolve to stop biting the hand that feeds them.
"Big Monied Interests" could care less about chasing relative pennies from cruisers...there are much more lucrative sectors such as mainstream tourism. Except for a few cruiser hang outs and boat yards, cruisers are not a significant economic consideration in most venues.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 00:14   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

What silliness - one more arm chair sailor that should only use his boat as a drinking platform and a place to type expert information on cruising -
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 00:57   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
It seems that my post regarding the dangers of the Caribbean as a cruising destination for American sailors has been deleted. There are websites detailing the violent crimes committed against yacht owners in the waters of Caribbean nations. Go there. The governments involved have no interest in your safety or losses. Why not cruise elsewhere? Big monied interests want Caribbean cruising dollars, but Caribbean governments turn a blind eye to crime against our sailing brotherhood. Sail elsewhere and they might find the resolve to stop biting the hand that feeds them.
It may add some degree of credibility to your currently unsupported allegations if you provide links to these supposed sites.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 03:34   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Caribbean Ceuising

Quote:
It seems that my post regarding the dangers of the Caribbean as a cruising destination for American sailors has been deleted. There are websites detailing the violent crimes committed against yacht owners in the waters of Caribbean nations. Go there. The governments involved have no interest in your safety or losses. Why not cruise elsewhere? Big monied interests want Caribbean cruising dollars, but Caribbean governments turn a blind eye to crime against our sailing brotherhood. Sail elsewhere and they might find the resolve to stop biting the hand that feeds them.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 06:26   #20

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Quote:
It seems that my post regarding the dangers of the Caribbean as a cruising destination for American sailors has been deleted. ...
Is it this one here?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...an-185043.html
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 06:54   #21

Boat: Lagoon 450 F
Re: Cruising the Caribbean

TROLL (tm)...

More than happy for the OP to take his guns and narrowminded views and stay OUT of the Caribbean, leaving it for the rest of us to enjoy in safety...

As a fairly sentient primate skipper, I'm more than happy to sail down there an enjoy the wonders that are on offer, in fair safety with FAR less caution than is needed in many cities of the world, especially many in the USA.

IMO, troubled arrogant attitude such as above, brings its own troubles down upon it....

Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 06:56   #22

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Glad you told me this. We were going to go back to the Caribbean this fall, which we have very much enjoyed on two extended visits, but guess we should not do this since it is so dangerous.

Have you actually cruised in the Caribbean?
Old 21-05-2017, 07:15   #23

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Quote:
You are in dreamland. Look at the many websites that detail crimes against cruisers in the Caribbean. I suppose the question is, why are you looking to deny an obviou$ problem?
Quote:
How about going beyond your limited experiences and statistically re viewing the crime data that occurs to the rest of cruisers who frequent the waters you've sailed? Firearms are not even an issue because of local laws. Read the statistics of crime. Personal testimonials mean nothing next to them.
This guy's never been to the Caribbean, but he's calling those that have and referring to established cruiser safety websites as "limited experience" and "dreamland," and has yet to document any of his doomsday sources.

Dr. Madwand Esquire III
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 07:22   #24

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41
Re: Caribbean Cruising

I live in the Caribbean. St Thomas for nearly ten years. Still safer than Chicago and Baltimore. The sailing is better to. I have also been fortunate enough to sail around parts of Puerto Rico, Culebra, St Croix, the BVI's, St Martin, and Anguila. I feel safe here sure you can find trouble if you want it and there is some petty theft around.

As for the the OP's issues with safety at Sea and cruising it seems fairly obvious that he needs to have his boat trucked to Montana. While I have never been to Flathead Lake it looks like a perfect place to whole up with some guns in the wilderness and stay safe.
Flathead Lake
captainjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 07:25   #25

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Have you ever cruised in Texas or the Bahamas?

Texans are everywhere in the western Caribbean and yes I have cruised in the Bahamas. Lots of guns.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 08:28   #26
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Texans are everywhere in the western Caribbean and yes I have cruised in the Bahamas. Lots of guns.

Only guns I've run across in the Bahamas were those owned by the paranoid American cruiser.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 08:34   #27

Boat: Tanzer 22

Quote:
Only guns I've run across in the Bahamas were those owned by the paranoid American cruiser.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Some say paranoid, others say prepared.
NoahTreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 08:37   #28

How arrogant are you that you think we are incapable of deciding on our own what is and isn't acceptable levels of risk? What makes you think any of us give a **** what you think?
Old 21-05-2017, 08:37   #29

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Exactly. Almost all the cruisers are American's too.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 08:39   #30
cruiser

I don't understand why you would start a thread like this unless to troll. What a terrible disposition.

It's really horrible here in the Med too.... lots of foreigners.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, cruising, rib